So, I was looking at textures earlier tonight. Much earlier. Skinning has been on my mind lately for the new site and I was site hopping. Well, one thing led to another and I found Vivaldi. I downloaded it and am currently using it while I browse the interwebs and fight a headache. Do you know, I don't think computers and headaches go together very well. >.< Vivaldi looks brilliant. You can actually decide where all your tabs go (top, bottom, right, left). I'm playing with having a whole bunch of them on the right side. After having customized it and used it, plus I need to read more about the company that made it, I was curious to see if anyone else here knew about it and what browsers everyone generally used. My common go-to is chrome.

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

• Admin

My primary is Firefox with a secondary of Chrome. I test in IE and sometimes I'll even test in Opera.

If we are talking coding Wise I like Firefox with Firebug followed by Chrome's Dev tools (I use Chrome for responsive design).

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Yeah a friend of mine said he preferred to keep his robust adblocking, so he's also sticking with firefox. But I think Vivaldi has some potential to evolve beautifully so I expect good plugins with them. I like both Firefox and Chrome myself for their usefulness in variety of ways.

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

be geeky with me!

• Admin

@kay I have the best ad blocker on the Internet and it is not integrated with my browser.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

• Admin

I can easily explain here. I don't use Ad Block Plus or anything like that. It blocks "too much" content. Although my understanding is that you can also block specific things that annoy you. However I use a Hosts file. What that does is it basically takes ad sites and redirects it to a site that doesn't exist (aka my own computer). This has some issues, I know that there are some Top sites that are flagged in it as well as the viglink redirects (you also cannot use the google advertisement listings on google due to the URL) but it works sooo well. Heck I hardly get any youtube ads even. Until recently I never got them.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Enjoy

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Listen.

I'm that person your friend warns you about that has too many browsers. =P I have heard of Vivaldi but never tried it.

Every day, I use Chrome, uhh Firefox, Opera, Edge, I check codes in IE, I used to use Flock, Epiphany is a neat one, I also have uhhhhh... uhh. Crap - oh, Safari for Windows, I never did remove it, but in all fairness I never use it. I've also used Midori, Konqueror, and some other one that only works on Linux distros so tbh let's just pretend it doesn't exist.

I think I use so many any more, I'm just like whatever. All my info is in Chrome so it's go-to, but I can deal with pretty much anything. I really like Opera, honestly. Edge is a much better improvement over IE, but not where it counts. It can only stay running for a certain period of time before its tabs all decide to have a crash party. :/ Eeeeeuuugh. I'm always on the comp, I can't. Lol To be entirely honest about it, my server's controls use Java to run, and Chrome does not like Java any more, so I went digging for an alternative and somehow ended up with 8934738473845.

S. m. h.

• I read this! 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Personally I use Chrome or Safari the most but then it depends on where I am browsing.  It sit on my computer its Chrome if it's my iPad it's Safari.  I used to have a few other browsers on my laptop before I had to get a new one well a new to me one.  The only browser I refuse to use is Firefox.  I used to use it in the past before I knew about chrome but it would never keep anything I bookmarked so I started to hate it with a passion.  I've used Opera before as well and it seemed like a pretty cool browser.  This thread is the first time I have heard of Vivaldi.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

@Arceus you sound like me. I'm usually trying out anything I come across. Productive app for windows? Hell yes. New, useful plugin that'll improve my interwebs game? BRING IT. What's this, a new browser? DOWNLOAD IT.  So far I've kept to vivaldi while in rpginitiative, so I can keep coming back to it while I test other things, then going to Chrome for my usual stuff like email, gdocs for world building the new site, etc. Perhaps when I start graphics and skinning, I'll test across all browsers that way too! I actually enjoy Edge, but for like a few minutes at a time. LOL. There is that innate, elitist in me going, "That's still IE." Hmmm, Flock and Epiphany... *writes this down*

@KARA BELLA I think Vivaldi is a response to Opera because of some issues with that. I'm actually enjoying it very much. It's still so weird to have all the tabs down on the right side (where I chose it to be). I've never had the bookmarks issue with Firefox. You're making me want to diagnose the problem, lol. Lemme look at your computer and at firefox! *sits on hands* But truthfully, Firefox takes up a lot of CPU processing more than the other browsers, even if it's incredible at its functions and rendering. I wish it wouldn't be so large. It's like the difference between Skype and Slack/Discord/AIM. Skype has fucking amazing features (one of my favorites is video messages, where I can just leave a message instead of being in a video call. this way I can hit and run, while being super goofy), but that program is huge. Huge huge huge. It's like staggering suddenly with no burden on you when you go to use Slack or Discord programs -- which runs beautifully without loading you up too much. Elegance > Bulky, every time!

• I read this! 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

be geeky with me!

• Admin
11 minutes ago, kay said:

Firefox takes up a lot of CPU processing more than the other browsers, even if it's incredible at its functions and rendering.

I actually have this problem more with Chrome then Firefox. The difference between the two is that all of Firefox is one process where Chrome separates each tab into individual processes. The problem with the way that Chrome handles it versus FF for me is that I terminate FF and it's gone and I reopen and I'm good to go. With Chrome I have to go hunting for additional processes because terminating one doesn't terminate all of them. (This is in part to how Chrome also has background processes like hangouts etc that it doesn't want to terminate when you close the window).

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

4 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

I actually have this problem more with Chrome then Firefox. The difference between the two is that all of Firefox is one process where Chrome separates each tab into individual processes. The problem with the way that Chrome handles it versus FF for me is that I terminate FF and it's gone and I reopen and I'm good to go. With Chrome I have to go hunting for additional processes because terminating one doesn't terminate all of them. (This is in part to how Chrome also has background processes like hangouts etc that it doesn't want to terminate when you close the window).

That's true. I suppose both balances out in a way, because CPU spikes often and I watch FF get all eeeee. Then when I scroll down and look at other processes, Chrome has like 10 processes and I realize it's all my tabs. It's interesting... and annoying. 

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

be geeky with me!

• Admin

@kay Yeah. Same. That's why FF manages it better for me personally. I have far more then 10 tabs open at any given time. I have like 15 tabs per window and normally 2-4 windows open + more. Plus Firebug and any other web item that I need.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

I've personally found that Firefox is much better than chromium under Linux. It's an open source beast designed first for open source OS. Just like Safari is better on OS X than most other browsers because it's designed for the Apple ecosystem first and foremost.

For a while, I was using Chrome at work, where I'm stuck on Windows XP (I know it's ends of life, bosses won't upgrade me 😢), and it worked a bit better... But I missed certain extensions in Firefox so I made the switch back.

• I read this! 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain