Amount of information included in lore for a site

Icewolf

This is mainly a question for those people who run fandom boards. When I set my board up, I assumed that people who are interested in joining would already be familiar with much of the history, storyline, characters, the setting, etc, but I have been told that I should add some lore to the site. I was just wondering what you think is essential to include when writing bits of lore, what would be too much information (I don't need to recreate all the information found on Tolkien Gateway or the LOTR wiki! I don't have the time, nor the inclination to do that.) I just need the minimum and to be able to point people in the right direction if they wanted to know more details of something that isn't commonly known, etc.

And also, when making canon wanted ads and lists, what information should be included there? This is mainly to spark people's interest in taking the character up, but again, I don't want to create a "Guide to characters" level of information, just the basics for the character.

I can only talk for SHIELD. 

SHIELD I have things seperated into two areas. I have very basic information that goes in the 'contract of employment' board - where I house rules, etc. Some of this may get moved around should I make a dedicated category for additional shops.

Then I have my Additional information board. This is pretty much where I post all other areas of lore that may be of interest, and that people may wish to read but they're not actually important. They're just providing extra flavour text etc. 

So basically you can never have too much lore (I also keep a record of all canon bios and have them posted in a canon bio board so that the next person if there is a next person can take over the posting and bio and see where we got to). The big thing I've found is mark up clearly what's required to be read, what's optional etc.

adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

This has helped me. I suppose what I need as lore should just be based around general information about races so that people have some help with creating their own characters. I not got around to doing that yet, but it is something I should have done by now.

Would a list of canon characters with links to the info found on the wiki and Tolkien Gateway be enough? The problem with this is knowing when to stop so I can get some ic posts written.

Fandoms generally don't need much in the way of information/lore. General setting such as what time period the board exists in compared to the timeline of the source material is usually good to include somewhere; perhaps some basic overviews regarding playable races (just to refresh people's memories who may be writing characters up), but anything else is really just flavor text on your part.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I always provide a small group of lore threads that summarises the:

Basic World info, e.g kingdom and regions, towns, etc

Playable and not-zplayable-but-vital races & species, with just a sentence or four detailing the latter.

Magic system, if any.

Religion, culture, time period, crime & punishment, if any.

Then I provide shortcuts/highlights to major parts of the wikia!

What I've done in the past is come up with a list of good resources for newbies to the fandom to read, like important wiki links that our forum has been constructed on. If the races are super important and there's lots of emphasis on that, or you can only play certain types of races, then there would be a special header with the links to all the allowed races posted.

It also helps to have a summary of what has happened so far (though that is true of any forum) and what is different from any fandom canon- if there's anything at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Lore is always dependent on your audience. If you want lore heavy people have a lore heavy site. If you want people that can just jump right in than have less.

Guides are always key in my opinion but overall you need to make it something that's easy to navigate.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.