System implementation.

So I've never implemented a 'system' into an rp before (i.e. posts = points to buy things with), but I have always wanted to, and now that I don't have to work with the wants of people who don't like the idea..I want to implement a system for the site that I've been slowly building.

I have a basic idea for where I want to go with it, but a few things that I need input on.

With a system where points add up and people can purchase items/abilities/spells for characters is it most common to allow players to pool all of their earned points from various characters in order to purchase things, or more so keeping it to 'this character account has these points, which can only be spent on this character.'? If the second option..how does one work with species classifications that one must be 'born' into? (Example: the species lore I have for vampires allows them to be born (I know..most don't agree with this idea, but my version of vampires who are 'born' makes them less so undead creatures of the night..) or turned..but because of the way I have born vamps written I would prefer to limit the number of those that are playable.

However, I suppose that the option of simply demanding that all vampires (wether born or turned) are still young enough to have to learn everything isn't entirely out of the question. 

What would you do/prefer to see?

• Admin

Hey @PretendThisNeverHappened! These are all great questions;

For the first part "Pool or don't pool" this all depends on how you implement it. If you are looking to basically have characters improve based on their posts (which is basically what the "no pool" method means but with currency) than you want to only allow them to use it for the character they are on. If you don't mind that they just throw a new ability at a character (which is my preferred method) than let them pool it.

As for the latter question. If you go for the former method, forcing the points to only be used on the character they are earned on I recommend that you still allow OOC accounts to earn and than those points can be used exclusively for new characters. The latter wouldn't affect this as then they could use all points collectively.

I hope that helps at least so my opinion.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

It does help! But it also raises a new question. If I were to use the 'no pool' method what kind of things count towards points for OOC accounts?

Edited by PretendThisNeverHappened

• Admin

Anything that is OOC. Games, posting in your lists to add the characters, OOC contests or challenges. Etc.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Advantage of not pooling between characters: it can potentially provide passive resistance to system abuse. Example? Someone really really really wants one of these born as a vampire characters, but you made them expensive because they're supposed to be special. Person doesn't want to wait, so they create a lot of npcs to do a lot of posting to gain points fast and they don't care about the quality of their posting. Then when they have enough points, they just let the characters languish. If points stick to characters, it's harder to do this.

Just food for thought.

• Agree 2

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain