Roleplay Preferences

Morrigan

The Preference Poll  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

Just a quick poll on what you use. You are free to give any reasons on why you use it but I'm looking t find out what people prefer now.

After this poll we may come up with others for more preference items (more skin specific etc) we want to see some general likes of what you like to see on some basic information on RPs for now.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Software:

Personally I prefer forums. I'll play on pretty much any... Though that said I don't have much love for proboards. (If I were making a game, I'd stick to either Jcink, Icyboards or self-hosted MyBB because I know them.)

Email is fine for 2 people but trying to do anymore than that seems like it could be kinda annoying.

Though I haven't tried journal types I don't feel like they're laid out as well for roleplay (it seems like it'd be a lot more linking back and forth to each other's posts). Twitter is just not enough room for anything to happen. (With only 140 characters it's basically just getting started and you're ending. That or you have to write like 50 tweets to do anything.) And facebook... well, it can just go die in a ditch.

Coding (in posts):

I don't like having to use HTML or overly complicated BBcode layouts in posts. Though I do like the option of having BBcode. This way I can add some emphasis here and there (as needed) without relying on html (which generally isn't allowed, nor should it be really...).

Templates:

I'm fine with templates (either html or bbcode) for some things because it makes sense. Like having a template for the character sheet or plot page makes sense. (It allows quick, at a glance method to locate important info.) But I don't like templates in the in character posts. Templates for IC stuff tends to be more distracting and more about looks than any actual function. Plus in many cases templates hinder attempts to read rather than anything. (People who use tiny fonts, hover or huge images that compact text into tiny spaces.) So I'd rather people didn't use templates for any IC stuff. 

Face claims:

I don't like playbys. I've said it before but I'll repeat it here. People get way too obsessed with them. To the point that people won't even play on sites if they can't use their favourites. Which is a bit asinine to me. It says that they're more interested in playing that actor(actress)/celeb than playing that character. That is something I find a bit creepy. 

Even when they aren't quite that far, people still spend a ton of time fawning and shipping characters based solely on their playbys. It's caused a fair share of drama when people fight over playbys. EX- When A wants to ship <characters> because of faces but B doesn't want to.

Who's Who list:

If there is a who's who list I like it to be fairly minimal. Don't waste space listing the player's personal info (short of a link to their profile). Just give the basics about who this person plays (with links to either the character sheet itself or their profile). Skip the face part because it really shouldn't matter and again only contributes to the massive focus on playbys. (Plus huge numbers of images like this can slow a site down some. Again, not everyone has ultra high speed Google Fiber internet... Some people have only their phones on a 3G network.)

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Re: Playbys - Before I started poking around forums like this one to advertise, I hadn't even heard the term before. On the trek sims I frequent people just picked a face, it went in the bio, and it was no big deal. We often would have a mix of Photoshop and hand drawn because the alien species made it a little more involved. Sure, you'd see certain popular actors frequently, but they'd usually be different ages, Photoshopped to be different species, etc, so even even you'd have duplicates it wasn't a big deal.

Really, I just don't get it.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

I've done chat room style RP many many years ago, while it was fun at the time but it was very short lived. Once I got back into RPing I started on ProBoards and stuck with it for the past 11 years, I'm use to it and don't want to learn another coding style.

Platform:

Pretty much any type of forum style platform.  I tried a chat RP one time, but I felt very limited in what I was able to do.  I much prefer forums.

Coding (in posts):

Although I like to keep things simple in posts, don't want too much clutter, it is nice to have options.  HTML is a little involved, not quite sure why you'd want to use it for every post.  BBcode is great to have.  Simple options, simple code.

Templates:

I'm fine with templates for character sheets and trackers, but I dislike them for posts.  Unless the template is simple enough, there's just too much distraction.  Also, though I don't use my phone much to look at forum stuff, I don't like the thought of not being able to read someone's post simply because they used a template.

Face Claims:

Never really understood them.  Don't particularly care for them, nor do I particularly dislike them.  Then again, I haven't really been on a site that uses face claims, I tend to go with more fantasy type or animal RPs, so I don't run into face claims much.

Who's Who:

Preferably nice and simple, also will depend on the RP type for exactly what it looks like.  Typically something like this: Name of the RPer, with a list of the characters they play.  Player tagged and names of characters are also links to their character sheet is my preferred method.

Ivyclan Forever ♦ The Fandom Gathering