CovertSphinx

How do you guys feel about Offsite Lore and board related information?

I know some boards have facebook pages, or twitters, that pretty much handle newsfeed type stuff and tags. But has anybody tried things like, a "Hype Blog", using a Wikia account to map Original Content (like location information etc), etc. Rather than clogging up a whole board with a ton of lore threads that end up looking kind of overwhelming at a certain point.

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• Admin

I've seen many people use wiki's. In fact the first site I can think of off the top of my head is Abiset Omen? I think that's how you spell it. They use a self hosted wiki on their site and it works really well for them.

Me personally? I've never tried it but that's mostly because I find Wiki's a PITA to skin personally and I don't have time for it. As long as it's well organized I'm sure it would be great.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I use a wiki for my own site (I've bridged the forum and wiki so the forum's login works on both, and yeah... skinning it to look like the site did require a bit of work). For the most part people seem to like it. I've put a ton of extra stuff there that maybe isn't super important to everyone but can be cool to reference. (Or bits where actions people have taken have changed things up. Like one character was given an experimental bit of tech, but they lost it and it fell into the hands of a bounty hunter who then sold it and got rich... which then also lead to a rise of criminals with a version of that experimental tech.) Plus a log of history and events so people can see what has happened. I also have all the powers that I've created there too. (Since in cyberspace areas players can sometimes access any power in their HQ's reserve... Which gives them over a hundred powers to play with.) 

I also have all kinds of other guides and stuff there too. From stuff about writing to running games and other cool things like that. Overall if you have the time/energy to do it then it can definitely be worth it. But it's not necessary. Having everything on the forum itself can be good too. 

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I've always rather liked the idea of a wiki but my lore has never been in-depth to consider actually using one.

For Pirates, I just use Tumblr to provide links to interesting (relevant) tidbits. (Although it's a pain to update when it was last updated on the forum's index. I could use the API but meh, I couldn't work out to make it work how I want it to and the index is cluttered anyway.)

From me as a members POV, a well organised wiki is cool.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I like liking to a fandom wikia, for extensive lore like weapons, maps, magic, etc. Short and to the point. But I find it hard to use original rp wikis, as most ones I see just go on and on with sub-sub categories for every little thing.

It's cool. But I find it redundant with Jcink. There's webpages which you can quite easily place lore into without creating a million threads. That's what I do. :)

Edited by Honorem
  • Great Idea 1