We sometimes try to impress people we just met by not trying to impress them

gist

Hi, I’m gist.  You may have seen me around elsewhere at some point either as gist or its longer, “someone is already using ‘gist’” version, getinkshedtears.

A few days ago, I turned 32 (and ugh am I feeling it), which makes me older than most of the crowd most of the time.  I’ve been doing this collaborative writing thing for … over half of my time on earth.  You might think by now I’d be an expert at the business of introducing myself for roleplaying purposes; or that, in the last fifteen years, I might have taken the time to write up one perfect, all-purpose blurb that I could just copy and paste whenever the occasion arose.  But you’d be wrong.  It’s always a fresh, from-scratch struggle to day something a little different about the same set of details -- not least because the subject just isn’t all that interesting to start with.

I am, in no particular order, a Hoosier, lady, executive assistant, hobby programmer, music nerd, and booze enthusiast.  Ages ago, I majored in English at one of those small, liberal arts ivory towers everyone has fun mocking, but I’m out of student debt as of … May?  So take that.  Once upon a time, I had writing aspirations.  These days my residual urges to arrange words in pleasing formations lingers pretty much solely via my continued connection to the RP community.

I’m not a gregarious person.  Big venues do nothing for me; I like my one-on-one projects and the handful of writing buddies with whom I consider myself tight.  NEVERTHELESS I have ended up, through a series of misadventures, building, running, and doing most of the writing on a forum.  It makes absolutely no sense that I’m doing this, but I’m determined to put the right amount of effort into keeping it afloat.  To that end, I’m really just here to pimp said forum.  Eventually.  But you have this minimum post thing, and since I’m incapable of half-measures, I guess you get the full monty until I hit my quota.   Until then, I’ll just keep popping up from time to time.  It’s a well-put-together site, and I’m happy to be here.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

3 hours ago, Rune said:

Welcome to the fun! Reply to this and you'll be one post closer!

I can't help thinking this might be a trap ...

I'm not going to lie, I had to look up "Hoosier" on google. Then, as a NYer, I chuckled with appreciation and learned an interesting new fact. 

So like, I too joined The Initiative to pimp out my newest creation - as, being almost 30 myself, most of my old RP Squad have all left the hobby. Then I got sucked into conversations in the forums and can't imagine how/why I didn't find this awesome place sooner. Here's to hoping you get sucked in just as much, because you seem cool. 

• Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

38 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

I'm not going to lie, I had to look up "Hoosier" on google. Then, as a NYer, I chuckled with appreciation and learned an interesting new fact. 

So like, I too joined The Initiative to pimp out my newest creation - as, being almost 30 myself, most of my old RP Squad have all left the hobby. Then I got sucked into conversations in the forums and can't imagine how/why I didn't find this awesome place sooner. Here's to hoping you get sucked in just as much, because you seem cool. 

Thanks -- you seem cool, too.  Hooray for the OGs!

This is probably a very regional failing, but never in a million years would it have occurred to me that "Hoosier" was an obscure term for anyone in the US.  Tmyk for both of us!  It's kind of a stupid word, but still less awkward on the tongue than "Indianan ..."

• Love 1

• Admin

Welcome to the Initiative @gist you'll actually find a good majority of our members are 25+. You can see so in this awesome thread here:

We're glad to have you. Hope you enjoy your time.

• Like 1
  • Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Welcome, @gist! We're happy to have you here. 🙂

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

Welcome! I looked up Hoosier too, because in my first opinion it had to be a cavalry soldier in red uniform from one of the European countries 😛 But those are written hussars 🙂

• LOL 1

Welcome to the site, gist. This place is definitely a good way for you to find a place to write or just to get to know the community better.

Glad to have you here.

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

14 hours ago, Elena said:

Welcome! I looked up Hoosier too, because in my first opinion it had to be a cavalry soldier in red uniform from one of the European countries 😛 But those are written hussars 🙂

Yeah, "Hungarian horsemen" would be a way cooler etymology than "rubes shouting 'who's there' at one another" -- which I think might be an old wive's tale, but it's the one I choose to subscribe to ...

8 hours ago, daedric prince said:

Welcome to the site, gist. This place is definitely a good way for you to find a place to write or just to get to know the community better.

Glad to have you here.

The last  thing I need is another place to write.  (A fact that has never prevented me from keeping an eye out for other places to write.)

Edited by gist
  • Love 1

@gist

Are we the same person? I'm a little concerned. I, too, am older than the average crowd, a Hoosier, a music nerd, and a pretend wine snob. Anyway, you seem pretty legit so I wanted to say hello. 🙂

Ad.png

15 minutes ago, eleholly said:

@gist

Are we the same person? I'm a little concerned. I, too, am older than the average crowd, a Hoosier, a music nerd, and a pretend wine snob. Anyway, you seem pretty legit so I wanted to say hello. 🙂

For real?  Maybe we are the same person ...  red or white?

And if it's not super-intrusive, where in Indiana?  (Fair's fair: I'm in the central/Indy-ish area.)

53 minutes ago, gist said:

For real?  Maybe we are the same person ...  red or white?

And if it's not super-intrusive, where in Indiana?  (Fair's fair: I'm in the central/Indy-ish area.)

Um, the only answer is both. 

I grew up in north central. Think Purdue but like more central. I live in New York now for my job and my husband but c'est la vie, a Hoosier born and raised. I used to work in Noblesville and Zionsville, so I'm familiar with the northern burbs of the city. 

Ad.png