Open Coterie  ·  19 members

SMF Staff People

Favorite Mods?

Huskerdust

What are some of your favorite mods to add to your SMF sites? I know I always install Simpleportal, Bookmarks, and Sub-accounts for starters. (Although next time I make a site, I am dying to try @Arceus's character mod instead!) The three mods I named, I can't do without but I also like to add in a tagging mod for open threads and such and usually the simple colorizer to globally color the usernames. Then there's the mentions mod and the like posts mod. I feel like those make it feel much more generally "forum" like. They're not NEEDED exactly but I really like to have them. Since my members and I like to share YT vids a lot, there's always some form of video embedding. After that, other mods are just added on as needed, things like a spoiler mod or galleries or awards. I've taken to having a gallery because of the iffy image hosting issue out there. Awards mostly just reflect the kind of members I have. Honestly, they're not that necessary but I think most of my members feel special to have them. 

Reality is an illusion. 

Since my SMF site is so new that it is still being developed, I plan on trolling this topic for good mods.

I have taken a leap of faith and am running 2.1 Beta 3 so a number of the mods are now built-in features: post likes, mentions, etc. So, to date, my must-have mods are....

• Character Management System 2.0 by @Arceus (let me tell you, it is amazing!)
  • Gallery: Although our lore graphics will be housed on our Wordpress, I like offering character galleries and a place for on-site graphics.
  • A portal or other content management system: I want SimplePortal, but right now we are using TinyPortal because SimplePortal has not been updated for 2.1 yet. This is mainly for our affiliate list so can hopefully change it out later.
  • I would like a good mod that auto-fills the opening post - one that you can specify which forums to use it on or have a different template per forum. I want to make the opening post our "synopsis" for that thread (i.e. where, when, brief overview, characters involved, that sort of thing). Even better would be the ability to set up a form-type thing that you fill out when you start a topic, then it adds that info at the beginning of each post (the Who, What, When, Where type info).
I am sure I'll find more mods as they are updated and added for 2.1
  • Like 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

arc's made my sites several custom mods, so i dont feel like im a fair individual to post here buuuuut.

(dude, dude. dude. dude. run the char manager conversion tool and move over from subaccounts. long as everythings set up right, and arc put in a pre-conversion checklist to make it easy, u will not be disappointed. at all. holy shit. even acm1 is hotter'n subaccounts [real-talk tho, wait for 2.0's acm2, if u not brave enough to upgrade to 2.1, its hella worth the wait].)

• bbcode with style; i use this a lot because i like using div and span. basically.
  • custom bbcode; screw the individual bbcode tag mods just add em all with this. i cant live without user and topic bbcodes. i cant do it. it pissed me off. lul
  • order custom profile fields; because the default ordering makes no sense after a point.
  • arceus' battle suite 4; this is designed for tabletop style game-y systems. it is the shit. everything in it is automatic, no math for anything but hp and that u can make the system do for you, too, by jst inputting the right numbers. the only reason i ever still use subaccounts is for abs. listen, this spoiled me so bad i cannot do fight threads free-hand anymore. i dont like doing it. it freaks me out.
  • mature content mod; this is a custom mod arc does, that will hide mature-marked threads from guests and users that dont have a valid birthdate that makes them 18+ in their profile. much smoother, tbh, the kiddos dont even know theyre missing anything and thus arent quite as tempted to lie about their age to see what they're missing.
  • topic descriptions; arc also does this one for us because the standard one for 2.0 sucks cashews and breaks in weird ways. we're on 2.1 now and arc's char manager v2 comes with the topic description mod by default, so thats nice.
  • ic dates; another custom arc mod. also comes with acm2 now.
  • avatars on board/message index; arc ALSO does this one bc there's one that exists for 2.0 but it sucks. this is a built-in function of 2.1, but apparently whoever wrote it did it wrong bc it doesnt work on fresh install, so arc has to get in there and make it work

i hear arc's combining abs and acm together into a giant mod called the rpg suite and i cannot wait i cant wait i want it-nownownownow-I WILL GIVE YOU MY FIRSTBORN @ArceusI WILL!!

• Fuck Yeah! 1

that which does not kill me, had better run; because now im pissed.

You can find me on Simprovise

Omg, Idk whether to feel loved or what. I keep getting tagged in here. Rofl. Listen, five years ago didn't nobody even know I did SMF shit. xD

For an actual contribution:

I have this cluster of mods that gets copy-pasted from one site to another if I'm running 2.0. (Most of which are on @dragonborn's list, barring SimplePortal; I miss you SimplePortal. Come back to us.) I actually also managed to make the SP shoutbox guest-friendly AND load user avatars in shouts, so that's fancy. Uhh. Beyond that though, really depends on what I want. I also do um, want ad and quote generators for the top of the site a lot. Oh, group tally mods, and um, automatic staff lists. Lesseeee... in-character thread time-lines! Which will eventually be a function of the Character Manager, but I'm nnnnnooot sure when or precisely how best to do it just yet. Lol still doable manually, though. I also did mods to the Bookmarks mod @Zozma mentioned to make it capable of taking notes for each bookmark entry (which eventually became the Character Manager's thread tracker). Ummmmmmmumum, I also started hacking at the SMF Shop mod and making my own items.

Yeah. I've reached the point where if I want it, I get it.

Aside from the RPG Suite dragonborn mentioned, I'm also working on figuring out how to change the default link structure in SMF. So you'd have like:

• index.php?action=admin => /admin
  • index.php?action=profile;u=1 => /profile/username
  • index.php?topic=2 => /topic/thread-title-here
  • index.php?board=2 => /board/board-title-here

I know it's doable with Apache's mod_rewrite, I just have to figure out how to make it work with SMF's wonky URL structure.

• Love 3

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

@Arceus @dragonborn @Zozma

I think I just wanna hire one of you or all three of you to hit my SMF board and add all the mods you think I need to have! LOL.

😉

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

1 hour ago, dragonborn said:

arc's made my sites several custom mods, so i dont feel like im a fair individual to post here buuuuut.

(dude, dude. dude. dude. run the char manager conversion tool and move over from subaccounts. long as everythings set up right, and arc put in a pre-conversion checklist to make it easy, u will not be disappointed. at all. holy shit. even acm1 is hotter'n subaccounts [real-talk tho, wait for 2.0's acm2, if u not brave enough to upgrade to 2.1, its hella worth the wait].)

Wait, so I can use it now? How do I convert it? @Arceus? I'm still on 2.0 atm. Willing to pay for help though! Always! 

EDIT: Ah, I should wait for acm2. All right, will do!

Edited by Zozma

Reality is an illusion. 

@Zozma, there is a SubAccounts conversion tool in the ACP for it (admin;area=whateveritisonversion1;sa=convert). When run, it pulls all SubAccounts, creates character entries for them, reattributes their posts to their new character-system ID, attempts to match membergroups to alliances to pull alliance IDs and auto-sort them, then tries matching custom field information to biography field information and copies custom field data to bio fields for the new characters; then it'll delete all the SubAccount data and leave just the characters. So, yes, you can convert SubAccounts into characters easy as shit (it converted both of dragon's boards over flawlessly).

You can also upgrade to 2.1 Beta 3, if you were feeling brave, pretty much just as seamlessly; run the SA => CM1 converter, upgrade to 2.1, and then run the ACM1 => ACM2 upgrader, poof, done, nothing missing (also did both of dragon's boards flawlessly). I can do all of it for you, even if you want to wait for ACM2's 2.0 installer, but your host would not like me, because I'd need unabridged backend access. => But that's a convo for another place. Lol

• Thank you 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)