What's a character you haven't gotten to use in a while?

Deep Sea

Based on a conversation in the Discord server this morning (and y'all should totes join the server if you haven't already), I want to know - tell us about an original or fan character you're proud of, but haven't gotten a chance to use in a while! Maybe you just haven't RPed in that genre in a while, or maybe you're in the middle of a redesign, or maybe they just require a slightly more specific setting and you're not wanting to DM right now, it's doesn't matter!

Questions to start with

• What do you especially like about this character?
  • What kind of setting were they designed for?
  • What was the last campaign/thread you used them in?
  • If you revisited this character, what might you change about them?

(You can also brag about alternate universe versions of canon characters, if you want!)

I'll start - I made a character for a fantasy RP on Gaia whose plot escapes me... but the gist is that our characters were humans chosen by gods and goddesses to represent them in sort of quest. We made up our own deities that got added to the world's lore. My champion's name was Owen, and his big gimmick was that he was chosen by a very minor goddess: The Forge, the servant of the God of Smithing.  The Forge was very bitter about being forgotten all the time, and made it her mission to curse smiths everywhere until they started respecting their tools more. Owen was more concerned about the fact that he not has a magical miniature forge for a chest cavity. His adventuring partners appreciated having a walking campstove. Owen did not appreciate their appreciation.

I'm hoping one day I'll find another fantasy thread I can use them in. Barring that, I might start a fantasy RP where all sorts of minor gods go on strike.

• Like 4

Glub glub.

Gosh, my very first character was one I used for EVERYTHING.  Forgive the old art lol.

What do you especially like about this character?

She was designed with traits I adore. Long, blue hair... heterochromia... magic. I really don't know why I don't use her anymore, perhaps it's because I was afraid of "ruining" her character.

What kind of setting were they designed for?

Truthfully, she started as a Touhou OC. That's right, laugh it up. Her more recent (as of 2010/11) depictions are for modern-fantasy. 

What was the last campaign/thread you used them in?

I used her in an Exalted game, circa 2013. She died, though. 😞

If you revisited this character, what might you change about them?

I might actually age her down. She's a person who's interested in dark/forbidden magic, but I want to explore her discovering the concepts and learning about the consequences first-hand.

Lunah.png

• Like 1

Not a particular character, per se. But, I haven't played a proper villain in ages and I used to love playing them. 

• Like 1

New_Project_1.jpg

I could write such a list.

first things first, I don't change my characters before playing them ever. Where they stop in one story is where I start them in the next if I can find a good fit site for them.

say_that_again__by_kazetatsu-d78q2g6.png
There's Brush, one of my many dragons, she started on a drawn rp called the way of the dragons as one of the main characters in a 'clan' The vibe was similar to warrior cats groups in a few ways. She's a passionate peacekeeper to a fault, and will often 'pick fights' to side with the guy that's knocked down without knowing the whole story, as well as an explorer, and knowledge seeker. The last threads I threw her into were a few tries to re-found her 'clan' on my current site, and a few exploring attempts. These fell short and I haven't thrown her into any threads there since, feeling as though she doesn't fit for the story and whims many of the players there have leaned towards. I absolutely miss playing her but many sites are too strict on what makes a dragon for me to fit her within.

new_shiren_by_kazetatsu-d8zfimf.gif
Shiren too has been hard to find a place for. She is a custom species from warriors/animal rpg which I added mutations to. She's difficult to work with, nonverbal in the sense that she doesn't speak, only makes sounds and ghibberish, tends to misunderstand things, and has a slew of issues but I love her to death for all of them. I've tried and tried to find a setting where she will fit, but most characters I run into either hug her till she bites them, or don't have the patience to train her out of her antics. She desperately needs a stable home. last I played her, she was lost on a farm, attacking a herds' ankles as the animals ran around panicking.

focus_by_kazetatsu-d8u3eds.png
There is shika who sometimes I call a dragon, but is better classified as a yokai. She's idealistic, a bit bossy, but longs for kinship with others. She came from the same site as Shiren, but belonged to a different group. Her last rp was 'escaping' from a scientific containment facility accompanied by a cat.

hess_hassa_by_kazetatsu-d6czlyt.png

Last for now is Set'th. He came from an island-castaways rp where every person there ended up with the traits from 1-3 animals. He was a native there, being born from previous islanders and raised pretty wild. When that rp died, I tried to play him as a city 'street-rat' for a time before phasing him out entirely. I recently tried to bring him back on my site, but without a stable string of threads he might be phased out again.

Edited by Kazetatsu

6b0eb9fa-b7e8-424f-bdf5-60a189e3f877-ori

Timothy Henry "Tim" Christian

Q.:  What do I especially like about this character?

A.:  Christian is a nine-year-old werewolf.  He shifts into a bipedal hound, yet keeps his human sanity.

Q.:  What kind of setting is this character designed for?

A.:  Traditional horror in the 19th century Bible Belt.

Q.:  What is the last thread I've used this character in?

A.:  Christian gets discovered by a pack that's made.  He himself is borned, though he doesn't understand.

Q.:  If I revisit this character, might what I change about him?

A.:  Nothing, really.  I am quite happy with the boy as is.

Edited by Jacob

She's probably seen by others as a villain, but she sees herself as an inquisitor.  She only wants questions to be answered. Very philosophical and obsessed with knowledge. I really enjoy those morally grey areas. What’s right and what’s wrong for one, might not be the same for another.

She originally came to be from an mmo rp. She was a NPC that grew sentience and craved answers as to why she was created and what were the differences between her and the players. Weren’t they all technically just data?

Sadly the site closed before I could use her in any thread.

Maybe her personality and how she approached things. Still not sure if to make her more lively or less. She could also simply act out what she sees others do, unaware of what proper behavior could be. Since I haven’t used her yet, it’s all in the air. Maybe someday I’ll find a home for her.

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

Augustus "Gus" Kane with PB of Evan Peters.

He's a study in having a rich inner live but a very placid surface.  To others he seems flat and emotionless and it disguises the turmoil he's in as he is slowly being driven mad by his own vices. Gus is convinced he is possessed by the ghosts of his victims (he is a vampire who eats other vampires) and thus a lot of his posts involve internal monologue between himself and these perceived other people in his head.  So its a bit like writing several characters at once.

He was originally designed as the foil to another character and as part of a campaign by an overarching villain. However, I found he does best when he has someone or a group of someones who act as his handler. He fell in with a pack of werehyenas a few years back and I found he really thrived in a pack-like setting.

I tried bringing him into this "witch in the woods" thread. Gus had been hiding out in the woods because he doesn't do crowds very well without someone to hold his hand. It sort of died because the other player stopped showing interest in it.

I might tinker a bit with the back story, make the character a bit younger to match the almost child-like way he seems to view the world.  I would also probably limit the amount of ghosts in his head mostly because its very time consuming to write 5+ people in post.

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

The Character: Jericho Cain, a technomage. The site was a slightly A/U version of Babylon 5. We put our characters on a troubleshooting ship for the Alliance. It was stationed at Babylon 5.

What do I especially like about this character?

• Jericho was a big man, last man anyone would think of as a technomage. He was basically a good man, but like all technomages, he had a powerful dark side.

What kind of setting is this character designed for?

• As stated, Babylon 5 was his original setting. Later, I successfully adapted him to a Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D. RPG.

What is the last thread I've used this character in?

• It has been many long years, but it was the final scene before we closed the S.H.I.E.L.D. RPG.

If I revisit this character, might what I change about him?

• I discovered when I tried to change him that it did not work. He needs all aspects of the technomage enhancements so that he has something to fight against, to make him be better than what he wants to be.
  • Like 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Unique take on an underplayed race. Also has a dependency on other players (which at least lets me be dragged along for a change) and does not need me to play the shifter-animal race (I did not like them that much) I'd also get to play a PC with "history" (maybe) so there was that possibility.

High Fantasy. Ghosts were a playable race. No one actually plays them and interest quickly dies out in any attempt because they only ever have 3 racial skills (without assistance of PCs or NPCs with a specific skill) I had the bright idea to make my ghost in the form of a cursed sword (using the ghost skill to interact with items and possess people) Could have gone with a haunted house but I wanted to have some mobility if necessary and I took the most expensive weapon since ghosts have no need for starting wealth. Idea was sound lorewise and I took a week to plan it. Even had other players lined up to play with him current time and in the past so I bypassed the hassle of finding reliable thread partners.

Last thread was also one of the first threads other than the memory thread with another player. Someone made an open thread with a street fight, her own PC in the roofs watching from far away. Another player joined but only watched because there was nothing to do. With nothing to do, I decided to just beat up on the NPCs some since ghosts cannot be hurt without a specific skill. Thread starter wigged out in chat the next day because it did not go according to her plan (she placed her PC so far away, I still don't know what her plan was) I was not around when she did but I know everyone else started adding their own takes in the regular newbie bashing (most people did not know it was my alt) Site owner finally stepped in and banned the PC because of (as she believed) the need for special permissions (everything actually used the ghost skills as written) and because the PC starts with a magic weapon which is a no-no (the only magic is whatever tricks my ghost pulls with the weapon) Sadly my ghost was killed off by rumourmongering and ignorance while thread starter which caused the scene ditched out from the site not long after...

• If you revisited this character, what might you change about them?

Swords are lame and were troublesome to work within the weight limit of the ghost skill in that site anyway. Probably should have gone with a bow or crossbows or something. Homing projectiles are wayyyyyy cooler and makes friendly fire from the "curse" even more amusing. Can even stop other projectiles if I want to, heh. The big problem was also in motivations (this ghost was still kicking at hundreds of years after death) and angst was probably going to be something which would lose steam pretty fast.

I'm a Sailor Moon rper and the character I love the most but haven't gotten to play a lot is Beryl. She's my babe - the traditional villain but underrated feminist fighter. LOVE HER. There just hasn't really been a site I could play her authentically on in years.

That she's the traditional villain. But she has all this unexplored feminist power to her. It's established that she loved the prince and went to the dark side to make him is, failed, and tried again after everybody's rebirth. But there's so much patriotism to her and her fight against the Moon Kingdom, how did she get the prince's cabinet over to her side, how did she essentially fuel a revolution. I think everyone focuses on Sailor Moon and her tragic death and nobody falls for Beryl's tragic downfall and fight for her country. She's reminiscent of Geillis Duncan from Outlander for me.

I'm just attracted to her intrigue. The political ramifications of her influence. I want to write her in an rp so bad.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Actually, there are several characters I miss writing. Two of them belong to sites now closed, but I might bring them to another site some day, if they fit. Others belong to the site I am managing, just that they aren't much needed in the story currently, and therefore I have written them little in the past year.

I am not going to change anything about them, except adapting the two mentioned to a new site, when the time will come (ie details in the history, to align to a new timeline).

I think I am going to speak about the two who don't have a home yet, because for the others, stories and characters take rounds and highlights, and they will be needed again, sooner or later. If not too much in the site's story, then in the novel series I am writing next year, which will be focused also on the West Indies in early 1700s, but it will have a different story line than the site's, since it will have only my characters (and some of them in different positions).

Both Sigurd and Allan are underdogs, rough on the exterior but kind, fearless in battle but interested in negotiations, trade, peace.

Initially, Sigurd was designed for a Viking site and Allan for a Western one. They got through several settings, though - urban fantasy/ Sci Fi, urban fantasy/ supernatural, dragon-centered fantasy, present day, arranged marriage site, etc.

I think Sigurd was last a policeman on a present day arranged marriage site, and Allan was the native of an island in a dragon-centered fantasy.

• Like 1