Period Films & TV Shows You've Watched or Are Watching?

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Figured this would be an interesting topic. Also a way to share shows and films amongst us, and even learn about ones we didn't know before.

Last week, in one day, I binged my way through Picnic At Hanging Rock(Amazon Prime Original) and North & South(currently on US Netflix); these are limited series, being 6 episodes and 4 episodes respectively. The first one was really fascinating with many undertones, was really interesting story overall, had a nice range of characters, and had a great cast. The second one had a great cast, interesting story backdrop even if the main focus was more on the 2 main characters, a lot of character growth, and hit me in all the feelings. Even though Picnic At Hanging Rock still left me feeling a little frustrated at the end, I still recommend both.

Now I'm trying to decide what to watch next.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom is also a huge fan of Dickens and Austen shows, miniseries, and movies. So I've seen... probably everything BBC made in the early 2000s, and then a smattering of other ones. The 2005 Pride and Prejudice is absolutely my favourite. Oh, that and I've seen a show called Lark Rise to Candleford. Funnier than I expected, though I wouldn't say it's the best out there. 

A few years ago I got really interested in the Old West time period - Gray Owl, Into the West, Dances With Wolves, stuff like that. Not so much now, but I can always be lured into the medieval era or pirates. Robin Hood is a special favourite of mine. Right now I'm rewatching Black Sails, which is technically a prequel to the book Treasure Island. But in my opinion it works just as well as a standalone. 

ETA: I've also seen a lot of the Sherlock movies released in the actual time period, as opposed to the modern AU from BBC with Babadook Cowabunga. 

Edited by kita

2 hours ago, kita said:

Right now I'm rewatching Black Sails, which is technically a prequel to the book Treasure Island. But in my opinion it works just as well as a standalone. 

Black Sails is the show that owns my heart.

I want to watch Picnic at Hanging Rock, and still want to watch The Terror. Deadwood's dialogue laboured under the weight of it's forced swearing so I bounced off of that. (It's why I don't like HBO. Too enamored by how ~gritty~ and ~realistic~ it is.)

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I just started watching Turn and my muse is going crazy!

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png

HBO Rome will always have a place in my heart. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

@LOVE ME AND DESPAIR - which North and South do you love, because there are 2 and both of them short series? The one happening in England or the one happening in the US Civil War? I love more the US Civil War one.

@kita,I love Into the West and Dancing with Wolves too!

There have always been historical movies and series I have watched and I loved. I don't watch any in present time, though. I loved Onedin Line, Poldark (the old BBC one), Dr. Quinn, Snowy Mountain, all the possible Westerns, Corazon Salvaje, The Pallisers, etc

14 hours ago, Elena said:

@LOVE ME AND DESPAIR - which North and South do you love, because there are 2 and both of them short series? The one happening in England or the one happening in the US Civil War? I love more the US Civil War one.

I've never seen the one about the U.S. Civil War. That one says it has 3 seasons. The one I mean though takes place in England and is a 4-part mini-series.

I know that one you are talking about. It is by Elisabeth Gaskell, I think 🙂 . 

I just liked the other one more.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bekah

Has anyone watched ITV's Vanity Fair? I thought it was brilliant. If you haven't watched it yet, I really do recommend it.

The Tudors is one that I can always go back to and re-watch again and again. Along with anything Jane Austen related.

• 2 weeks later...

I started watching The Terror last night, it's good! I did find myself getting confused as to who is who though. All those penguin men. It does menacing very well.

Edited by Kit the Human

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png