Help! Character Bio Forms / Application

StormWolfe

I may be putting this topic in the wrong place. If so, am sure Morrigan will tell me to move it.

Here's a little background: In the past, as a Game Manager/Admin, I have had nightmare players slip through the chinks in my character applications/bios. By that, I mean suddenly adding all kinds of things not accounted for in the bio (powers, skills, abilities, etc). When taken to task over it and told to rewrite, there is an all-out fight because the bio/app did not ask for that information. As a result, I have gone the paranoid Admin route and tried to cover everything in my bio forms.

I am upgrading my three RPG sites and want to revamp my character applications/bios to be as minimalist as possible without shorting the information needed and without leaving us open to truly major issues. Each site is different: American Wild West (1870s), Modern Cinematic Real Life Action Adventure/Mystery, Swords and Sorcery Fantasy (I know I will have to keep some info on magical powers in the bios).

• Please provide suggestions and feedback. I really need help! I know my current bios are too long and involved and out-of-date. However, please, please, give me ideas, suggestions, and feedback without the I hate applications side of things. I know there are players that simply loathe doing apps. I am never going to eliminate them completely. I do sincerely want to make changes though.

Help me! Below is what I consider to be a bare minimum, but if I can shave more off it by maybe expanding character rules or something, hit me with it!

Here's my rough draft / revisable minimum list of information fields.

Basic Stats / Information

• Relationship Status
  • Appearance stats (height, hair, eyes because the playby might vary slightly from the character).
  • Short fields for job info, etc.
  • Skills, Abilities (fantasy / magic site)

Personality: Need most detail here.

Background: Relevant family, friends, foes; timeline of major life events.

Here is an example of what I have now for the action/adventure: Bio Template (it's similar to the western).

Thank you all!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Only thing I can see a player struggling with is the personality part. Often, I bash myself against the personality portion to come up with something and then  I've find the character (especially if its a newer one) taking a new bent as I write it than the "personality" I originally wrote up.

• Love 1

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

@Garmr  Fair enough! I should have added in my topic starter that we do allow bio updates within reason. We're a little harder core if it affects actual game story continuity but even that is negotiable on some things. In fact, we like for people to update their bios as things happen and characters evolve because we don't use plotters, shippers, and what-not.

• Love 1

RPG-Initiative

I feel that relationship status and personality are things that can be explored through roleplay. Personality in characters are ever changing through experience (imo). Unless you detrimentally need them for some reason you can do without those. Players can use plotters or other means to discuss those character points. 

And then stormie posts  about not using plotters lol whoops.

you can always place relationship status in mini profiles?

Edited by MAD
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

• Admin

Being a no app admin for ages bios will never (and have never) actually filtered out that sort of behavior (thus your bad experiences). This half strays into a Mary Sue conversation which I’m an advocate for Mary Sues aren’t made they're played. 

That being said. Rules are more important than bios. You’ve gotten into fights and instead of clarifying/enforcing a strict rule on “if it breaks the lore then it will be removed” sort of policy you actually buckled down in a way that would have deterred potential members instead of encouraging members. 

I agree. Personality should be a part of history because the two overlap a lot. But don’t worry about the potential fights. At the end of the day, regardless if it’s in the app or not, it’s your site. Enforce the lore like you enforce your rules. 

• Agree 3
  • Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

This time around, I actually left it up to the players to create their own Profile Apps based on what they felt was right for their character instead of the old-school templates I would normally provide (which, people STILL didn't follow but that's another story for another time). I presented the "create-your-own-bio" with a caveat: Staff may, at any time, ask for edits in regards to important information and lore-breaks. 

I think that as long as you maintain that you're going to ask for players to consider the "health" of the broader site and enforce what's good for the whole, you'd be in the clear. 

• Agree 2
  • Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

There is not a secret formula to applications that will ensure that you never deal with a game breaking characters - if someone wants to slip something past, they'll just whip it out after the application process. You will always need to monitor for something like that.

That said, you can make the skills/abilities only editable by staff after the application has been approved, thus forcing a little re-review should a player wish to introduce a new power. Of course, that only applies to players who want to do that aboveboard, nothing stopping them from trying to add a new ability without putting it on the bio.

Also: yes screw separating personality and history. Just fold it together in "About [Character]" with description: 'anything else that's important to your character, like their history, current circumstances and ambitions.'

• Agree 2
  • Love 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

As I'm thinking about it after-the-fact, TRADITIONALLY I've done: 
Appearance:

Name:

Aliases:
Personality:
History:
Abilities:
Attacks:
Anything else you deem important:

I personally /like/ to keep personality and history separate, because I feel like it gives players an option to learn somebody's temperament without reading a whole bunch of backstory spoilers (if they don't care to know)

• Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

An overarching rule I generally use is that "everything in the app has to be exhaustive." If we later notice that your character is doing something that was not listed, we send a wrist slap PM: "They can't do that. Your application is exhaustive." This is obviously more about skills/abilities than about someone not mentioning their character's favorite tree nut is cashews.

-- For appearance we say: "Please list any important physical features/characteristics of your character or differences from your playby" that way... no one is sitting around describing Richard Armitage's hair color, but likewise, there is a place to say: "So Richard has blue eyes, but my character has brown eyes!"

-- For personality... I'm often in the camp of just trying to help people make reasonable characters, rather than policing character quality. (People are so different from one another, it's hard to pretend that one personality is acceptable and another is not, in my experience.)  So I generally do 2+ positive traits, 2+ negative traits, 7+ total traits. While I have never specifically used these numbers, it is a great way to make sure people make a rounded character.

Backing what others have said, I think an "other important stuff" or "miscellaneous" is super helpful just so you've got a spot to mention any uncommon/nonstandard traits that a character has. It might feel silly, but there are a lot of characters who are square pegs for round holes, as they say.

• Love 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

On my site, it's pretty short and sweet. Apps don't always dissuade some of those flaky types or other types. I've seen the long, drawn out apps and sometimes those just kill me because some things just can't be learned until you feel a character out. I have found though that the app process we have is nice. 

Initial app is short and sweet, just the basics that need to be covered. There's a section for history but I'm not hardlined on it. Some people don't learn about characters until they flesh them out. Once approved, they are locked. If someone wants to make a change or add something all they have to do is ask. It's unlocked until they make their change. I check it. Then it's locked back up. Also short apps help me to be sure that everything that is needed is covered. If it breaks the lore, then I say something and ask for revise. 

Name - 
Race -
Age (Immortal beings, we need appearing age/actual age) - 
Face Claim - 
Hair -
Eyes - 
Weight - 
Height -
Distinguishing Marks - 
Profession - 
Possessions - 
Family/Friends/Enemies/Allies - 
Special Talents (Max of 4) - 
Skills -

For histories, there doesn’t have to be too much. Just enough to let us know where the character has been. Many times history comes out best through play. So put as little or as much as you feel comfortable with.
History - 

Special Notes -

This is the one I have for my site. For a medieval or serious magic site you might need a little more, but I try to keep things simple. You're welcome to use this if it helps.

• Love 1

spacer.pngDecadence

7 hours ago, MAD said:

I feel that relationship status and personality are things that can be explored through roleplay. Personality in characters are ever changing through experience (imo).

This is a problem we want to avoid exactly by writing the personality. Because otherwise, if not written and thought of at the beginning, you'll get a character over the place - once shy, once fearless, once prejudiced, once progressive - how it is most convenient for the thread in question, without any justification and growth.

@Stormwolfe, I love your bio and I think it makes up for a very thought-out, developed character! ❤️ I wouldn't change it.

For those who are struggling with bios, I'd recommend you to have a place for writing resources, next to the one with historical resources, and give them tips on character creation from the resource sites. It helps a lot!

Edited by Elena
  • Love 1

If you want detailed personality and background, may I recommend Ash's Guide to RPG Personalty and Background

I use this personally for most of my characters and keep the info stored somewhere.

I used it once for an rp and members complained that it was too much... So maybe you can offer it as an optional thing? I dunno. It's an awesome resource to have whether ya use it on the site or not. ;3 

• Like 2

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

Thank you all for your input!

9 hours ago, Elena said:

I love your bio and I think it makes up for a very thought-out, developed character! ❤️ I wouldn't change it.

@Elena I love you for this! Thank you!

I also love our detailed bios. However, I have gotten so many complaints, I know I need to make changes. My current membership will often hesitate to create additional characters so I'm sure new people have issues and are hesitant. Since I am having to make changes due to moving my two IPS sites to the Character Mod, now is a good time for an in-depth review of our applications. The two sites are cinematic reality - my term for the characters being a bit over-the-top and have adventures that would not normally happen in the real-real world.

Let me get one more opinion from you all! 

Personality Section: Do you think it is sufficient to allow just listing basic character traits and giving them a weight? Then, the players flesh them out in game?

Example: Please list basic character traits as a positive, negative, or both (some traits have both positive and negative aspects). Add brief description of how that trait will be portrayed in your character.

• Loyal (+/-): Character Name is very loyal..... Sometimes their loyalty blinds them to flaws in a relationship which has led them to not see betrayal even when it is obvious to others.
  • Angry (-): Character Name is an angry person. They could use some anger management counseling!
  • Strong-Willed (+): Their strength of  will and determination has seen them through many adversities.
Then they can optionally add an example if they like. Again, this is just an example of my thoughts. Insights?

RPG-Initiative

33 minutes ago, Stormwolfe said:

Personality Section: Do you think it is sufficient to allow just listing basic character traits and giving them a weight? Then, the players flesh them out in game?

Example: Please list basic character traits as a positive, negative, or both (some traits have both positive and negative aspects). Add brief description of how that trait will be portrayed in your character.

• Loyal (+/-): Character Name is very loyal..... Sometimes their loyalty blinds them to flaws in a relationship which has led them to not see betrayal even when it is obvious to others.
  • Angry (-): Character Name is an angry person. They could use some anger management counseling!
  • Strong-Willed (+): Their strength of  will and determination has seen them through many adversities.
Then they can optionally add an example if they like. Again, this is just an example of my thoughts. Insights?

I would like this. It is simpler, but it still doesn't allow for unexpected 180 degrees changes from a thread to another 🙂

And I never understand those who complain about detailed bios. They give the opportunity to create a well-developed character, to think about various details of the character and flesh him out. When they will develop various aspects into threads, they will know how to write him consistently, without incoherences. I do detailed bios for my novel characters for 30+ years, long before I had any idea that creative writing recommended so or that RPGs with character bios exist 🙂

Edited by Elena
  • Love 1

OK, so here is what I am considering for the final incarnation. It will look longer here than it will be in reality because of all my how-to blurbs, notes, examples, etc.

Revised Bio Suggestion. Note: The word "relevant" is important in the bio. If the item is not relevant to in-game play, no need to expand on it in great detail. If it is relevant or the player feels it is relevant, they can add the information. Since we do not use plotters and shippers, we need a bit more umph in the bio. I do not want to start using plotters and shippers because I do not want us to have to keep updating yet more places on the forum. Update the bio occasionally as there are major changes and write!

To the Players: The length of the bio is not what will determine acceptance of the character. That will be based on the details provided, however brief or detailed those may be. If the Admin feels more detail is needed, you will be asked to add it. Please add information that you feel is relevant to the RPG and the character's interactions within our world. For example, any game-relevant gender or sexual orientation details should be included in Personality, Background, or both.

IDENTITY

Full Name

Goes By: The name the character uses most or is known by (actual nickname, middle instead of first name, etc.)

Aliases / Nicknames: Optional, game-relevant nicknames or actual aliases (slightly larger field)

Date of Birth:

Relationship Status: Dropdown (married, single, etc.)

APPEARANCE

The usual static, short appearance fields here (height, hair, eyes, etc.) with a free-form field for describing differences between the character's appearance and its playby (if any). For example, are their eyes a different color, etc.

PERSONALITY

Free form field: List character's core personality / character traits, add a description of each if details are relevant in-game. You may also add examples of how the trait has affected the character's life if you feel it is game-relevant. This section can be updated as you play the character if you find some of the traits listed do not work or new ones develop. Finally, since we do not use 'plotters or 'shippers, you might want to add the character's view on romance, finding a spouse/partner, their current spouse/partner, etc.

Example:

• Angry (-): Character Name needs anger management counseling.
  • Loyal (+/-): Character Name is very loyal to friends and loved ones. However, this loyalty can blind them to major character flaws and not seeing that he/she is being betrayed.
  • Intelligent (+)

Here would be any examples of the trait that a player wants to add. Totally optional.

SKILLS

• Profession(s): Write a brief overview of the character's in-game profession, current job, and any relevant past jobs and experience.
  • Skills / Abilities: List and/or describe any special skills or abilities. These are things over and above the basics needed for their profession. Include hobbies and interests that have enhanced skills (optional).

BACKGROUND

• Relationships: Free-form field for listing any relevant in-game relationships, family, friends, foes, etc. This field can be updated throughout game play.
  • Timeline: Using a when and where timeline format, list the major events in the character's life. If these events had a major impact on who the character is now in-game, please add a few details. You do not need to write a novel. However, please give us a good idea of who your character is based on the events in their life. 
    • Example:  April 18, 2015 (or April 2015, just 2015): Character Name graduated with Ph.D. in Volcanology from X University.
  • Love 2

RPG-Initiative