Discord Welcome messages

Bezyle

So, as I move towards improvements on the discord front... I had a central question/mindset... and its more of a curiosity than anything. 

How do you guys feel about servers that announce your arrival? As a new member do you find this discouraging when joining a new community? Why? Are you for or against discord servers that practice this?

I also have a lot of other discord questions and guides, so a part of me has considered making a coterie for it... but I would instead join one over making one myself. I have been super into improving servers so maybe this would be the place to do that?

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

I don't mind them at all and I can't honestly say that I really care either way. They're not gonna scare me off, they're not gonna make me feel more welcomed than no welcome message on its own. But I think that it kind of pulls existing members in, since there's a new message notification for the server and they're inclined to check out what the message is, which does create more welcomes. Plus I like that some people joining my servers will make a little joke about whatever message they get. 

• Agree 3

I like the welcome messages. I remember being over the moon when I discovered some bots could give custom welcome messages to people who join. I seriously love discord bots and could not own a server without one. They make life for an admin easier and life for members fun.

• Agree 2

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

I don't like them nor leaving messages, I like to have the ability to lurk or vanish without letting the whole group see, and to be able to look at the discord without raising the hopes of the community about how much I might participate. it would be far more comfortable or me to say hello on my own on my own time.

I like the announcement. It makes it easier for me to say hello to new people when they arrive in the chat.

• Agree 2

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

I don't particularly like them because I like to be able to watch things and get a feel before I dive in. Often, I never join discord servers, so if I join a new site that only has a discord for questions I might pop in for literally five minutes and then duck out again or "ghost" the discord and stay on the forum indefinitely...

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I prefer to be a bit anonymous when I drop in at first, although there was a server I ducked into once that had the most lovely welcoming message that I couldn't resist saying hello.

That said -- it does push for the entering member to begin participation possibly before they're ready, which some may find confronting. But also I like the random entry announcements that Discord does. 

I think I'm mildly confused.

• Preach it! 1

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

• Admin

I don't have strong feelings for it. For like the RPG Initiative server it's sorta mandatory thing for the updated posting rules so I don't get asked a billion times why someone can't post on the discord.

For RPs it's normally nice to be greeted. In general, don't care. With how many sites have like widgetbox and titan it gives people the ability to be in the server without the greet anyways (and a lot of RPs have that nowadays) so meh.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

When I join a server, I am not bothered whether they have a bot greeting or not. I find the native Discord greetings amusing. However, I do use Tatsumaki to greet people just so they know they are welcome because I cannot be online 24/7 to say hi and tell them to take their time settling in.

I cannot see a simple hello or welcome to our server as pushy. If someone just wants to lurk for awhile after joining, they can go invisible (Discord really needs this as a per server option). Our bot says hello and welcome, then I wait for the new person to make the next move. My entire expectations are that they will join in and stay or they'll lurk awhile and leave. If they never ever speak or join the site, eventually - usually a few months later - they get kicked.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I have to admit, I don't particularly like the idea of a bot announcing my presence to a chat like a herald to a ball.  A bot providing information though to someone who joins could be useful.  But yeah,  I do not like to be called out by people before I am ready to speak is going to be a bit off-putting for me.  I guess it depends on the follow up with a bot?  

Greetings  won't make me leave by any means, bot or member, and I could see how some of it could be useful, but I really prefer to do things at my own pace and I would just feel a bit more awkward and uncomfortable especially if I was just doing some browsing and made no decisions, or at least I would if a bot greeting then prompted a member greeting follow up.  Then I in turn will feel obligated to hi back instead of leaving people hanging, so then I get drawn into something awkward purely because I am awkward.  I understand it's just friendliness and people being enthusiastic, but most of the time when I am looking at a board, I do not engage until I have applied for a character.  I'm probably weird like that, but yeah I prefer to step in to chats on my own terms whether it be discord or a cbox or some other form of chat.  I just yeah manage to be socially awkward even on the internet so I prefer to avoid such situations.

royals_rebels.gif

I personally like & dislike them. Odd I guess?

There are times where I’m just there to lurk and get a feel for the community, so announcing my arrival is a bit terrifying because I certainly don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up. However the general discord *welcome* messages where it has cool little different things for each user landing, I don’t mind those because I can actually delete my own. It’s an option that I’m not sure many people know about. You can delete as if you created the message. So those I don’t mind but bots that do a whole welcome thing you can’t delete will make me frantic lol.

Then there are times where if I know I’m going to join the community and be apart of it I enjoy those welcome messages because usually most members when they see that will give you a warm personal welcome. I think it helps becoming a part of the community. People know you’re knew and try to include you by saying hello!

• Love 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

Just an FYI, here is the message we have set up on our bot. I was shooting for welcoming but not pressuring.

Welcome to $SERVER$, $MENTION$!! We are glad you joined our Discord. We would love to chat with you. However, lurkers are welcome also. Take all the time you need to decide whether or not to join the roleplay. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us!

I want people to know we're happy they joined our Discord, but not feel pressured to jump right in. 

• Love 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I'm kind of meh on welcome messages. Like I'm used to discord announcing my presence to the point where I don't mind them? But I find them to be pretty pointless most of the time - they aren't going to make or break my experience. Now if there was custom info in the message like the one on RPGIs discord, yeah that's useful (hey do this so you can post) sort of thing.

Storm I think that message is good? It would fall into my neutral 'meh' category, but it's at least not super pressuring either.

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

I have a welcome message setup on the discord for my RP. It helps me remember to welcome the person. It also tells the person the post a link to their profile in the appropriate channel so I can adjust their permissions. So, in theory, it is a help for the site administration.

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

I....never really noticed welcome messages or not. My attention span is not that adept -- aside from the Discord Default of a randomly generated phrase. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg