RPG Post Forms / Headers?

StormWolfe

And here I am, back with another question for all of you. Once again, this is a what would be your preference as a player. 😉 Seriously, you'd think I had not run RPGs for more than 30 years!

At my two IPS sites, I have a mod installed that allows me to create forms to fill out that then magically create a "scene/thread header" at the top of the very first post.

Filling out this when you start a new IC thread,

post-form.png

Creates this!

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 2.16.36 PM.png

Thinking as a Player, would you prefer to have this form or to have the first topic prefilled with an adjustable amount of information to fill out? For example, you would click on Start New Topic (we're IPS) and that topic would be prefilled with "header" information that you can alter easily.

I am considering making the topic starter posts at our site the "header", then we start the IC posts. In this manner, the opening post could contain images, etc. relevant to that scene.

Help me out please! I want us to consider making player informed choices as we consider revisions and updates to the site.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I like yours. My timestamp is bbcode made, 

[align=center][SIZE=4][b]Date:[/b] 20-th of September 1720, around noon

[b]Place:[/b] Basse Terre, Tortuga, in the inn [i]”Elixir d’Armagnac”[/i] [/SIZE] 

What we are using now is a template system mod that I've installed. It works great but is a tad bit of a pain to modify. What I am considering changing to would be literally a post that prefills itself. You fill in the blanks and it's ready to go.

RPG-Initiative

Ooooo that's really nice! And really informative. Love it.

I think having something easily modifiable would be best, since things can change mid-thread and you don't want changing the information stored there to be like pulling teeth. In my experience, players respond best to things that are easy! 

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I like it conceptually, though I feel like I'm having an issue imagining the purpose of all of location sections... is your forum not set up by location?

I feel like it would be convenient if you could set an "autofill" for your character? Like "this character is PG:13 99% of the time"?

Also... what does "timeline" do? Does it automatically add it to a character timeline?

Anyway! It seems cool to me~ (also is it editable? In case my character start to ... misbehave.... and suddenly a pg scene turns into an r scene?)

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

31 minutes ago, Thyme said:

I like it conceptually, though I feel like I'm having an issue imagining the purpose of all of location sections... is your forum not set up by location?

I feel like it would be convenient if you could set an "autofill" for your character? Like "this character is PG:13 99% of the time"?

Also... what does "timeline" do? Does it automatically add it to a character timeline?

Anyway! It seems cool to me~ (also is it editable? In case my character start to ... misbehave.... and suddenly a pg scene turns into an r scene?)

1. No, our IC writing is done on a per episode basis in one forum.

2. I am not sure if I can set an auto-fill per character. I will look into that.

3. Timeline is when the scene happens (TOD, Month, Year, all of that jazz). It appears in the topic listing so we all know 'when' everything is happening.

4.  The form is editable and changes the display in the first post.

RPG-Initiative

What mod is this???

Also, I prefer having the form. It's just a little easier when you're on your phone. (I'm assuming that bbcode is involved with the adjustable version.)

Not knowing anything about the mod, could you not allow some of the form entries to be blank, and thus not show once the topic has been created? That's as good as adjustable to me.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

There are three pre-defined topic fields or template mods that can be used. I have not tried this one, but it seems to do the same thing as the other one.

This is for IPS only!

Topic Template >> I have this one, but am not using it yet. I think both of these do essentially the same thing.

Pre-Defined Topic Fields >> I currently use this one to add text into a topic (like for the body of our Plot Requests topics).

Now for the biggie! This one is pricey, but my IPS sites cannot function without it! For someone that can code, they can probably achieve the same thing. That magic is beyond me so I bought this at the outset - when I had $$$$. 😉

Template System >> This lets you turn any forum's topics into a neat, easy-to-fill-out form. It is what I used to create our "scene header" form. The only issue I had with it was that the header info it created did not have a blank line between it and the body of the post. The creator of the mod gave me code that let me auto-insert a faint horizontal rule line to divide the header from the text.

So, between talking to you all and my members, the decision is to keep the forms as is and just add a field or two that's optional.

• Thank you 1

RPG-Initiative

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how well this would work on PHPBB (which is what my site uses) but I think the thing to consider is always  - functionality over ease.

What does it give the player? If it gives them (as it seems to) easy and clear access to info that's great functionality. Then, how easy is it? If it's easy to use and edit - then you're on a winner.

But I'd always, always, go for editable - and can everyone in the thread edit it? What if the thread starter disappears and the thread continues, but changes?

SigBann01.png.f26cc6143015c1ca5b2b89f492ba6f89.png