Open Coterie  ·  46 members

Site Design

How do you approach design?

Kit the Human

I'm pants at design. I can go at something with a certain theme in mind, and then just fumble around until I like what I've done, but I don't think that's really design. Design is a bit more deliberate than that.

What tips and tricks have you found helpful when it comes to design?

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I am the suck at design. 😅

I'm the sort that second guesses every decision from start to finish. My DMs are full of "This font with this font on this background, OR this one with that one with this?" It's the main reason I wanted to have a coterie for that sort of thing. Right now my basic process is to catch a glimmer of inspiration, trying to settle on some fonts, picking colors, then just fiddle around on Thimble with different elements until I can plug in a bunch of things that look good. 

Right now I'm taking an Udemy course on web development. And when I'm finished, I have wishlisted one on graphic design and one on UI/UX that I hope will help me with the actual development of aesthetically pleasing and useful designs.

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

For me I always start with inspiration from some sort of image or point in my life where I felt inspired. I want you to open a site and feel one way or another, the same as you would when I'm painting.

For example. I had this place I wrote about when I was younger, this cold yet magic mountain of a kingdom built by the sea. When designing a site for it I wanted you to open up that browser and feel the wind on your face, smell the fresh salty air, and just dive into the magic of it all.

I started with this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/249386898085584042/

(not the exact one I used for the thing below but close)

It is a basic color theme that someone has already added matching colors, or colors that go well with the certain mood I want to people to feel. From there I find those colors on photoshop and I made the header image.

RQkmFCI.gif

And from there I start plugging in the colors.

L7DpJBJ.png

I do this same thing when I start a painting, I mix my colors first that way I don't get crazy patches of wild reds somewhere without meaning to. So for me, having it visible in your mind is one thing that is very important, and just like art (because this is art) you have to have an emotion you are going for.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."