Naming Quirks

Morrigan

• Admin

So as I was going through my characters to add them to the character mod I noticed a rather interesting trend. I have a love for character names that start with M and J as well as having female names that can be used as male names like "Josephine" which goes by Joe. Or "Charlotte" that goes by Chuck. I also just renamed an old character to Henrietta to call her Henry.

Do you have any weird ways you like to name your characters? Any trends you notice after looking at your character list?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of "a" at the end of mine.

Astalia, Miria, Luna, Nadia... even the world and all of the countries have an "a" at the end, which was unintentional!

34 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

I have a love for character names that start with M and J as well as having female names that can be used as male names.

Ok, I'm exactly the same... M and J names. I like to give my girls names that their nickname could be for either to confuse strangers when they talk about them but the character isn't there to confirm their gender lol. Frances = Franky, or Samantha= Sam, Jaqueline= Jacky. Once I had noticed that trend with the M and J I tried to vary with my names a bit more... N is not so far from M though. Derp.

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

I have a fair balance of names when it comes to the letter they start with. That is because I consciously went out of my way to stop using so many E and R names though. Lol. I'm also a fan of "girl names" that can be shortened to gender neutral or traditionally masculine nicknames. In RL my daughters go by Lou and Lee. "Girl names" on boys, or softer/feminine sounding names also please me. I've used Courtney and Valerie in the past, right now I have an Isidore, Briar and a Kiran.

Words for names are my bread and butter though! Absolute fave. Especially if the word is also the name a bird species apparently. I have Rhode, Remember/Remy, Wren, Kite, Peregrine, a redheaded boy with the last name Foxx, a wolf named Atlas, and a playwright/surfer dude named Maverick. I also have Éphémère and Vrai which are the French words for ephemeral and true in that order. 

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

I like names that end with "a" (Emma, Mia, Mena) or "ah" (Norah, Hannah etc.), however I also have had quite a few characters that end with "e" (Catherine, Therese, Sophie). 

I seem to like the first letter "M" quite a bit although I'm not too stuck on any one letter aside from that.

I have noticed that more of my characters (when it makes sense) have names that are inspired by/can be traced back to Norway which I think is due to the fact that when I was younger I went out of my way to not use character names that looked Norwegian or non-English because I really didn't want anyone to think less of me because English wasn't my first language (I'm not claiming this makes sense, just that it's how I thought). So I've noticed that if it's possible without stretching the limits of reality (for instance on HP boards that have RP locations outside the UK or where people moving about makes sense) I typically have one character that's more Norwegian than the rest. But it's not like I have a 100% Norwegian crew, just one (or two depending on many I have) that have some lineage in them. 

I seem to have a thing for A names and S names, both as first and last names. (Adam Smith, Angelo Abascal, Samuel Scarus, etc).  I'm not entirely sure why that is. I obviously also have a thing for alliteration. 

But, more importantly, PUNS. Every single one of my characters have slightly punny names. Adam Smith is a government agent, so he's Agent Smith. Samuel Scarus is a merman based off of parrotfish (scarus quoyi). I have a knight named Lance, a druid named Elwood,  and it only gets more convoluted from there. But I deliberately chose each and every one of my characters' names this way, and if they aren't jokes, then the name doesn't feel right. 

for me it's the letter 'S' or 'Sh' Shagul Sem, Sheut, Set'th Shemhazai, Shiren, Shin, Shadow, Shatter, Sevaan, Shianna, Shika.... Yeah, I pick named by 'best sound fit' and too often the name I chose us 'hissy' Also a lot of my names are absolutely made up with any similarity to an actual name being coincidence. the first four in my 'S' list are that way as is Accolypse, Finehel, Aihagwe, Vesstali, Yakhir, Mohanchor, and others.

• 4 months later...

I like things that are easy to say and can have a shortened version! For example, I'd name a character Lexus, because she/he can easily be called Lex. I wouldn't much care for one named Astoria, because...I ain't calling her 'Ass'.

When I first started writing, I  tended to have a lot of female characters that ended with an a. Having the a at the end seemed to make them sound more feminine. When I had a bunch of aliens (they were for Star Wars, and the aliens in question were Shistavanens or wolfmen), I had this habit of trying to get q in there somewhere because it was exotic sounding, so we had Raqak and Ryqik.

Now, most of my characters have names from the Poetic Edda but I try to use ones which aren't as obvious (there's no Thor, Freya or Loki...) It largely depends on what I'm writing for, really.

I like girl names for guys (which I guess goes against the trend of dude names for girls). I also have a fondness for names that end with an EE sound, like Ivy or Brady or Kingsley. My favorite letters are E, I, R, S, V, Y, and Z so it stands to reason that names with those combos of letters are my faves. (Severin, Silas, Yves, Ivy, Susu, Ronan, Silence, Raieth are some of my faves and that I've used multiple times.) 

Reality is an illusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I consciously try not to reuse the same first letter too often (though out of seven characters, I do have two "Th's").  My name glitch is, I almost always end up with a short, single syllable first name and long surname.  

Masculine sounding nicknames for feminine characters is always fun, too.  I've got Persephone, who goes by Seth.

I often end up giving a traditionally ambiguous or last name as a first name.

I sometimes grab the bibliography from random peer-reviewed article and make a list of the names I find catchy. I pick from this list when I need to, so I'd have a few characters just reminding me of X or Y text

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

A few times, I had a customer on the phone with a really cool last name.

I absolutely steal those for a character.

Though, I've got a lot of names that start with A, and a lot that start with S. ... actually, quite the number with C or K. Starting to get a lot of E. Yeah.

I actually name based on tonal impression. (Provided they don't already HAVE a name... and tell me that name...) Like, Suyis has never changed his name because the name is pronounced (soo-yiss) in a manner that sounds kind of like a snake hissing. And boy if he ain't a snake. After getting to know a character really well, they tend to have particular sound associations (harsh consonants, hissing noises, attachments to a certain sound, etc etc), and these tend to stick with them throughout their entire existence. So when they do get renamed, the new name probably sounds very similar to the former.

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I tend to prefer not using super long names because if typing the character's name right takes longer than the story, I'll get bored. 

I’m a sucker for gender neutral names, single syllable names (especially surnames), and names that sound snappy. . . Which means I have to try really hard to avoid making my characters sound like I’ve torn them out of a comic book. Granted I have to work with cultural naming conventions quite a bit, so that shakes things up. 

My current roster is:

-Elise Winther (now Elise Blackwood because ~Marriage)

-Bear Santoro

-Sola Bron

-Cassidy “Cass” Creed

Some others that feel Typical:

Linh May

Charlie Wen

Gale Malone

Owen Pierce

Lyla Blair

Tallulah Tyler

Lance Westley

Sláine Sloane