Naming Quirks

Morrigan

For human OCs, my last names tend to be Celtic in origin -- lots of Mcs/Macs and O's, or names like Byrne and Murphy.  Usually I end up with at least one character named Cassidy.

Dog names usually come from literature or mythology: Tybalt, Casimira (the Countess of Cold Hands), Sister Grimm, Kelpie. I'm also a sucker for meaningful name changes. Casimira used to be Dinah and one of 13 children of Jacob, and Sister Grimm used to be Gretel; her brother Hansel then became Brother Hans.

And then I'm about to pick up my third canon named Kate across two connected sites.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 4 ways to generate character names: first involves mouthing out syllables and seeing if they sound good together. The next is to use names already established. The 3rd is to use words translated into different languages. And the 4th, which is a 'last resort' method, is to use name generators.

"Let's think positive!" - Maya Amano, Persona 2: Innocent Sin

I am a sticker for sticking to themes with names.

If my character is going to be Irish I will look through hundreds of different Irish base names until I find the right one. I do this for all my characters I will look for names that fit their backgrounds and race.

I like using generators and shifting through all the options they give me until I find something that fits. I also like saying the name out loud to see how it rolls off the tongue and if it sounds good when spoken. I don't know why that matters since all of it is done through text, but for me it has to sound good when spoken out loud lol

Its a complicated thing.

My quirk: I will leave a character unnamed while writing until they give it to me. I've found trying to force one, it always ends up changing later.

No clue what to put here yet

• 1 month later...

I have an absolute love for S names. So many of my characters have names beginning with S, also A and C.  I like unusual names, and gender-neutral names, and names that have a meaning. I quite often look up what a name means and then will match it with a surname that also has something to do with my character, so they'll end up with names that mean things like 'fiery warrior' etc. 

"To survive, you must tell stories" - Umberto Eco

• 2 months later...

Nameberry is my fav place. I like to look up different names there and different spellings. I like unconventional names or names that used to be traditional but are never used anymore.