Using integrations with your Discord server

Deep Sea

A lot of us have Discord servers to go with our roleplay sites - in fact, a lot of roleplayers play on Discord. With that in mind, how do you use integrations with your Discord server? Integrations with your site? I know the Initiative has a bot that notifies us of new posts, so that's one example.

• Like 1

Glub glub.

You mean, like bots and widgets? 

I used to use titan embeds because of how much it lets you edit the look with CSS. Sadly it was down way too much for me to keep using it. Luckily I found widget bot and so far it's been great. It's only been down once in all my time using it and it wasn't for long since they had a fix for it rather quickly. Since the team for this one seems to be on it I'd definitely be willing to pay to fully edit the CSS. 

I also like it because anyone can come in and talk, no need for a discord account. The bot turns the user into a guest and communication is there. I know a lot of people don't like logging in or joining discord or servers without feeling the waters first.  

Since we use dice for certain things on the site we also have the roleplayer bot. A nice lightweight bot that serves as our dice master. 

Recently I saw that discord was having some login issues. Since it was down for a bit I decided to use jcink's shoutbox on the site, just in case the servers or widget are ever down again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

I use integrations with my discord server and my forum. I have a feed for house points so every time house points are manually awarded a link is sent to the feed with some information. Anytime staff post announcements a link is also posted in the discord channel. I also use a bot that posts when someone has posted a question on the forum, and alerts the staff in our channel. I set them up all up using IFTT RSS feeds and discord webhooks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Great Idea 1

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

That's awesome! What forum software are you using? I haven't had personal luck with IFTTT applets, and I'm still trying to track down where I've gone wrong.

• Agree 1

Glub glub.

I'm using IPS, and I did it following @Morrigan's guide. 😄

― Michelle McNamara

Sooooo.... what's an RSS feed and how do I create one in IPS?

• Like 1

Glub glub.

• Admin

RSS means Rich Site Summary and you create them here:

image.png

Note that your setup may look different then mine. They are also just like creating a stream.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Ah, I see. After I create the RSS feed in the admin panel, how do I grab its URL?

Glub glub.

• Admin

Lower right corner, little orange icon. Click it and choose the RSS feed. When you go to that url just copy it.

• Like 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Okay! I gave it a shot, I'll test it again. IFTTT did not work, but Zapier did. I think I must be doing something wrong, Zapier tends to work more reliably than IFTTT for me.

Glub glub.

I will have to look into Zapier because I could not get IFTTT to work either! I'd love to get a good option for my second IPS site. I use the old Discord Integration from the Invision Marketplace on one IPS site. Since I got rid of account linking, it is working great although I have not yet turned on the role integration part. I'm afraid too!

Also, I'd dearly love to get the Discord Login handler working on my IPS sites.

@Arceus set up a WidgetBot on my new SMF site and I do love that it allows guest to chat with us. It's a crate so it's not right there in your face. I'll have to put a note about it when we finally open there.

I use Tatsumaki - bot not an integration.

My main and only integration right now is the pricey / now-unsupported / might-be-updated Discord Integration from the Marketplace at Invision. Once set up, it adds an easy interface in each forum for sending posts to our Discord server. I wish it would do new characters. However, everyone loves seeing new posts pop into our #tags channel.

Neat topic. I learn so much in these.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

A lot of times the errors are caused by the body section inside of the applet. It took some trial and error but here is what my body formatting looks like:

{ "content":" A new announcement has been posted. {{EntryTitle}} - {{EntryUrl}}" }

This is how it shows inside of discord.

image.png

― Michelle McNamara

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'm actually asking if anyone is using the DynoBot for Discord. Seems pretty cool, let me know if you use it in the discord coterie.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png