Open Coterie  ·  46 members

Site Design

Where Did You Learn?

Bishop

I really want to be able to fix my own problems when a site breaks. My coder friends are the best, but I value our friendship above all and I don’t want them to feel I am only ever there for the help. 

I want to learn. I’d take classes if I knew where. 

Where did you pick it up? Where did you go to school? Did you just learn yourself?

What about resources? What do you use?

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

This should probably go in one of the coding coteries. 😉

To answer the question, though, I started out by just trying to tweak free skins waaaay back when Invisionfree was 'The' forum software 99.9% of boards used. Over years and years I picked up a little bit, figured out what tags were and how html and css interacted, how elements could be positioned, etc. Thought hover and opacity were the neatest tricks ever, figured out none of this shit looked good from phone, and wanted to be better at it all. So about three years ago I went through the whole CSS and HTML sections on w3schools.com which is an okay resource for the beginner. I've progressively gotten more serious about coding since.

Currently I'm taking a web development course on Udemy.com and I plan to take a few design courses when I'm done. That's the part I'm lacking/question most and the reason I started this coterie. My favorite resource for coders is https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/ start in the web development learning section and they will teach you everything you want to know. It's all free and it's updated more reliably than w3schools.com, it's just not worded in ways that are always as easy to understand. If you work through the learning guides, though, you should be pretty much golden.

I think most coders will agree the biggest part is not being afraid to tackle problem because honestly coding is 90% Googling stuff and 5% sweat and 5% debugging issues when you don't know what they even are. 

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

I cheated, I suppose. I have a certificate in web design, so I learned from a local college. But, admittedly, I started learning HTML and CSS as a kid when my parents had all those 90s era "webmaster for dummies" type books laying around.

A lot of it is trial and error, and referencing W3. if you ever download a skin or plugin that comes with a ReadMe files, those are sometimes informative. If you're extra lucky, the original designer or programmer left comments in.

Where you're going to look for help depends on what kind of help you're looking for, and what you need. You should always be running your markup through a validator, that will help catch minor issues like misplaced semicolons. But if it's like... actually design stuff, man, I just copy other people and create my own Frankenstein.

• Like 1

Glub glub.

6 minutes ago, Deep Sea said:

actually design stuff, man, I just copy other people and create my own Frankenstein.

Yes, this. When I was getting into code I used to get on Caution because there were skinners there who released 'retired' skins they would allow people to 'pick apart'. A user named Lauz had a bunch of them and I cobbled together a ton of 'lauzenstien' skins. lolol. It's great for figuring out how different elements work/interact.

Edited by Jones

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

Hmmm I guess I'm the other way around. The design part to me is easy, but as an artist (by hobby) I can visualize what I want places and what looks good certain ways. Like I know there is a difference between a splash of color somewhere v. a complimentary pop of color.

I just need to learn the basics. I'll go check out the coding ones. I'm learning them all!

Thank ya!

• Like 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

• 1 month later...

I learned on my own with the use of an html guide book. This of course followed my dive into rp around 11 or 12. I was big into horse rp and it was way before jcink, back when invisionfree was a new thing. I had a freewebs webpage and I had all these mini discussion boards spread out over ... basically... a webpage. Forum design was an entirely new thing when I finally drifted to invisionfree forums and rp. But generally, it was a lot of examining source code and messing with it. Script I still cannot even begin to write but I can do pretty well with html and css.

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• 5 weeks later...

I taught myself HTML/CSS in high school and am a web/graphic designer by degree and career. 

When I want to learn something new, I take it apart and fiddle with it until it makes sense. This is how I taught myself HTML/CSS. This is how I taught myself PHP for Wordpress. This is how I taught myself phpBB. And this is how I'm teaching myself MediaWiki. I come up with a few small, easy to wrestle projects and work my way through them. I often search for tutorials online.

W3Schools, Codepen, CSS Tricks, and HTML and CSS are Hard are good spots to study.

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD