Player Horror Stories

Deep Sea

You ever met that one player who just left everyone speechless, and not in a good way? Maybe you're not even salty anymore, maybe you're even impressed by the sheer magnitude of their temper tantrum.

I met someone like that on another site I was on. I'll change some names and pronouns around. I was running a roleplay and this one player, we'll call him Sequoia He was outgoing and clever, and enthusiastic about the story I was setting up.

This was a year or so ago so I don't remember all the details, but he got into a fight with another player in a different RP that was hosted on the same site. It was something about age - he wanted a thread to be 18+, but one of the players turned out to be 16 or 17. The site staff weren't going to do anything because this was Gaia Online (It wasn't actually Gaia, but it was a pretty similar site in terms of style and content) and it was a PG-13 site so like... are you really going to waste time checking if users are over 18 when there's no R-rated content on the site? No, of course not. That's dumb.

But Sequoia, that magnificent fucker, went Full Stupid. And you never go Full Stupid.

I saw the fallout in the OOC thread, I wish I had screencaps. He had a tantrum of epic proportions over the fact that some teenager on the internet dare lie about her age on a website where there's no consequences as long as you're at least 13, because there's no goddamn premium content.

He ragequit the site that night and I've never seen him since, which is a shame because my thread was gonna be bangin' and he had a great character and fantastic writing voice.

So yeah, that's my story. What dumb shit have you witnessed?

• Cheers 2
  • LOL 1

Glub glub.

• Operations Mod

I've had a few player horror encounters over the years. The one that stands out most happened twoish years ago. Mostly because of the sheer insanity, but also because through The Initiative I've learned that this individual is a bit of a chronic problem member in the RP community. So I keep finding stories about them stirring shit up, even though this individual changes their handle any time they piss off or rage quit a community. I will refer to them as Original.

Long story short we joined this site around the same time. Our first thread was pretty awesome, it went from a bit of a 'fluff' bar encounter between two acquaintances to a long night covering up a murder. We hit it off great as thread partners. So well that I did something I never do and picked up a wanted for that character.

Everything was great. After a while Original told me that they'd like to make a potential romantic interest for my character from that original thread. I was a little hesitant, because I don't do pre-determined ships unless both characters are created from scratch together - husband/wife thing, for example. But I reluctantly said that it was fine, as long as they were completely alright if the relationship didn't end up working out long run. 

I repeated this multiple times and multiple times Original assured me that it would be no problem if it didn't work out. 

So we get to playing. It was a fun character dynamic, but there was no real long term chemistry or compatibility between these two characters. Seemed obvious to me, thought it was for them. Eventually another character came along that mine really clicked with. 

Initially that didn't seem to cause much issue (at least, I thought so at the time. In retrospect I missed some clues). But then my character's relationship with Player Two's character became a site favorite. Several of the other members followed their threads together and would comment about it in our cbox. 

Things started to go downhill from there. Original started bullying Player Two any chance they could get, berating their characters, just being a general complete and utter shithead. 

Here's the kicker

Original and Player Two had been friends for years - p2 was at their wedding. 

In the end, Original denounced Player Two as a friend. They dissolved a long term, real life friendship because of figments of imagination and a fake relationship that didn't work out. 

• LOL 1
  • Cringe 3

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

It’s the worst when a hobby affects real life relationships. I have quite a few of those under my belt and I regret so

much. But it gets to a point where this person you loved so much IRL becomes

toxic. 

For example, I had a writing friend that I absolutely adored. We wrote things together by ourselves for a while before I introduced her to RP. She quick got along with most anybody. People called her our welcome wagon and our mascot. She was so cheerful, fun, and endearing. Everybody loved her. 

But she got crazy attached to another player. We were all three friends and so we would often create plots between the three of us. This girl made such amazing and creative character ideas. Her writing wasn’t amazing but she made up for it hardcore with spirit, characterization, and imagination. It just seemed like she typed faster than she could control herself so there would be typos. Eh. No big deal. 

Anyway eventually she started to become withdrawn, angry, and extremely negative. She made pointed remarks whenever my character and our mutual friends character interacted. A romance was in the works with her guy and mine but she saw chemistry between mine and our friend. She leapt off the deep end when we finally tried to talk to her about it. 

Sincerely we tried to tell her her how much we loved and cared for her as a person and that we believed the rp was ruining her. We asked her to step back and assess and maybe we could all try again one day. She did not take it well. 

It never sat well with me either. After about a year or two without contact I ventured to reach out to her. I told her I was sorry and I wanted to know if she was doing all right. She said she was. We decided no bad blood. 

But I still miss our cheery mascot to this day and I sincerely hope life is treating her better these days. 

• Love 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I think this thread is gonna need a "HOLY SHIT" reaction

• Fuck Yeah! 2
  • Preach it! 1

Glub glub.

This is a long post, but I'd like to think it's worth reading. So about... 18 months ago I ran a site with two of my friends. I met A first, on a site not related to roleplaying, and we hit it off well enough that A introduced me to his friend B. We all got along great from the start and decided to write together. The site the three of us were on was run by a lovely person who unfortunately lost interest. But she was nice enough to transfer everything to us. We three were all co-admins, managing things pretty well together and bringing in lots of new people, including a mutual irl friend of the three of us that I'll call C. 

I was living with B at the time, and two other roommates. Long story short, one of those other roommates decided to hate me for no discernible reason and refused my efforts to talk about things and work it out. She was verbally abusive towards my friends and boyfriend, defended a friend of hers that tried to sexually assault me, threw a temper tantrum when the rest of us banned that individual from the house, and ended up physically attacking me because I'd thrown something away in a trash bag that she bought. I moved out immediately when that happened with about zero regrets. Lady was batshit. 

B and I started to drift out of contact about a month after that. I found out from A that B had been shit talking and lying about me behind my back about all manner of things. Not only that, he was mad that I'd accepted his offer to help me with some things irl and decided to bitch about it to other people instead of talking with me. We started talking less and less, and by the time the holiday season rolled around, I didn't think about B very much. We hadn't really spoken in months, while I chatted daily with A, and at least every couple weeks with C. 

So I bought Christmas presents for A and C, including C's pets, and sent them off. They were delighted to get them, we talked about our holiday plans and wished each other Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and we were all good. Then I get a string of angry messages from B asking why he hadn't been sent presents. I pointed out that we hadn't said a word to each other in months, he hadn't wished me happy birthday, hadn't said Merry Christmas, had basically ignored me. I then said I knew he'd been shit talking me and lying about me behind my back for about the last six months. A and C, meanwhile, had kept in contact with me and had done nothing of the sort. Therefore, they got presents! 

Well B just lost his shit. He sent about another dozen insulting messages (the memorable one was "fuck your 'happy birthday', I want to know why you didn't send me anything") before demanding that I send his cats a present. Not him, his cats. Huh? But anyway, you don't get to ask me for anything but my forgiveness after treating me like that. I had been sending screenshots to A all along, and A had decided to save a backup of the site, which he told me. I then told B that it was best we part ways, and blocked him. B immediately went to A and started misrepresenting what had just happened. A called him out on his shit and told him to stop it. B then decided to nuke the site. 

He told everyone that I'd lied about him and that A and I had both refused to help him with any hosting costs. (He had never asked me, and A had helped him several times, though not regularly.) Several members came to me and asked what was up, because B and I went from seemingly friendly to all this drama in the space of about half an hour. I mostly kept things vague until C asked me, as she knew us all irl. I told her the truth and showed her the screenshots of my conversation with B. A vouched for me and shared his own conversation with B. C and B had their own fallout and B ended up turning his back on the three of us. 

At the time it was a major emotional blow to me - not to mention some serious wtfing on all our parts. But since then it has become The Epic and Legendary Tale of How B Went Insane, and sometimes I still wonder about how he's doing out there in the wide, wide world. I found him on another multigenre site about six months ago, so I guess he's still writing, but I haven't seen hide or hair of him since. 

• Cringe 1