Open Coterie  ·  19 members

SMF Staff People

What kinds of guides would you want?

Arceus

Nobody say themes. I know. Lol

But, aside, what kinds of guides for SMF would you want to see written? Any lil things you wish SMF did that it doesn't seem to? Any odd feature somewhere you're not sure what is/how to use? Just anything that comes to mind that you still haven't quite figured out or any questions you've had for like ever and didn't bother with, dump it all on me. (I know Too Much, I can't think of what'd be relevant to less experienced admins and users.)

Speaking of, user side! Have your members had issues with anything, found anything confusing, etc? I want to make the Initiative The Spot to go for RP resources, and I feel like SMF in particular can really benefit from a host of guides and documentations about its varying features and functions and how to make the most of them all, you know? But I'm blanking.

Help me o padawans. xD

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• 2 months later...

This is slightly Theme-ing related, but not entirely. I could have really used a guide on how to find and edit some of the standard code blocks/arrays, specifically using SSI features.

For instance, I built an info table for the top of the forum and wanted to put the recent threads in one of the tabs for that table. It was SO much harder than I expected. lol. I thought I could just slap the code block from the boardindex.template right there. But that one doesn't work unless you are on the board index. Inside topics it doesn't show up. It took me tons of reading to figure out that I could use the SSI arrays, that I could alter them to show just the bits I want and call them pretty much anywhere without touching my SSI.php file. After figuring it out I was able to do a tab for the announcements/news too. It was so great to figure it out. I found one 'guide' related to SMF SSI but it was not very helpful, I had to trial and error it out most of the way. So yeah, that is a guide I think SMF staffers would really benefit from.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my board stats down under my wrapper.  

• Great Idea 1

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png