Aesthetics over Face Claims?

Sage

I don't mind the idea of aesthetics instead of/to supplement a play-by. I like play-bys, I get why other people find them creepy to use, and I'm fine with anything as long as I have some way of knowing what the other characters look like. 

That said, honestly? I roleplay to write, not to look for pictures and make cool graphics (well, not anymore! When I was younger and had all the time in the world I would've been all over aesthetic boards). So, for example, there's this site where I've been lurking around for a months, and everything sounds really fun and I want to join - but they require a mood board with the application. That's making the app process so much more complicated for me than just finding a good avatar picture that I haven't joined yet, even though I have a character ready to jump in! 

I like to have something concrete, but for me it's also about the effect on the writing itself.  Unless a person has specifically asked not to be used on forum sites, I just overall prefer a set face and not to have to spend my time describing the character's appearance every post because past a certain point it feels weird for me to read and write,.  Admittedly, this in part depends on the language used.   I could be wrong, but I feel like if you don't have the face claim (real or animated or otherwise) there is probably more of a need to spend that time on descriptions of a character's appearance.  I just in general prefer descriptions to be done sparingly or to certain effect.  It's just not my personal focus as a writer.   I like to read and write more about internal rather than external states so when I see paragraphs and paragraphs dedicated to appearance, it's not quite as compelling for me (and for me at least,  borders on ingratiating mary sue territory when I see repeated mentions of aesthetic perfection in characters who are not supposed to be vain, though, if they are, then I'm all for it because it contributes to their personality).   This being said, there are some people that do it beautifully, and of course some of that description is absolutely necessary regardless, it's just not my particular focus as a writer.   I also could 100% be wrong about that being the effect of aesthetics rather that face claims (or a detailed description in the app) it just seems to me like it could make that more necessary? 

Anyway, I also view face claims like casting a movie and I like being able to have that clear image in my head.  Optional moodboards, though, are great. 

Edited by The Rebel
  • Love 1

royals_rebels.gif

Thank you, I had never seen these collages in action until  now. Looks pretty cool and interesting to me, but I guess I'm a traditionalist and I would prefer to use a simpler face claim to represent my characters. What I like to do is to make collages of what the character is wearing and link the image in my IC post. I guess my adventures in aesthetics are limited to that, sadly. I wouldn't mind experimenting with this concept.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, not a fan. Sorry

The past is a place of reference, not residence.