Open Coterie  ·  58 members

Gamers

The Forever Beta Scam

Morrigan

• Admin

Coming off of this topic where I brought it up:

What do you guys think of the newest Gaming scam on the market, the forever beta! Where you are promised the world (and then some) and they never deliver no matter how much you donate, you invest or whatever? Then devs just stop developing when the money is gone.

The biggest scam artist so far is a game called Star Citizen:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/08/31/and-your-monthly-star-citizen-controversy-is-a-20-paywall-to-watch-citizencon/#22626aa5697b

190 million dollars that they raised to develop this game just to come back and say "WELL WE NEED MORE MONEY FOR FURTHER DEVELOPMENT!"

AND THEY AREN"T EVEN DONE WITH THE GAME! They aren't even in beta! They are in Alpha!

Special Note: I will add, that, while it's still in early access for STW, Fortnite does not appear to be one of these sorts of scams. They are actually delivering new content and actually developing a well produced and great game (still don't understand why they don't just lock TP and release the game but... not my game I guess). They are just taking forever but there are other games out there that do this as the one listed above.

Opinions? Thoughts? Are you as fucking jaded as I am?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only bought two unfinished games - Subnautica and Fortnite. Subnautica was reviewing very well by my preferred gaming website and Fortnite had seen streamed (this was back before BR). Otherwise, I've never backed a game. Which is why I ask: is it that common? Or do people keep on backing untried devs/companies with a bad track record anyway/games that promise the world?

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• Admin

It's actually becoming more and more common. In fact there are loads of games that stay in beta for years. I'm pretty sure Conan was in beta for 2-3 years before they properly released early this year?

It's just a new trend that is happening with game developers that feel the hype will get them more money then the actual launch mostly because they over promise and under-deliver and they have clauses for "No-take backsies". The one I linked above is the most abhorrent one so far but with games like Fortnite still in Beta... it's making me wonder if we're not heading toward a trend where even big companies (like Epic, Origin and Blizzard) start releasing beta games to squeeze more money out of you than you would pay waiting for a fully released game. Blizzard did it with WoW when it first came out so it wouldn't surprise me if it became a new Gaming trend.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.