How do you find time to write solo and in RP

Kit the Human

I've always struggled to maintain writing by myself and in a roleplay setting. Which is to say....I've never been able to write by myself since I discovered roleplay XD I think roleplay offers instant gratification, so I think I struggle where that instant gratification isn't present.

How do you manage to do both?

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Honestly, by... doing both.

I know that's probably not terribly helpful, so I'm gonna try and explain.

For me, at least, writing with others gives me bigger, better ideas, and staves off the boredom that tends to come from solo writing; it's all fairly predictable (errr well, at least right up until your characters do that plot <= => them thing, but that brings its own problems), and being able to fully see and understand all sides of the story-line can lead to it feeling really stale and being a chore to write, rather than being fun. A big part of the draw of role-play is the unpredictability factor of writing with someone else whose mind you cannot read. But! That's what ping-ponging with others once in a while is for. It helps me stay not-bored, remain focused and grounded, and sometimes, gives me some neat ideas as I go. Incorporating new concepts thought up during role-playing really helps keep the story feeling fresher and funner, too.

Now, obviously, if you role-play and write in the same general setting, it tends to all get annoying very quickly, so I wouldn't recommend that, but you can mix it up and keep things clear for yourself. A big part of it also really boils down to doing it. Set aside some time here and there where you'll focus on solo-writing projects, and really stick to it. Even if all you get out of it is a few sentences or a paragraph, that's something, isn't it? I feel like, in a way, role-playing kind of skews our concept of what constitutes "progress" and "good enough." If this chapter in this book was a role-play thread, I'd have thousands of words in it already, you say to yourself. I write so slowly by myself.

NO.

Be kinder to yourself. It's okay if you only get a bit. It's still more than you had before.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I had wondered the same thing for a while. Then I started consciously making time for novels, not only during NaNoWriMo. And even when I was writing in the same genre, it was all right, I could write on my own what I was limited in writing with others. I have days for posts and days for novel.

• Thank you 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 months later...

I am a part-time college student who has lots of free time. I spend most of my time creating character profiles and writing their stories when I should be doing my chores. I write whenever I can so the plots/ideas/characters do not disappear before I can write them down.

Niasma

• 8 months later...

Honestly, I second @Arceus

You kinda just have to do it. It's like forcing yourself. It doesn't have to be perfect, or right. You don't even have to keep it in the story, but you have to do it. It has to be as scheduled as laundry, cause otherwise something more fun will always take its place.

Like RP.

That being said, I'm not good at this at all. It takes will power and practice. Both of which I am incapable of exercising on a regular basis. One day. NaNo (Camp and November) help me the most, because it's somewhat punishable if I don't do it. (I want that award darnit!) It kicks you in the rear to get you started. Keeping the momentum after is the tricky part.

BLACK LAND | Plot | Species | Discord

A Modern Supernatural RP with a Midwestern Gothic Vibe

Honestly I just closed two sites to make time for it. I have a list of priorities and running those extra sites was low tier. I felt shitty doing it but it’s done and it’s not like I can’t reopen later. 

• Love 1

Reality is an illusion.