Thoughts On Mobile Hidden Affiliates

c.widow

This pertains mainly to administration but I have seen this trend on a few places. When coding a responsive website some users have went as far as to hide affiliates on a mobile view (which I understand less images = less distraction/loading time and more friendly user experience when nothing is in the way) but how do admins feel about this?

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

As an admin I wouldn't mind. I think if there was a way to put a small little note at the bottom saying "We love our community and if you want to see others, view this theme on desktop."

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

• Admin

There are ways to make things text links it would just require a separate affiliate section where you put your affiliates links without their buttons. To each their own though.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

My co-administrator (the one in charge with coding and graphics, as I am useless) hid the affiliates under a table parallel with the c-box. It is seen when clicking on the button above the c-box (and there are also other tables than the affiliates, such as navigation, plot, etc. ). I don't like it, but she does. She says that the buttons of various colours, dissonating with the skin, are distracting, while there they aren't distracting.

She might be right from this point of view. But from the marketing point of view, I think the purpose is to be seen, not to be hidden. I have to accept it, because I don't know how to do any different, and that she is the one in charge with coding and graphics. But I don't really like it.

I wouldn't personally mind. I nearly always view my own website (and others) in desktop view on my mobile anyway, just think it looks much better on there!

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord

Honestly I'd never go on a site on my mobile if they have their entire affiliates code visible. My mobile's wifi is bad enough with text-only pages. Lately it seems like having gif buttons are popular and that certainly doesn't help loading times any. I would be completely fine with this as an admin, and it's what I do myself with my site's skins. It's honestly not important enough for me to make a fuss over it. 

I have four buttons so I don't bother with hiding on phones. For those with obscene numbers of affiliates, it seems wise to not show or switch to text only links.

But wouldn't hiding be common anyway given the prevalence of jcink and its mobile theme? Affiliates won't appear in the mobile version of the site.

• Like 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I don't typically use mobile, but... thinking on it now, when accessing my own site, I don't think they're visible? And that's not something conscious, but literally no images show up on 'mobile' for me? I have to switch to desktop on my phone.

Personally I don't care if you can't see my button on someone's site via mobile. If you're using a site on mobile are you even really flipping through sites? I'd think you were just there to post.

tumblr_inline_mi4wioKiIr1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4wi5wYHQ1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4whxLHiF1roozkr.gif

Join ODL's Discord!
xuv911.png  xSxavN.png
NTRL coming eventually.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:51 PM, Kit the Human said:

But wouldn't hiding be common anyway given the prevalence of jcink and its mobile theme? Affiliates won't appear in the mobile version of the site.

Can confirm - jcink's default mobile view hides their built-in affiliate table. Which I absolutely hate.

I don't remove affiliates from mobile view when I'm writing a responsive skin. I like making everything on my site as accessible as possible. And a large portion of my players and guests access the site via mobile (my google analytics numbers can confirm) so I want to be able to do my affs a solid. I also expect the same in return. I want the best return in my affiliate investment as possible. Visibility is everything. If I know a site deliberately turns off my link then I'm not gonna affiliate.

I hadn't thought of turning those images into just text links for mobile though. That's a grand idea and something I'll do in the future. I don't like the thought of my affiliates' images eating up precious data now that I think about it. So thanks for that!

• Like 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Considering that some people still have data restrictions and things like lots of images/gifs can eat up their usage then personally I think it's just plain considerate not to force the display of aff images on them. I know on Jcink they can in their settings turn off avatars showing for similar reasons. As long as people are still seeing them when not on mobile, that's fine by me. Some people don't even use the default mobile skin on Jcink(me for example) when actually mobile, but chooses desktop view so those people see the affs too. As long as the site has my button up, that's enough for me. It doesn't have to eat up usage on mobile for their players and guests who might need it for more important things so they don't run out before it rolls over.