Dragon

• Operations Mod

Are there any patterns you catch yourself falling into when creating new characters? Things like gender, physical/personality traits or things like birth dates/zodiac signs? Whether or not they keep pets, or the kinds of pets they keep. Any sort of thing, really. 

Are there any kinds of traits that you intentionally incorporate into all characters? As an example (arguably a particularly odd one), I was once on a site with a player who would literally only play characters with a name that began with C. 

So what are your patterns and quirks with character building? And, more importantly, is there any specific reason why? 

• Love 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Hmm, patterns, patterns...

I have a thing for birds! I have...so many characters with bird names. Rook. Owl/Einin. Aderyn. Raven. Wanna make a Wren and a Lark and a Crow and an Egret. Just. All the bird names. D8 And animal names in general, like Koi, Scarab, Fawn...no particular reason, I just like how they sound and feel.

I tend to play all LGBTQIA characters. Mostly pansexual, but also trans, non-binary, lesbian, gay, etc. Out of 120 characters, I only have 1 heterosexual. Just not really interested in playing 'em, so I'd say that's my most consistent pattern.

I also play a lot of super extroverted go-getters. I'm shy IRL, but find it really hard to play shy characters, so those tend to be a challenge for me. A lot of them often have some niche interest that they SUPER GEEK OUT about and annoy everyone else with. xD

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

• Admin

For me I primarily play women as far as gender but all of my characters are always a nerd in some way. Sometimes they are secret nerds or they are very blatant nerds but I love playing nerdy characters.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

White gay brunette dudes with short beards in their 30s. 😣

My ladies tend to be far more diverse in personality, age and appearance.

Most of them like cats.

However my cast of characters must contain the additional following:

• An amoral cannibal with a unique perspective on the world and an inflated sense of their own importance.
  • A dumb and very sensitive teenage boy who is acting out his limited perception of what a man is.
  • A grumpy young lady who kicks the ground, hates everyone, had a horrible life... But is oh so very loyal to those who are nice to her.
  • Like 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Most of my characters either don't have mothers of have a very strained relationship with them;

They're mostly ones who do practical work - cooking, fixing cars, etc;

All of them have a 'motherly' behavior, always looking out for other people, be it their children or just random people they've taken under their wing;

My guys are either absolute jerks or lovable dorks, there's no in-between.

Shady McShaderson

Certainly not all of them, but many of my characters were adopted -- officially or unofficially.

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I've noticed I tend to play characters that aren't widely... available? Whether that be emotionally or geographically lmao. I like the shut-ins, the anti-socials, and the uninterested, but they are sometimes so difficult to play because of this. Not always, but typically. So I made a conscious effort on my new site to figure out how to make characters more open to all sorts of plots and that's been fun. It's nice having options.

Aside from that, when it comes to original characters I usually give them something that inspired me as a kid. Whether that's a name or a basic plot point, it varies, but they've all got something that ties them to me in that manner.

For instance, I gave a character the middle name Harriet from my favorite movie as a kid, Harriet the Spy. Or another character had a love for Sherlock Holmes, which spawned from my own interest in the stories as a kid, and her brother was called Basil, a nod to Great Mouse Detective, which is Disney's answer to the Sherlock stories lol. 

tumblr_inline_mi4wioKiIr1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4wi5wYHQ1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4whxLHiF1roozkr.gif

Join ODL's Discord!
xuv911.png  xSxavN.png
NTRL coming eventually.

I always start with a face claim first, as I find it easier to work on a character if I know how that character will look like. Once the physical aspect is out of the way, I work in details that would make sense for someone who looks like the face claim I have selected. This won't always be the case, however. I love to incorporate elements that people wouldn't imagine just by looking at someone. As an example, I play this very attractive, fit male character who is a total nerd and thinks that the Singularity is the only way forward for mankind. Most people looking at his face claim wouldn't think he nearly worships computers.

One thing that all my characters have in common is that they're naturally dominant; I'm the same in real life and, despite trying, I can't bring myself to play other kind of characters. I also prefer to play characters who have many tattoos, because I'm inked the same way in real life and I find tats very aesthetically pleasing (unless they are obscenities like this one). Other than that, I try to stay away from my real life and have as diverse characters as I can get away with. I usually take or create characters that are supposed to be psychos, or at least troubled in some way. I find playing evil a touch more stimulating than playing goody two-shoes characters.

I usually play dudes, generally white, though of varying ages, builds, lifestyles, etc. They tend to be on the gayer side (either actually gay, or bi/pan with a male preference), though I do have a straight one in there somewhere (and another so deep in the closet he found Narnia).  I have been told that each and every one of them looks like they were either shoved into a locker in high school, or need to be. 

For a while I was stuck in the A name rut, where a good chunk of my characters had a name beginning with A. I finally broke free of that.

I tend towards warrior women often, or even short women who think they are giant badasses. While I have a few characters that break that archetype, its just something I absolutely love playing. Especially when they are confident in battle but awkward socially.

My biggest character pattern is that almost all of my characters are male-identifying, transmasc or on the nonbinary spectrum somewhere, since I have dysphoria issues and have had trouble getting back into playing female characters reliably(though I do currently have a couple of female characters that I love to bits). 

LGBT+ characters - though I try to have a lot of variety here even though I can't play hetero to save my life anymore LOL. Gay, pan, bi, demi, ace, all kinds of romantic orientations that may or may not always match their sexuality. 

My go-to character types tend to be either the 'cinnamon roll' or 'deadpan snarker' archetypes, though I have been trying to throw a little more variety in there so they don't start blending together xD not sure how well that's going 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I in general tend to play neutrals or evils.  I like to play characters who aren't afraid to break the rules and do what it takes to get what they want.  I also tend to play bisexual characters, but I try to branch out a little bit more since I know I tend to do that.  I also make a firm effort to branch out to different character archetypes.  My favorite characters I've ever done was a neutral evil lioness, a cinnamon roll aardwolf with anxiety, and probably my dumb tiger.  They're so different, but I love them to death.

560477986_OmneTopsitesBanner.jpg.e4efd3b88a4bc89491a2b81775acca91.jpg

Link

The majority of my characters are female, I think I have like... 2 male OCs and only one of those is a character I actually enjoy writing.

My main group tends to have blue/gray eyes too, and most of them are tall and wiry with pale skin. Lots of warrior/assassin-types and spellswords/mage-ish characters. Morally gray is all over the place too, and it's perhaps even more prominent in my "good" characters. Also lots of ironic names, such as Sigyn (for the abused archer who wouldn't know what to do wit a healthy relationship if you hit her over the head with it) and Mercy (who is very unmerciful when it comes to much of her family) Ouroboros (who has a fear of snakes, undead, and wolves/dogs) and Hilde (who is now a healer, but used to be a fucking terrifying Valkyrie who knew how to fight)

A lot of characters were also originally based off of wrestlers like "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, HHH, Samoa Joe, etc. A lot of them also tend to be nerds when it comes to things like weapons, history/architecture and languages/books.

As far as sexuality/gender goes, majority  are straight, there's a few that are bi, ace, pan, though I have never had a strictly gay/lesbian character (I'm toying with the idea for the daughter of one of my main OCs, though as we have yet to actually get her in-universe after 6 years of headcanon and character building, I'm unsure if she'll even "happen" as we've just never had the chance to really rp her parents to get them past friendly-acquaintance level.  I also have never had a nonbinary/trans/non-cis character.

• 4 weeks later...

I fail at playing anything beyond the basical male/female as far as gender. I have two characters who don’t really identify as either but still mostly slip the femme way. Idk.

And I think almost all of my male characters are secretly or not so secretly great bug fussy fuss pots out to make everyone feel better. 

I’m sure there are plenty more similarities and weird ruts I’m in but I’m too busy to hunt them out and worry about them. Then I might stress and worry and fret and never have fun again. Stupid brrrain. 

88x31buttondandy.png

I like outsiders, weirdos, and such. But I also seem to make a lot of confident leader types on my own sites so that I can move plot stuff along as needed. (My soft spot is always the weirdos though.) I also like naive cinnamon rolls and energetic chatty characters. Maybe because they're my exact opposite. 

I play like 95% male characters but they tend to be a diverse bunch. I tend toward Asian playbys because it's the media I most consume and I find it easier to locate faces that way. But I also love a diverse cast of characters and will go out of my way to google stuff like "Actors over 50" or "Irish male models." Just depends on the character idea forming in my head. (Which usually correlates with a song.) 

Lots of non-straight characters. Even the ones who are meant to be straight curve a little, like they'll have a bromance with their same sex BFF or whatever that people are raising eyebrows about even while dating a lady. 

While not technically diagnosed, most of my characters aren't what you'd call... neurotypical. And the list goes on.

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion.