Struggling to get staff members

Lucky Cat

I'm the only staff member at my site. I opened it by myself, had help for a couple months, and then went back to staffing by myself for many more months. Since my previous mod retired, I've had ads up on my site and at another resource community (that specifically caters to my type of site) looking for help. My main requirement is that they've been a member at the site for a month (to help get them adjusted and see if the site is for them before committing to a staff position). I see lots of people getting staff from that other community, but I can't seem to get any staff members myself.

On my site, I have the mod search pinned as an announcement and linked on the chat. I've specified other requirements (basic duties such as help going through apps and sorting lists/accounts) on top of optional tasks they could do if they wanted, as well as what I wouldn't have them do as a mod (e.g. handle difficult members).

Any suggestions on what I could do to get another staff member?

Edited by Lucky Cat

52 minutes ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

Speak to people that are already on the site that you feel would be a good addition to your staff team. That's how I find staff almost every single time. Most people don't read those announcements, but they'd be more then willing if offered.

Thanks~. I'll see if that works (hopefully it doesn't feel too pressuring).

Unfortunately many people want the title of staff but don't want to do the work incumbed by the title...

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Sadly more often then not people who come to ads to be staff are not the kind of people you want for staff.

Often those people who are seeking "power" and  status

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Dune: Sands of Time

A cooperative writing group based on Frank Herberts Dune

You just have to keep marketing the position. Advertise your search on more than just that one resource site. Tumblr is a great resource for this, so post your search on some of the tumblr rp resource blogs. Add it into your signature on the resource sites you belong to and get posting! Honestly, the higher the visibility for the job, the more likely someone will see it and want it. 

• Like 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I second asking people already on your site. Look for folks who have already demonstrated skills that you would value in staff members, who are dedicated, play well with others, and who may already be helping out with events, art, code advertising or other things you might need staff to do. If you are wary of asking them to be staff up front, you can ask if they want to help with specific projects or events, (a special holiday plot or a contest for examples) and ask about a more permanent role if you like what you see.

• Agree 2

At any given time I can give you my "short list" of members I think would be up to the task, and if we think we need help, one of them will be approached. If you don't have enough members to create at least a small pool of contenders, you probably don't have enough to need the extra help yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

IKiE2z.png

We promote within. I've been with my staff crew for four years now so I haven't had to face this for quite some time. But before we were all staffing, we were all members on the same site and were eventually asked to help or just gave help. We work well together so we've kind of stuck together and after four years we know each other on a personal level and are even planning to go to a wedding (one of us is getting married). So it happens! You can do it. But staff ads I am always leery of. I would much rather approach members who know the site and who I get along with and feel would be an asset.

• Like 2

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png