How long do you wait for a reply?

Anonymous

A comfortable wait time for me is between a day and three, but I'll happily wait a week.

I get antsy if I receive a reply immediately after I post, like five minutes to a half hour afterward, and just as antsy if I've been waiting for several days to a week. Especially if I have the character in multiple simultaneous threads containing significant character growth. Meaning, if a thread drags on waiting for replies weeks to months old, but the other threads are chugging along steadily, both me and the character will not be in the same headspace when my turn finally comes around again in the slow thread. Having to reread a thread and work to recall what and where my character was at that time is such a chore.

After a week, I typically send the player a blip to make sure they have not forgotten about the thread. After a two weeks, I begin to lose my train of thought and interest in general...and I send another blip. After a month, I'm frustrated by the painfully slow pace and have dismissed the thread - and perhaps the player as well - as not worth the effort. I have returned to threads that have waited a month+ for a reply, yeh, but I dislike doing so. ...Writing a reply for an old thread always feels clunky and stiff, because of that chore of recalling what was happening then and figuring out how my character should act given what is currently going on in their life hasn't happened yet. As opposed to...just freely writing the character in the moment... All the trouble associated with a long wait sucks the fun right out of rp for me.

In the past, I had been more patient. I'd tolerate the occasional month+ wait with a smile. Over time, however, the frustration grew. I used to give a thread one long wait before I ducked out, then each player got one long wait before I avoided them, then each site got one long wait before I ghosted. Now, I don't join a site if the threads wait longer than a week for replies.

goShaveYourGiantHeadOfSmellWithYourBadSelf.png.330cfee24df61fd4cc42c52e66e63ab6.png

Although I like to get replies on a weekly basis, I know I have to be willing to wait at least as long as I might make others wait for me. Due to life issues that's become a few weeks to a month in some cases. I also eventually come to expect particular types of paces from different kinds of players. If I recognize someone is a slow poster I'll wait longer for them without questioning or poking them for a reply than for someone who is usually a fast poster.

• Agree 1

I am extremely patient when it comes to waiting for a reply, however, if a month has gone by, or even two weeks, I will message the person to be sure they are still interested in the thread.

48B2BDDB-40A9-4752-9E3F-C4378F7CA7CF.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I'd say it depends on the person that you're playing with.  Some people are amazing writers and it takes a while for them to get into that mode, some people can write pages and pages without any issue instantly and still be just as amazing.  If you can't wait for a particular post from someone, and you've brought it up to them before, then you want to tell them that (in a nice way!), and then move on.  It's only fair to have what's reasonable between you and the other player -- they need to compromise a little too.

• Agree 1

Signature

If my rp partner hasn't posted do to a leave of absence, then I will stick around and wait for them.  However, if I haven't heard from them during in like a month, then it might be time to move on.