How did you name your site?

Morrigan

Healing Hearts Ranch got its name because that was the name of the ranch that is co owned by one of my character's on the site.  I also couldn't come up with anything else that fit.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

My last site, 'The town where you lived' came from a song by the Once, a local band from the area the game is set in and I've assumed the song is about the same town. Listening to it gave me a strong mental connection to the setting. Of course it was too long for the url but I also liked the shortened version of ttwyl and the similarity to ttyl. In the past I've typically just went with random phrases that popped in my head or used a translation or the name of the setting.

I went to a dictionary site and looked up all words starting with "ex" because how can you not have an X- pun in the name of an X-Men site?

image.png.f86e26073cdaafb73587b2b54a3de1f2.png

It was originally lyrics from a song my co-admin chose, something short and which tickled the imagination. In the end, a lore-related explanation was chosen for it, making it all seem like it was planned all along! 😛

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

I named mine based on the idea of the site, not realizing that the fandom already had a video game with the same title.p, which I found interesting. I merely went with an idea and came up win th the name that supported it.

48B2BDDB-40A9-4752-9E3F-C4378F7CA7CF.jpeg

We did a group brainstorm and then voted. Witchlight is a form of BJT craft too so its all very hand in hand. We had phrase names and bunch of others in the running. Short and punchy won out I guess.

88x31buttondandy.png

Sagas of the Wild West: My members and I all agreed it was a catchy title for a roleplay set in the American wild west. It also followed the theme of being based on old 1950s and 1960s movies and TV western series such as Death Valley Days, Big Valley, Bonanza.

Storm Shelter was the name of the business owned by the main characters. It also was part of the overall theme - people finding respite and help dealing with personal "storms". 

Chronicles of Aereth - we originally wanted a title that sounded like a swords and sorcery roleplay. Aereth was chosen since we wanted something that sounded similar to Earth. Our original concept stated that the world of Aereth might be a parallel Earth or even a post-apocalyptic Earth. We have since moved away from that and made it an entirely separate world although it does parallel Earth development when it comes to some flora and fauna.

In all three cases, the core original members and I discussed ideas and agreed on a site title. It was great fun!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

We just recently changed the name of our site. We have gone back to our roots and with permission of one of the co-creators who is rping with us again, took back our old name. It feels like home again.

jlLQ2fy.png

I wasn't staff on Charming until a couple years in; it was already named for me 😉

She got back at me though and now I have to name all the damn skins every season

Generally, I prefer a 1-3 word name. I think anything longer is too much of a mouthful! I ran a medievalesque fantasy many moons ago, set primarily in one city. I named it after the city. Expressed what the board was about AND it was short and punchy xD

• Agree 1

IKiE2z.png

I like 1-3 word titles too for sites I'm joining (much longer and it's just a pain and loses punch) - for sites I make though I prefer single words. I like to try and come up with something witty. I've always been jealous of the above ^^^ Charming worked so well both with the era and HP theme I was just like aaarrrggh why didn't I  ever make a victorian HP site JUST so I could call it that lol. So yeah I like one word - it's easier and gives the site a feel of identity I find...

Aeipathy got it's name because I genuinely couldn't think of something that I liked that was era appropriate, and I knew I wanted to expand the site to different empires and realms so I couldn't make the word geographically relevant. So, I went on feeling. Aeipathy means a burning and driving passion. It was what I wanted people to feel about the site. 😄

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

We kinda turned things around. We had a vague idea of a tagline before we had a set site name.  We wanted to include what writing can do or mean in general, not just RP. We also knew we wanted something to catch the general eye.

Solvitur Charta means literally "To write is to solve". Our tagline became "writing is the solution" because we felt that for many it is. It's a way to say that which we can't otherwise (letters never sent), it's a way to find new friends through a mutual hobby or just escape their shitty real life situations.

• Like 1

Always believe in yourself and keep going. You don't have to have the most talent in the world. You don't have to be the smartest person in the world. If you persist and you persist and you persist, you will be successful.

Dean Cain

IjdT9HX.png
1x1 Partner Searches | Group Searches

We wanted something that was short and sweet (maybe a little punny) and to the point, hence my nominee (and eventually winner) Multerra for our custom setting crossover verse. I worked on another crossover/pan-fiction site years ago that we called 'Another Destiny' (because you were telling 'another destiny' of your character, huehue).

Naming is always the tricky part (lore is much more entertaining).

logo.png

I was watching a rated r movie and decided to name it RATED R. It seemed to work well since it wasn't used before. 🤣

BvbgyJ.jpg

My first role-play was called Mors Indecepta. It means death is not deceived, and was the name of an episode of Starz's Spartacus series.

My second was Hymnus Apollon. I wanted something in Latin, or that sounded like it was Latin, that wasn't cliche like Invicta or something; admittedly, it was called Invicta in its early days. Hymnus Apollon roughly means the hymn of Apollo.

My current game is called Skybreak, and that probably sounds like a very arbitrary name, lol. It is inspired by a video game, and Skybreak Spire is a dungeon in that game (it's actually Black Tower in the original version of the game, so I'm not sure how it became Skybreak Spire). Skybreak is so... so, that it's pretty unique and kind of catchy.

Skybreak

Wuxia Oriental Fantasy