How did you name your site?

Morrigan

• Admin

So we sometimes have reasons, sometimes its what's available. Sometimes it's torture to decide what to name your site. It took me nearly 2 months to come up with "Realm of Roleplays" for my GM site that I recently opened. Nothing else felt right until I found the name for the premise of the site but now that I have it it's perfect.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I woke up to Before the Mast already skinned and named, just a link on yahoo messenger. It made sense, but I did not know the expression at that time (naming the crew's cabin aboard a tall ship) at that time.

I named Caribbean Dawn after polling my members for names, and voting them, because it was just a new chapter in the story, we had already members who was right to have a voice in the choice. It also makes sense, since we turned more colonial-oriented than seafaring -oriented.

For the one which was never opened, The Quest, it had a general name, because a Viking expedition was a quest. A song of Alestorm inspired me too (and the Man of La Mancha was an additional one).

Edited by Elena
  • Love 1

For Phoenix Rises (modern fantasy/supernatural), I was googling quotes about phoenixes, because I knew that I wanted a phoenix to be a recurring theme of the story. "Only the phoenix rises and does not descend" ended up being both the text on our banner and the phrase I named the board from. 

Arkenstone (movieverse AU based on The Hobbit) centers around the Lonely Mountain and the dwarves that now live there. I chose it because it's not only something recognisable to anyone even passingly familiar with the fandom, but also because it's integral to movie and site canon

• Agree 1

Bit of a reference to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and The Good Place. I really want to expand on that theme so that the reference is stronger, but without making it seem like my site is a The Good Place or Hitchhikers RP.

Also, I wanted it to be like, we build a home here and every member contributes to that. So user groups and so on reflects that.

• Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Wanted to buy Esoterica and fat fingered it. I liked the way Estorica sounded and kept it. "What does Estorica mean?" is a site meme. That has spawned several ridiculous theories involving aliens, the Illuminati, and gay frogs. The truth is openly ignored because logic dictated we should have picked a different name. Our logic was to stick to this bad boy no matter what the cost. Dedication intensified due to the mistake.

• LOL 3

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

It’s a line from a song. 🙂

Reality is an illusion. 

Honestly, I looked up pretty words on pinterest first. The site I've designed allows characters and players to make new things in-game and expand the world, so Meraki - meaning to put a piece of your soul into your work - just kind of fit. And it's personally appealing because I've never really built a site from the ground up on my own time, or loved it quite as much.

Now I've got a name, I just need the header and skin, and I'll be all ready. 🙂

As a fandom RP, having something that connected to the fandom was essential when we went about making a new place. Thedas is the continent the games take place on, and we decided we didn't want to stick with one timeline, so Timelines made sense to us. Recognizable and defined the setup really easily.

I was on the phone with my co-admin and we were just talking about various things and trying to come up with a name for our post potter rpg. At that time, we had no plans to actually open it just to work on it whenever the spark hit. While we were brainstorming I saw an ad for Wicked the musical, which I'm in love with btw, and wondered out loud why they hadn't made it into a movie yet. He said something along the lines of "Oh well there you have it, wicked!" I was sure the url on jcink would be taken already but I got lucky and it wasn't. After working on wicked for three years we decided to open lol

• Love 2

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

• Operations Mod

Dead Before Daylight was a reference to how greatly the odds were stacked against any mortal that wound up pitted against a werewolf on a full moon night. Unfortunately the game Dead by Daylight released about six months later, created an unwanted parallel so I adopted the name of one of the primary setting locations - Dawnbreak. The haven town, named for dawn being when the "curse" is associated with breaking.

My favorite site name, though, was Poisonwood. Named because the villagers would bind bundles of wolfsbane/aconite to the trees surrounding the village believing that it would ward werewolves away from their homes and flocks. 

• Love 2
  • Great Idea 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

"Spirits of the Earth" was "Spirit of the Wolf" when I first started building it, because it was gonna be a wolf RPG, but then I decided I wanted to include other animals, so I changed it to "Spirits of the Earth". Idk. I was 16 when I made it and it made sense in my head. And of course it only stayed an animal RPG for a couple months before it turned into what it is now, lmao.

Then "Remnants of the Earth" came about because it's SotE set 5000 years in the future, and it's a dystopian, awful place now. 8D So its basically what's left now, the remnants.

Edited by Viscount Rhi-Rhi
  • Agree 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

I have almost always used song lyrics or phrases as site names. I've now come to hate that process.

These days, I'm on the obscure word bandwagon. Searching pretty words on pinterest is my go to now.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

The name Omne comes from Latin and means: All, Universe.  It was fitting for our lore, so we kept it.  Plus it's short and sweet, easy to remember. lol

560477986_OmneTopsitesBanner.jpg.e4efd3b88a4bc89491a2b81775acca91.jpg

Link

Uhmmm:

Messiah comes from... well, Messiah. That's a central theme of the entire board story, actually, which is funny because there's nothing terribly - ... actually, lemme hold my ponies because he's pretty Gotta Save Em All, tbh. Anyway, there's one character that's the fabled Messiah but his power's mostly given to him because the people believe he has it, anyway. Catch 22s.

Aphelion is the name for the point of orbit when a planet or asteroid is the furthest away from the sun as it will get in its orbit path. Ergo it's a really... nerdy way to say "away from the sun." Implies darkness without doing so too overtly. A+. Also it's kinda catchy. (P.S. the opposition is perihelion, if anyone was curious.)

Imperion is a mutation of imperial <=> imperialism, because the entire board's centred around imperialistic style expansion and conquering everyone else. Woohoo. Imperion has a nicer ring to it than imperialism. And there are like 90 boards named Imperium or some variation thereof. Exaggeration but you get me.

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

The Onyx Treaty - I wanted the spirit of my site to be one of dark imagery  but bound by rigid and archaic rules. Rules that maybe we could cast aside..... 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg