Applications, what kind do you use and why

Kit the Human

Actually what it says on the tin 😁

What I want to do (among other things) is write a guide on not using applications, using them and different application types (with their strengths and weaknesses.)

To help me with that, I would love to hear your thoughts on the following:

Do you use applications on your site?

Yes/no

If not, why not?

If not, what is the strength in going appless?

If yes, what kind?

Shipper/Traditional/Freeform/etc

What does that application include? How is it used on your site?

Include a link to your app on your site to help you describe what your application includes! As for how is it used, an example might be, we move the application to a plotting area and people reply to the application directly.

What, in your opinion, is the strength of your application type?

Remember, this isn't a debate! As always, there is no objectively right way to run many aspects of your site. Applications are one of those aspects that is subjective. But the way you do things works well for you because....

This ought to be purely from a staffers perspective!

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

We use profiles. Which are submitted in a character creation forum. I guess that counts?

It took some work to do on my part but has been overall, a lot easier on staff and members. Steps to set it up included heavy alteration to the main profile html template in jcink. Then a complete list of custom fields to mirror the profile structure I created. I then took it a step further to make it easier and nicer to take in for members. I removed the default fields completely in the UCP using some css (so no fields about birthdays or AIM or yahoo contacts). Also, I used some script that makes fields that weren't filled out, invisible. So you don't wind up with a lot of "no information" fields on the profile when essentially the field would not apply to the character or be considered optional. And at the end of it is a Yes/No question of whether or not the rules were read and by submitting you agree to jcinks terms as well as rules we've set in place.  I have a forum set up for members to just post in and quickly say "hey i'm done", so staff can go look at their profile and then go from there. 

Why I did this

1. No code to fix or to explain. Not everyone knows html. I've even met some who balked at bbcode.  It usually turned into extra work for staff, either by way of walking a person through how to fill it out or  having to fix a mistake that not only breaks the application but possibly the post structure. 

2. It focused less on 'pretty' and more on writing. The field structure is very cut and dry. I love simplicity and for those who like to work on stuff in word, I do provide a text outline of the profile.

3. Again less work. I don't have to 'sort' anything beyond just setting them in the appropriate group and then replying with a happy pat on the back. 

4. I don't have to keep up with archiving applications.

5. Less work for my members if I decide to change something or alter the profile. If I change the html template, no one has to rush and update the layout of their application. 

So in a way this kind of eliminates freeform? We keep things more traditional i guess? Because it is very structured by simple fact-giving for the first half. These aren't only applications, but reference sources for the community. Its very easy to view their profile and figure out quick facts about their age, where they are from, if they are capable of magic... where you have to do a more thorough inspection with freeform. 

Bottom line I just like structure...  and I hate over-complicating things. I like things to be easy to find so keeping every profile the same makes that easy because then where to find info on characters is predictable.  We have had a few give some very creative histories but that is essentially the perfect place for that. 

Edited by Maevis
  • Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

I'm sorry @Maevis for not being clearer!

I'm not asking for opinions on whether applications should be done in profiles or threads (although they really should be done in profiles 😉 ) I'm asking about the actual application irregardless of whether it's a profile, a database/wiki entry/form, a thread, or what have you.

As an admin, when you create a certain application you choose whether to have it a traditional one, freeform, shipper and so on. You can have a freeform app if your application is your profile (I did)! If your forum software allows comments on profiles, you can even go for a shipper app.

But you choose one of those, or a hybrid.

There is a reason why you pick a certain app style and this is what I'm trying to get into. Why that app style? What questions does it involve? If none, how does it work for you?

Try using my questions in my original post! I've deliberately included them to try and keep the focus on track. If you want to discuss application medium (profile vs thread vs database/wiki entry) you're more than become to make a new topic. Honestly, it'd be a great discussion.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Yes.

If yes, what kind?

Traditional.

This is our application. It comprises name, aliases, age and birthday, gender, occupation (or title, for the nobility), birth place, current location, face claim, general appearance, clothing (besides learning about the character, we learn about the writer too if familiarised or not yet with the clothing of the 18-th century), personality, family connections, history, weapon skills. (And nobody can be perfect in using all the weapons).

People open a new thread in the unfinished bios (or finished, if they worked it in word before, like me), then the staff approve it and move it into the registry.

It ensures a well built character, with answers to the main questions, helping with integrating the character in the story. It also shows that the writer has researched the period the story happens in. 

OK, @Kit the Human, gonna take a shot at this!

Yes

If not, why not?

N/A

I do see the benefits - less work all around, encourages people to join that hate doing apps, etc.

If yes, what kind?

Shipper/Traditional/Freeform/etc

I have absolutely no idea! I'm guessing traditional? It's a combination of dropdowns, short text fields, and longer free-form editor fields for things like personality and history. We offer a tab for additional player notes and character notes so the profiles can be used for shippers and plotters, I guess. We do offer forums for plotting but almost everyone does all the OOC stuff in Discord.

On my two sites that are borderline real world (a western and an action adventure), there are sections for appearance, personality, and history. Since they are built into the site's system, I don't have an example - have not gotten around to doing a good template for them. I've put a link to the site's directory and a completed bio as examples. Note: It's one of my bios so it is very long. I have memory issues so have to have dates and whatnot written down.

Our Character Directory

Example of Completed Bio

We are in the process of rebooting our swords and sorcery roleplay. Because characters can have magical powers and abilities, the bios will be more involved.

How are the applications used on our sites? I think the terminology doesn't fit what we use them for. In my mind, an application means you are applying for something and must be approved to receive it (a job, legal aid, etc.). We have approvals because that is the terminology, however, the admin mainly just look over the profile to make sure it lines up with the site's lore, hasn't presumed relationships to other characters, how the character fits in the overall story, etc. We really don't care how much anyone writes on their character, just the quality of information they've given.

Peace of mind? LOL

Honestly, I war with the whole bio/application/profile thing daily. I feel they are long and somewhat cumbersome. On the other hand, we do not require shippers, plotters, music, videos, etc. So the character's profile tells the other roleplayers what they need to know to write with and plot with each other.

At the swords and sorcery site, the profile/application will also help keep the playing field fair when it comes to powers and abilities.

Another strength is that we do not expect the profile to spring forth fully formed. Our profiles are considered living documents that we update as events occur to us and as the character grows and develops. 

This might be misguided, but we also feel that if someone puts some skin in the game (i.e. a bit of hard work on a profile), they might be more invested? More likely to help with plotting, planning and engagement with the community...at least, so far, that's been our experience.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Oops! Sorry I tend to go off on a tangent... >.> probably should have used your questions. I touched briefly but answered the questions for you. 😄

Yes

If yes, what kind?

Our leans toward more traditional.

Character profile/app - https://keepersmark.jcink.net/index.php?showuser=40
OOC profile/app - https://keepersmark.jcink.net/index.php?showuser=1

Applications/profiles on Marked are purely used as reference. Plotting generally takes place in plotters (if a member wants them, not everyone does) or in discord. We only show active accounts in play on our member list, so that in a way is an appropriate index of characters and we generally trade links to profiles if someone can't find a character. But profiles serve no other purpose other than being a reference for everyone. 

Traditional works for us because it makes information about a character easy to find for inquiring minds. There is no added clutter to sift through. We save the story telling and creativity for the fun part, role play. Keeping everything the same makes it easier for us to ask and expect the same from everyone and makes the whole application process a lot more straightforward. I view a profile or application as a way to map a character out and help staff know if certain parts of lore are understood.  

This ought to be purely from a staffers perspective!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• Operations Mod

No

If not, why not?

They're largely unnecessary, and don't provide information that is accurate in the long term. 

Applications are the first road/stumbling block for members looking to join, and one of the most common reasons players never actually get involved.  They take up a lot of time to complete, and no matter how good a staff team is the approval process is arbitrary. Furthermore, they put pressure on staff, especially small teams. If I'm out of town and my mod is sick then I've lost a player because most people won't stick around if it takes more than 24 hours for an app to be approved. 

If yes, what kind?

N/A, but we do allow our players the option of a free form profile.

N/A but here is an example of our profile option.

Eliminates wait time and players get to focus on what they actually want to and enjoy writing. Which is the whole point of RP. It also allows players to update information freely and compensate for character development over time. 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Yes

If not, why not?

N/A

N/A

If yes, what kind?

We have three app styles. One has about forty or fifty fields (likes, dislikes, boxers or briefs, glasses or contacts, thoughts on love, thoughts on children, and son on). One has fields on the side for 'quick stats' like age, name, species, with freeform for personality and history. The third only has a field for OOC info, and the rest is completely freeform. 

The three app templates can be found here. They're moved to our subforum for accepted applications with an acceptance message. Then a link is posted in the Discord's announcements channel with a short description of the character. Filling out the miniprofile is part of the claims system on our site, and that includes a link to the app. 

It allows people to pretty much do whatever kind of app they like, besides shipper. If they want to have a bunch of fields to fill out, they can do that. If they want to frame their app as an interview or journal entry or whatever, they can do that. All apps are held to the same standard, which I don't think is very high. At least half a dozen positive traits, half a dozen negative traits, and an outline of their history. Characters with powers are also required to have a thorough explanation of the limits and abilities. Players can go as above and beyond as they like from there, but it's not necessary. Roleplay is writing, and writing is diverse and individualistic. I think our app style also keeps us from excluding players that only like long apps, or only like freestyle apps. 

Yes, but they are optional.

If not, why not?

The playstyle of the site is very freeform and loose members are able to do a lot without staff vetting everything, but we also recognize that players often like to have apps for their own or other's refrence

I see appless as making it easier to create named npc characters minor ocs or guest stars that aren't going to get the same attention as a main ocs. I feel like this makes rp more spontaneous and organic

If yes, what kind?

freeform

we have a bios board that includes a bare basics app template that folks can use. folks are not required to use it, and make apps on their own pace if they feel like they need them. Bios are often used for reference in plotting as a way to get to know characters and brainstorm plots, but aren't actually responded to in their threads,

Folks can move at their own place. those who like apps or feel like they need one, can make one, and those who need more time can have that time without forfeiting the ability to jump in and play.

Edited by Kazetatsu

Yes and no. xD

If not, why not? What is the strength in going appless?

We require a profile to be submitted for each character. That doesn't include NPCs and minor recurring characters and stuff, and how players choose to interpret that is up to them! Like, I play some minor named characters who are important to my characters and plots, but they're not like...main characters. So I don't submit profiles for them because it's not their story I'm choosing to tell. They're more just narrative devices. So how players wanna define that for themselves is up to them, and they don't have to join every character if that character feels minor to them.

When they do submit a character, they can fill out as much or as little as they want. Wanna slap a name down and call it good? You're golden. Wanna write a 10k profile? Sure! Edit as you please. Submit that profile at whatever level of completion you want and consider yourself automatically accepted. Bam!

The strength in this, IMO, is that it is flexible and caters to all different creative processes instead of allowing for only one. Some people create their characters by brainstorming and writing a fleshed out app, and that's what generates ideas and inspiration and helps them get to know their character. Other people, like me, can't do that. It's just how my creative process works. My characters rarely come to me as fully formed, fleshed out characters, but usually come to me as vague concepts. Sometimes I'll know what they look like, and kiiiind of who they are, but again...it's vague. Like, "Uhhh...idk she's a religious crusader of some sort". What religion? Idk. What's her personality? Beats me! Her history? Haaaa, I have no clue. But I know what she looks like and that she's some sort of religious crusader!

And for me, that's enough to get me going. Most of my characters start out that way, and once I start writing them, all the blanks start filling in post by post. Writing them is what gets my creative juices flowing, and throwing them into scenarios and having them react leads me to figuring out WHY they act the way they act.

With characters that come to me this way, trying to complete an app is hell because it just doesn't work for me. It ends up feeling forced and unnatural and every character I've tried to do this with has ended up flopping. I just can't.

Some of my characters come to me fully formed, but they're few and far between! 99% of my characters are like the aforementioned. And I have some characters I've been playing for years that I still don't know key details about, just because it's never come up in play. When it does, it'll come to me. And that's just...sorta how I roll. xD

Thus, I run my games this way! It's been like that for 18 years and it's never been an issue.

So I say yes, we have an app because...we have a form to fill out. But also no, because there's no acceptance or review process or anything, and also you don't even have to use our profile. It's there for convenience, but use whatever you want.

Our character directory is here, and our profile template is right here! It's super basic. xD

Edited by Viscount Rhi-Rhi

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

Yes

If yes, what kind?

Profiles

https://www.thedastimelines.com/forums/index.php?threads/fergus-cousland.142/

It includes basic statistical information, like birthdate, class, occupation, and then a little more in depth information such as appearance, skills, personality, and backstory.

Overall it is used as a reference point for where those characters are, what they are capable of at the time of creation, and what to expect personality/beliefs-wise when interacting with the character. It also helps determine if a player understands the lore of the site and the game it's based on.

I believe it's strength lies in grounding the character in the lore of the world through the backstory. It also has a malleable skill system, which while at times it is a little clunky, gives characters a chance to customize without being too restrictive on creative ideas while in play.

Yes

If yes, what kind?

Short

The application on my site is a short app.  It includes a picture of the character's face claim as well as the basic info on the character; Name, Age, Occupation/Grade/Breed (the last one is because we allow horse characters as well as people), Member Group and name of Face Claim.  We actually have one for people and one for horses.  The app is pretty much just used to sort characters.

I believe that character development is less restricted with a short app like the one on my site.  New things are learned about characters easier.  It also takes way less time to fill out and you can get to threading faster.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

Yes

If yes, what kind?

I guess it's kind of a hybrid? The largest section is Freeform though

There is a basic stats section (name, age, faction, DOB, etc) and what I call a Quick Reference, which is basically small bullet points of the most important details people would need to know to plot with the character.

The next section is powers and skills, as this is a superhero site.

The third section is the Freeform section.

The last section is an RP sample (only required for the first character) and player info.

http://xtremis.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=11

Approved apps are then sorted by member group. Plotting is not done in the app threads.

I think it covers all the important information without having a lot of extraneous fields. I've never been a fan of things like lists of likes/dislikes/fears/etc. so my goal with this app was to keep things pared down to just what the staff and other players need to know. Anything more can be explored through development boards or in threads.

image.png.f86e26073cdaafb73587b2b54a3de1f2.png

I prefer shipper apps because it’s less work for the admin and the members. Once the app is approved, I just move it to shippers, saving members from having to post one.

48B2BDDB-40A9-4752-9E3F-C4378F7CA7CF.jpeg

• 2 months later...

No.

If not, why not?

I like to think that not everyone has every single detail planned out for their character. 

Your character can be built over time, kind of like in a tabletop game where they grow and develop with each twist and turn.  

If yes, what kind?

(When I do use them I love freeform applications that don't require a heavy amount of thinking.)

Right now, I simply have a biography section in the main profile on JCINK.

There's no need to look at an application AND a profile.  It's all so redundant to me (sometimes).

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1