what forums are important in an rpg?

fruity20

I'm just starting out with making my rp forum but i'm not sure what threads i should make on there.

I'm going to be totally honest, this is so subjective that no one is going to really be able to answer it for you.

It depends very heavily on what kind of rp you're creating and how you intend to run it - does it have a system? how does character creation work? do you have an application process?

These are all questions you should be asking yourself, possibly before you even begin to create a board. Beyond that, consider rps you have joined and what kind of sets up they have.

• Agree 2

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

• Operations Mod

I would venture that the only boards any rp site absolutely has to have are Information (Rules/Plot and Species/Faction info), Character Profiles (if required, but still doesn't hurt to give players the option to create one even if they're not), Plotting, and of course the actual RP locations in the world. 

Depending on your game mechanics an Announcement board for site/plot events is often useful. 

Out of Character boards are sometimes useful, but with Discord servers being so popular they don't get used much these days. I create these as requested by players, that way they get used - things like a Game board or an Art board for members to share and display what they've created. 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

• Admin

I agree with the above. There is no formula to making a great site. Really its all about dedication. It also depends on the software you're using and more.

So good things to ask yourself is, "What do I want to accomplish? What will guests need in order to understand my site?" What a site does is organize these things and get them lined up for completing it and getting others involved.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

it really depends on the site, but upon starting out I go with the idea that less is more. I say this for two reasons: one it makes your site more compact especially if the membership is small, your site will look more active if you have many threads in a few boards, rather than many boards with one or two threads each. two: it allows your site to grow based on needs of the community as they arise. if a topic or setting gets enough threads to merit a board of its own, you know that board will get used.

ooc boards and threads usually have a few staples, a guide section for all the basics of the site, a board for bios, one for plotters, and/or wanted ads, and one for advertising to and from other sites.  Other areas can be created based on need. for example, if your community likes forum games, you might have a games board. if your community is artistic, you might have an art board, or you might just have a kitchen sink anything goes board until you know what kind of community you have.

As for ic boards, there may not be enough going on for even 5 groups or locations to start with. Depending on your rp, you might even be able to make due with only two, one for 'home' and one for 'the outside world. As you plan your site and plot with members, you'll figure out if you need a board for each group in the rp, for each major location, or some other system to organize your world.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would say above all rules, setting or plot, announcements, member groups, canons if you have any, application thread, a member directory, face claim, and other claims. These I feel are most important on any forum.

48B2BDDB-40A9-4752-9E3F-C4378F7CA7CF.jpeg