Shamelessly aesthetic - what are your favorite visual tropes for settings?

Deep Sea

Let me be honest - sometimes I set up a story in a particular genre or with a certain look just because I like the way it fuckin' looks. This is why I love anime-inspired fantasy roleplays, because I love love LOVE a cast of characters who are buxom women with comically oversized weapons, and bishounen princes with long coats and flurries of rose petals.

How about you? What are the kinds of RPs you'll join just because you love the look? What are those specific looks?

• Like 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 2

Glub glub.

Anything blended with glittery/magical visuals is a definite weak spot for me aha. One of my favorite videos of all time has this aesthetic!

8a2dfa2e7feda1bfd25900dc04a3433c.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I like the fun fantasy aesthetic of games like Boy Band Road Trip simulator (FFXV) or the Tales of games. Like there are cars and shit but cool monsters running around and characters can wear cool fantasy rogue outfits. That's my jam.

• Fuck Yeah! 2

Reality is an illusion. 

I've always liked anime school aesthetics. Put some moe schoolgirls on a banner and I'd be tempted to at least drop in to take a look. Really, anime school uniforms have come a long way, from mostly-generic serafuku back in the 1980's through 1990's, and now you'd be hard-pressed to find a school setting anime whose uniforms can be mistaken as coming from another series.

I can't say that I have a must-join aesthetic for site skinning,  but aesthetics do have a make it or break it role on sites that have staff-made or member-made species and races. I love digital but hand-drawn designs that have a professional or finished quality to them, that are unique enough that I couldn't have made something similar easily, yet diverse enough that I could design my own now that I know about the race. If the creator makes them open that's another plus so that I can make my own without jumping through too many hoops. These often have a unique charm to them, that at least prompts me to consider the site they come from further.