Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deep Sea

Plotting is hard, please do my job for me

Okay, so the title is a little tongue in cheek, but not entirely.

I have an issue as a game master, and that is plotting. I'm actually quite terrible at creating succinct, tangible conflicts. I can make worlds, set up pawns, give the players goals.... but I can't seem to actually come up with plots. Whoever said I was a good English student was a liar.

First of all, how the hell would you guys personally define a plot, and what are some of your examples?

Second of all, given my RP concept so far, what would you suggest as possible plots? The premise is that the gods of a generic high fantasy world have all seemingly self-destructed, and the player characters are a variety of souls made immortal and selected to replace the pantheon to fill the void. The overall goal is for the characters to come into their new almighty powers, and figure out how to convince the unwashed masses that they are gods.

• Fuck Yeah! 2

4 minutes ago, Deep Sea said:

I can make worlds, set up pawns, give the players goals.... but I can't seem to actually come up with plots

I totally feel you there. Or rather I'm not sure how to make plots that are good for RPs. Like, I can easily make them for something that isn't an RP, like a VN, but it's much harder if you have to take RPers into consideration.

• Cheers 1

@Deep Sea Like @Gota, I understand entirely!

Fortunately, my sites are small and we all leap in and kick around plots. I am good at coming up with a core idea but horrible at execution. What I usually do is keep a plot document on the site and update it with plot points that forwards the story. It is up to the players to pick one and write it out. The plot points do not specifically say who or how it needs to be played, just X must be accomplished for the next action to occur.

Our fantasy site runs a bit differently. My co-creator there is a magnificent storyteller and we work well together. Usually, I come up with the plot idea and she expands on it, setting up the backstory. We work off a hidden document and use our characters to lead or present a plot point that's open for everyone to leap on and resolve.

The end result is that we do manage to keep our stories moving forward while leaving room for roleplayer creativity and participation.

• Great Idea 1

@Deep Sea I believe you and I have the same problem lmao. 

I've noticed that the way my particular world is set up, that most of the meat and potatoes of the DRIVING force with the plot/world/lore is a requirement for individual characters to drive things in one direction or another with their personal plots. It's getting people to drive their own character's story that I have the most trouble with: I can sub-contextually guide them to new worldplot related conflicts rather easily if they give me something to work with ICly. 

• Love 1

So I love to plot and create plots and to push plots etc. Plots, by all means, are the driving force of the story. So, for the most part you all have it you just need the people to move forward with them. Sometimes that's easier said than other times.

My recommendations:

Wanted Ads/Adoptables/Ideas

Create a mini-plot to get otherwise unlikely people to meet (huge party where someone important gets killed/hurt/maimed/attempted assassination/kidnapping/etc) give them a purpose. If it's not a party go for a cataclysmic event, or get people stuck in a room. Force people together in some way.

So for yours @Deep Sea create and use one of your void people to cause havoc, to force sides, convert people. Don't force the characters to come to the conflict, make the conflict go to the characters. If you don't want to play that character than see if you can get someone to fill that character.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Morrigan said:

So for yours @Deep Sea create and use one of your void people to cause havoc, to force sides, convert people. Don't force the characters to come to the conflict, make the conflict go to the characters. If you don't want to play that character than see if you can get someone to fill that character.

I recently did this with a Sea Siren baddy to give one of my Arcing Plots some in-play crumbs. So far its working out okay, instead of being a full-on one shot villain it looks like she's gaining cohorts in her schemes, which will (hopefully) make for more epic moves in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1