Things I stress about as an admin...

Morrigan

Hope nobody notices I'm stressed af and my perkiness is the "help I'm dying inside" sort. cccc:

• Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 2

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• 2 weeks later...

Anxiety. I mean the kind that hits you and you can’t even look at the words, but you have to. I tend to lean toward procrastination when this happens, and that doesn’t help anyone. 

• Preach it! 3

• 3 weeks later...

My activity or lack thereof. I can wallow in a hole for an exceptionally long period of time and each time I'm so thankful for my two offsiders who continue on like nothing is amiss. And I'm thankful for my community who are used to my strange work schedule and hot and cold activity flows. 

Current stress is getting some traffic flow across the site.

• Preach it! 1

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
1396128257_Bloodlinespaidad.png.d09a675bc97e605f48b34846ff6d666c.png

1. Will people want to join? Will it be a tumbleweed? Have I advertised enough to get a new member? Will it fail at the first opener week hurdle?

2. Am I going to have to pull an AC notice up? How is member traffic flow right now? Is it just a slow week, yes it might be don't panic.

3. Am I being tough enough, too tough, do I sound bitchy or can I read a tone in this? FFS stop worrying about people reading hidden tones ffs. 

4. Is the lore clear enough, do I need more lore I have X pages already is that too much or not enough?

5. Do I have any skin edits to make, did I forget something?

6. Will anyone like my new character? Will I get any fun plots or are people to scared to approach me just because i'm the site admin?

Edited by Lady Croft
  • Preach it! 3

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Is the update too long? Is it not long enough? 

Are people going to leave because I'm going to keep enforcing the no plotting in chat rules? Will the people who confided in  feeling left out actually get  a chance to be included in chat/plotting now that we have those rules?

Also, these two things resonated like crazy for me! Almost a year later and I still stress about these things at least once a week. 

On 3/4/2020 at 4:18 AM, Lady Croft said:

3. Am I being tough enough, too tough, do I sound bitchy or can I read a tone in this? FFS stop worrying about people reading hidden tones ffs. 

6. Will anyone like my new character? Will I get any fun plots or are people to scared to approach me just because i'm the site admin?

Equitate RP

Real Life Equestrian / No WC / No ACs / Jcink Premium (18+)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 5:08 AM, JD Hart said:

^^ This.

I used to find it so hard to explain restrictions and used to be too leniant in bending the lore of the site to accommodate new members because I was terrified people wouldn't stick around if they couldn't rp *exactly* what they wanted to rp. Now I get frustrated if they leave because of that but I don't bend so much. I work with what the site's lore allows and work out as many different plot options for them as I can that meet what they're interested in doing. If they aren't willing to meet me half way then I have to say no. It's really hard. But we have nearly 70 members now so I have more confidence that what I'm doing is right and I feel more able to say - "sorry, it's a no, because if I change XY and Z it's actually going to cause a problem in the lore for all these other members..." I feel like I'm more able to stand my ground because I'm standing it *for* other people, not just because I'm being an admin on a power trip (which I'm always worried people will think).

SAME! It's definitely a balance act for sure. It's almost like being a supervisor, knowing when to take and leave things. Picky our battles wisely. I try to be firm but fair. I am sure to open and honest when appropriate. I let me expectations be known and handle issues/concerns/drama in private rather than letting it spill into the chat/board.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping myself and my characters available and accessible to everyone, without overloading myself, and without agreeing to things that really just don't fit (either for my personal plots, or for the overall direction of the site). 

spacer.png

Celebrating 3 wonderful years!

Usually things like "am I being an insufferable dickbag for enforcing this/telling people to change things that don't fit/saying no?" or "is that header 1px too big?" or... I mean, honestly, everything. The biggest one is that I stress over feeling like I need to do a ton of work so my staff don't get mad at me for doing nothing, which means I do everything, and then I stress that I've given staff nothing to do so they're either gonna get complacent/lazy or get mad at me somehow.

• Love 1

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

I always worry about how involved to make the others on the site's events/canon spots, etc. It's a tricky balance because without enough structure, things will either devolve into a chaotic mess or fizzle out since nothing of value is happening, but with too much control, the members will feel inconsequential. I think it all depends on the site, but I worry about this type of thing a lot.

• 11 months later...

Always trying to make sure people know that they can approach staff as people. That staff are trustworthy and patient - and that members know our biggest goal is to keep lore consistent and the site easy to play in, and of course - to keep the community kind and safe. My biggest fear is my presence as staff inflicting anxiety or apprehension on someone just because I'm staff. Like, I've BEEN THERE as a member, and sometimes it genuinely is impossible to mitigate ... but man I do not want someone thinking they have to go out of their way to impress or interact with me in a certain way just because I'm managing a community. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

sitead-06.png

VISIT STRANGE WAYS

JUST OPENED MARCH 26TH, 2021 | ORIGINAL PREMISE | 18+ | NO WC
MODERN SUPERNATURAL | JCINK PREMIUM | PACIFIC NORTHWEST

Currently it is my new site. It is successful in that all the members are happy and writing but I would like to invite more in to join us. So it is my current point of stress. Also it has been a busy month for me and I haven't been able to be on as much. I have an amazing staff that can handle anything but I always feel like I'm wrong for taking time away (my own head does this to me).

spacer.pngDecadence

Lately it's been trying to figure out how to get the current members to understand that activity is a thing potential new players would like to see when the swing by. How to engage in discord...what's TOO friendly, what's NOT friendly enough. How can we persuade you to join us and stick around? How can it be this troublesome to find dedicated players that want to stick around and write and plot.

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• 3 weeks later...

I always think I need better skins!!

But other than that- after ten plus years our admins ( me included) really dont stress much. We carefully put checks and balances in to take care of any issues that might arrive. We keep communication clear and we understand that all stories, typists, and forums have their highs and lows. We just got better at riding both and I think that takes time.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png