Things I stress about as an admin...

Morrigan

My biggest fear is that being an admin is going to snuff out my muse for the site. I've had this happen in other places where I get so wrapped up in doing the admin work that when it comes time to post I'm just...spent. I'm ready to get off the site and not have to look at it for a while. I really don't want that to happen to me again, which is why I've made my current site so lax. I'm just trying to save myself haha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 8:42 AM, Myarelli said:

My biggest fear is that being an admin is going to snuff out my muse for the site. I've had this happen in other places where I get so wrapped up in doing the admin work that when it comes time to post I'm just...spent. I'm ready to get off the site and not have to look at it for a while. I really don't want that to happen to me again, which is why I've made my current site so lax. I'm just trying to save myself haha

I so feel that! I'm trying to employ the same strategy; chill rules, chill atmosphere = chill me. Working so far, when I don't obsess too much over things that is lol.

• Love 1
user posted image

I stress about finding the “golden balance” between being too strict and being too lax. I sometimes feel like it’s a fine line.

I understand and accept that as an Admin, it’s impossible to make everyone happy, every time but — finding that medium that invites compromise is a personal struggle for me.

• Like 1

Lately, I stress about not being a huge fan of having a site discord. I feel like a lot of people skip us over because of it but I also can't justify having one when myself and my co-admin rarely used the ones we had for past forums. What's worse, having one that nobody talks in anyway or not having one? To me, it just seems easier not to deal with it.

• Agree 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• Contributions Mod

@HuskerdustYou have your answer. It didn't work when you had one. It also isn't good for those with anxiety disorders. There are plenty out there where it isn't a deal breaker or even an asset and you'll attract them.

My own worry as an admin is if my guidebook is okay and if I phrased things the right way. I've found many rules that aren't bad in of themselves but the tone based on the other words. Since so many have been burned by admins, I think about phrasing a lot. I also feel like I'm coaxing scared kittens sometimes. Just because abuse is so common.

Another worry I have is the skin. I like it just fine. It's a supped up basic board. It bucks pretty much all the Jcink trends I don't like. It certainly stands out. I hope in a good way. Still I am concerned that so many want the design I think is bad or a copy of a copy. If I were to follow said trends it would cause me physical pain from my migraines. I have my answer, but I'm still nervous. So we're in similar boats, @Huskerdust.

• Preach it! 1

True. A lot of people make it sound like it'll break your ability to have a community but there was a time before discord and tbh I feel like I was much closer to people back then!

I worry with skins too. I bit the bullet and paid for a couple of premades for my sites so they would be more modern. I can code my own skins and I have but I just haven't had the time for it these days.

Another thing I stress about is the fact that apparently we have a stalker friend that keeps making alts and joining our forum. I don't know this FOR sure but my co-admin is convinced. I trust her but I also fear she's going to end up banning legit members. 😧

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, Huskerdust said:

there was a time before discord and tbh I feel like I was much closer to people back then!

I am more or less in agreement there. I just recently left my server that was meant to be attached to the site and was only designed to be for new users or unregistered users who wanted to ask questions before joining. I had invited friends and acquaintances that were more or less interested in some way to keep me company while I worked on it and picked their brains for ideas, but when it came down to it...no one really participated. 80% of the users were offline/lurking/antisocial. I feel like Discord was great for what it was originally intended and naturally it blew up into what it is now, but I don't think it's for everything. I've been in Discord RPs and it was hard for me because I began my RP career in a chat room and graduated to a forum was a huge game changer for me. Going back to chat RP was really hard.

Why accept an invitation to an RP Forum oriented server if you're not even going to participate? I'd rather you just stay out of my server and DM me when you're up for conversation(s). I've lost more friends/acquaintances since joining Discord than I have with something like Skype. In fact, I was super resistant to joining Discord for a long, long time. I like the structure of it and what I can do with it. But I also feel very alienated from people on it.

As I work on my forum, I crave interaction, enthusiasm, brainstorming, ideas--good and bad, some kind of participation to the site as a whole, not just individual characters. What you do with your characters on your own time is your business, but I want input for the site as a whole. And I just wasn't getting that. People looovveedd talking about their characters--and I do too. It just got really old for me, fast.

I'm worried that things like Discord RP will replace Forum RPs altogether because people think there's too much effort into participating in a forum RP. There's this "pressure" to "perform" and write novels when that's really not even necessary to do. Do I want more than two or three sentences? Absolutely. But I don't need you to write a dissertation just because that's what I look like I do. I like to write, but I don't expect everyone to match my energy or enthusiasm. I know how to adjust accordingly if need be.

I think we've entered an age of Instant Gratification and maybe it's a generational thing?? I dunno. The people who RP'd before me were very much into Forum and Chat RP. The generations after me would rather Chat RP. Some of the younger folks in my server said they don't even have a computer or laptop--they operate 100% off their phones, so I can see how doing forum RP is not ideal for them and chat RP is more convenient.

I just miss feeling like I had an interactive, present, participating community that I was actually close to.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Tlaloc, my love...

• 3 months later...

The only fear I have is a toxic troll I have. Kind of person that will see I got a site up, stalk it for weeks then slowly start editing their site's coding to reflect or out right steal from my to put on theirs then run off to everywhere and anywhere to claim theft and blah blah victim blah blah pity me. This person does it because they hate the fact that when I open a site its instantly more popular than their own and designed/coded better. Hoping all that work will kill it which it eventually does since some places will stop me from advertising on them even WHEN I prove this troll's claims wrong. It eventually even kills my muse for it which is a shame. I spent anywhere from two or three months making a skin and almost the same making lore of adapting it to my chosen setting if I make a fandom site. A lot of work goes into it and people are excited to come on when it opens. Other than that, my sites tend to go very smoothly and well. The community I build is always great, no drama, and just fun time posting and chit chatting.

Edited by Matchlessfalcon

• 3 weeks later...

I stress about lurkers a little bit...I know I shouldn't, but I do. I stress about people not being motivated to start their own rps and always depending on admin to hand hold them through everything. I'm currently stressed about which type of board to use while we work on reformatting our roleplays into play by post format...I was going to go with jcink, but I have my own site, and I'm used to SMF - although when I say I'm used to it, I honestly have not explored anything it's capable of and had no idea how pretty you could make them! Now that I've seen a couple of smf forums here that have been prettied up, I'm stressed again because..should I just go with smf??  Should I try myBB?  I'm so bad at coding and jcink seems so easy and popular, but it feels counter-intuiative to not continue to utilise my own hosting service and just figure out how to pretty things up. Uggghhh. lmao! 

I also stress about ooc drama, and while I have a really good core group of players, there's always been newcomers come in who start drama and I'm really bad at confrontation so..yeah. I stress about a lot of things!!

"To survive, you must tell stories" - Umberto Eco

• 2 months later...

Hope is my stress. I hope I'll get good players, hope they'll like the lore, hope they'll stay. Those hopes become my stress. Will I get good players or a revolving door is toxicity? How do i keep the toxic players away? How do I entice good players to come and stay? Is my discord a fun and "happenin" place? Do people feel comfortable and are having fun? Will my lore get coitized? Is it long enough? Too long? Enough details? Too many details? Yeah. I'm a little ball of stress over here. But I do love it at the end of the day. 

So I took a lot of time off from my sites and adminning because I had a chaotic real life. I haunted don't get me wrong and my staff handled things great. When I came back though I found the stresses that I had before that drove me crazy, I don't have anymore. I let them go. 

We have a great bunch and there isn't any stress or drama. We all don't write as much as we used to but we all have real lives. I don't advertise as much because I lost so much time to doing it that I didn't have enough left in the tank to actually write. I don't stress skins because I'm not a coder. I've been learning enough to get by. I'm here for the writing and not the pretty. I do have a pretty but honestly it is easy to change when I want and it functions. I love it. If it's not someone else's cup of tea ah well I drink coffee. I am not going to spending time that takes away my time from what I enjoy. If someone stumbles into our corner of the world, great. Jump right on in. For now though I'm better off without the stress, bleeding, crying, and sometimes frantic mess I turned into. I admin when I need to and make the not so easy decisions. For the most part though our place is just fine and I need to stop stressing (obsessing) on making it some great monument. So now my only stress is getting myself back in gear to enjoy writing and kicking the rust off.

Something about the Discord RPs, I was a also one that went from chat to forum and learned to love it. Discord Rps aren't very much different than the chat room world. They're great for right now and especially the younger folks coming into online rp (no matter its genre). It will have its time as the new shiny. We've all (well most of us anyway) have seen the ebb and flow of the tides. Eventually some will figure out you can do both. Though Discord rp like many chatrooms means you have to be there 24/7 or have FOMO. I don't miss that at all. I still love forums and if that makes someone happy to do, go them. I'm not stressing what others do or don't do.

spacer.pngDecadence

On 1/2/2023 at 6:55 PM, Reaper said:

Hope is my stress. I hope I'll get good players, hope they'll like the lore, hope they'll stay. Those hopes become my stress. Will I get good players or a revolving door is toxicity? How do i keep the toxic players away? How do I entice good players to come and stay? Is my discord a fun and "happenin" place? Do people feel comfortable and are having fun? Will my lore get coitized? Is it long enough? Too long? Enough details? Too many details? Yeah. I'm a little ball of stress over here. But I do love it at the end of the day. 

I feel this 100%!!!!

• 1 year later...

Lately I've stressed about membership. For a couple of months after I opened the site, it really picked up and was fun and becoming pretty popular - then all of a sudden people were falling off. I've always preached an understanding of how busy real life can be (I'm a big perp of this too, getting married this year and starting a new job has taken a lot of my time), but it scares me that a lot of our membership has really dropped off, and it just makes me wonder if there's even any interest for it anymore. I have a few members who have clearly stuck around and want to get back into it too, but I don't know. It makes me nervous. I love my site and I love the characters I've developed, and I want to keep it going. I really miss the people who have stepped out because they were the ones who really helped the site blossom.

• Like 1

OH-sister-site-affiliate-link.png

our homeland - a wild horse rpg

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest fear is putting a lot of work into yet another site, and it dying all over again. i love writing lore and developing things within the rp. but i always seem to get two members who post a lot, and plot with one another, then leave and its like the site dies when they leave. i try to push activity and give things to do, but no matter how much i push and pull nothing happens. it makes me feel like i made everything for nothing, only for it to just sit offline and collect dust. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Other than being scared of being the one to "lose the farm", it's stressing about the possibility of getting yelled at by rp directory/advertising mods for posting ads wrong. I seriously sweat over this.

• Agree 1