[Solved] Code for a news ticker/scroll.

Blue Ember

I am looking for a code/ way to place a news ticker beneath the header or top bar on a site. To be used to scroll news & latest updates, welcome new members etc. Anyone able to help with this? I did try searching for a code, as I was sure I used to have one. But haven't been able to track one down. 

I think what you're looking for is the non-standard Marquee element.  It works on every browser, as far as I can tell. It is 'non-standard', so it could theoretically break something, but I haven't seen it break before. It may also end up removed, theoretically, someday, but I doubt it.  Marquees can scroll horizontally, vertically, they can even bounce.  

Example:

<html>
  <head>
    <title>Title of the document</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <style> 
      marquee {
        width: 100%;
        padding: 10px 0;
        background-color: lightblue;
      }
    </style>
    <marquee direction="scroll">A scrolling text created with HTML Marquee element and styled with CSS properties to have a blue background and some padding.</marquee>
  </body>
</html>

May only be half the solution, if you want it to update dynamically, but it's a place to start!

Edited by Bro

Thanks! xD It's certainly a place to start. Just tried it out, & for the most part it is working & doing what I want, though it is causing a problem with the side bar.

You might want to fiddle with the width settings and such, or try to put it under a <div> with the sizing on it. Might help! I can't really give any more specific advice without seeing it.  Good luck!

Sorry to belatedly jump all over this - the reason for Iso's alternative is because the marquee element is obselete and may not be supported in future browser updates. I think it may not render correctly in safari as is?

You can read about it here.

Using css or jquery is the web standard compliant way to achieve this effect (and wouldn't it such kind if the next browser update meant your thing no longer scrolls!) If you want horizontally scrolling text you can also try this code.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I also totally just realized I tagged the wrong person. Sorry @Bro meant to tag @Fanged Wonder, me plus mobile attempts equal sucky. Lol!

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

20 hours ago, Kit the Human said:

Sorry to belatedly jump all over this - the reason for Iso's alternative is because the marquee element is obselete and may not be supported in future browser updates. I think it may not render correctly in safari as is?

You can read about it here.

Using css or jquery is the web standard compliant way to achieve this effect (and wouldn't it such kind if the next browser update meant your thing no longer scrolls!) If you want horizontally scrolling text you can also try this code.

(and @isoldehn, for that matter) 

Good catches! I actually linked that link you have there, Kit. That's why I mentioned it being "non-standard". I don't know anything about it not working in safari (never touched it), but I agree that it's much better to have a css hand-made one.  I use a <marquee> on our site just because it's simpler than coding one in and I'm very lazy and good at hoping that they don't actually stop letting marquees do their thing. XD

EDIT: Marquee still seems to work fine in safari, at least according to https://www.browserling.com/. However, definitely better to use the hard-coded one in almost every case!

Edited by Bro
  • Love 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Bro said:

EDIT: Marquee still seems to work fine in safari, at least according to https://www.browserling.com/. However, definitely better to use the hard-coded one in almost every case!

Sites will say that it works but the effects/appearance/etc can be broken regardless. Additionally mobile browsers are more likely to drop the support first which is often where you'll see issues.

Safari and Opera tend to be the ones that have the hardest time obeying deprecated items. They even make some things that are considered web-standard look weird depending on how it's implemented. It's always best to go with something that is not considered deprecated for those reasons. Safari is the standard browser on any Mac or iTechnology item and should always be considered a high priority when developing websites.

• Like 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.