Pushy member

Anonymous

I've recently invited a person who was both a friend and member on my site back. It had been years, ended on a bad note and we talked things over. Things were good, and they were welcomed back. Recently I told them about a site upgrade and them (along with another member) began to make passive aggressive comments about staff activity. Before blatantly asking and saying that activity on the old site should increase first. It was a shock and was quite disappointing because it was badgering. Another admin and I politely told them that RL comes first, we have been busy and that we have been doing our best. Along with feeling free to IM us if they had any concerns.  The members posted passive aggressive comments in the general channel of the site discord, and IMed me about their concerns. 

I cannot escape the feeling that their concern was more backhanded than intended to be helpful. A few times the member has made passive aggressive comments about things not being done instantly or to their liking. 

I'm not sure how to handle this situation. I want members to be able to approach if they  are having issues but not feel badgered or pressured by this member. 

Any ideas or thoughts? 

Anonymous poster hash: 4bbf9...bc5

While I do very much agree with Deep Sea here, if you are not in the mood or feel inclined to be as forward as that you can always try to approach the situation with a different head. As an admin you should always be prepared to strike thunder, as sometimes it is much needed, but if you prefer to do the knock knock a few times more before running head long into the possibility of back fire from that quote above you could also try something along the lines of: "I'm doing my best with what I have. It seems this isn't up to your standards. Since that's the case, do you have anything you would like to share that you think could rectify this situation? Anything we could do better on our part?"

From here depending on their response you will see a) if the reasons they are doing this are justified with an actual reasoning or b) if they will bullshit their way through that with another attention seeking mechanism. If the later I do say you remove them from the site. It sounds you have already given this person a second chance and they are proving why that second chance was not worth giving.

• Agree 3

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

Admin exist to facilitate a fun environment to play. It is not your sole responsibility to create fun and I agree with the others here. You don't have to be *active* on the forum for people to write awesome plots and have fun but you do need to say something.

I would say something to them, either publicly or privately in a similar fashion to the above. I've cracked down on passive aggressive users before by deleting their comments and confronting them privately that I don't appreciate the way they speak about me nor the other staff. In my experience, more often than not, people that get confronted leave politely on their own accord. So as long as you don't let these people walk all over you they won't affect the other players much.

Most players like to play, they don't like to hear complaints and they don't like to be forced to worry. The world is full of things that keep us away from our keyboards and our playtime, but this is just a game. Never let anyone make you feel guilty for their imagined standards of play and just remind your players that you're human and that they are more than welcome to come up with awesome ways to engage one another while you're busy.

• Agree 2
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

Yeah, no. This deserves confrontation. I agree with calling them out in public, so that way everyone can see. If you just release a newsletter that's like 'this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated', that wouldn't affect your community in a way that would make it more fun.

I've been living with someone who can't seem to figure out how daily chores work. That's where I'm coming from when I say I wouldn't personally bother with asking for their opinion on how to do better. I can guess right now that if there were previous issues with this person, that if they don't respect your real life or personal needs, and they think being passive-aggressive is an okay way to express themselves on your site, any suggestions they give you will be useless. They will either continue to place unrealistic standards on you, jump at the chance to 'take charge', or deflect the idea that their behaviour is problematic in the first place.

Eh, forgive my projecting. I agree with Deep Sea. Make it clear that if they're unhappy, they can leave. And if they refuse, let them know that the way they talk about people in public is toxic and needs to stop, no exceptions.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 3

Whoah, I was actually expecting a lot of people to disagree with me - I know that my wording is harsh, and public confrontation is generally frowned upon (after all, it's polite to address concerns privately).  Just know, Anon, that in my opinion this problem member lost the right to private confrontation when they became publicly airing their concerns being a lil shit.

And furthermore - it's no shame on you if you can't find the courage to confront this user right now. I talk big, but you're the one who's going to get all the blowback. We'll all be here to support you through that, too.

• Agree 3

Glub glub.

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

The person was passive aggressive before. When we talked things out things were going swimmingly and I have noticed a pattern of behaviour with them. Kind of like love bombing and then being distant? It's hard to explain. One of the people have been become of the most active members on the site and outwardly looks like a positive part of the community. 

Anonymous poster hash: 4bbf9...bc5

• Cringe 1

As a member, I admit I wouldn't love seeing public confrontation in a case like this (I'm sorry @Deep SeaIdo frown upon it!), but I also don't think it's the most efficient course of action. I feel like in a rp site most people are really invested into the community - they don't want to see it fail. Sometimes this means they say things that are out of place or say them in all the wrong ways, but it doesn't mean they aren't ultimately just concerned about their rp-home.

I also feel like our sites must be a community, so even though some of us are just having fun and writing and others do all the chore work and take all the responsibility, this is still not school, or work, or a place where I feel like it'd be legitimate to be scolded. In a rp site, I expect to be treated more like a friend than like a subordinate. So I'd say be friendly, and this means being open and sincere. If you think they do have a point in their concerns, just tell them "we're really doing all we can, guys, but if you have any ideas that might help please DM me!" This is honest, and deflects the subject to DMs. And if you feel they are being passive agressive, just tell them! "Hey, what you said came across as a little passive aggressive to me. Maybe it wasn't your intention at all, I know it's hard to convey tone through text! You know my DM is open to all your concerns, so please come to me anytime you feel something like this. I appreciate your help. "

I also agree with @Morriganso much. I think people sound passive aggressive all the time. I'm so scared of conveying the wrong message that I fill my texts with smiley faces and exclamation points to the point where it's absurd! The internet is a weird place for interpersonal relations, and that's only another reason to be the most open, honest and receptive we can be. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3