What Makes You Stick with a Site?

Dragon

The community. If it feels too much like a clique, or they make you feel like they don't really want new players or members...Because when I join, I want to stick around and invest time and energy into characters and plots. (which is the whole point or Rp/simming)

Have conversation, which help build the community.

Plots and character interactions. I've been upfront with most and will tell others that I'm not the best at coming up with plots, but stick with me and we can bounce those ideas around and find something we like!

Having fun, cause, like the hokey pokey...that's what its all about.

• Like 1

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

The things that matter the most to me are attention, fun, and safety. 

Attention - Do people engage with me OOC or do I get ignored? If I ask someone how they're doing, it doesn't necessarily need to turn into a lengthy thought-provoking conversation, but if I'm always ignored while everyone talks with everyone else, I won't want to stay. Also, do my characters get plots and threads? Friendly members only goes so far when my plotter, and the posts I make in other plotters, get ignored. 

Fun - Kind of self-explanatory. Is it fun? Am I excited to log in, plot, and write? Can I joke around with other members? Can I get threads where characters will be silly and mess up or is everyone focused on Serious Plot Progression? 

Safety - When someone leaves, do the remaining members wish them the best or do they bitch about that person leaving? Does staff ban sexualities or gender identities for being "too common" or "unrealistic"? Will I have to justify why my character of colour has had the opportunities they've had? Does staff crack down on bullying and harassment or do they keep giving warnings after the bully's driven people away? 

The people! And of course, my plots. 

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• 1 month later...

The biggest reason that I stick with a site is the overall story line, the possibility for my character to experience genuine character development, and I actually prefer sites that have a word count because it challenges me to be a better writer. I can write a post and get to the point without having to write out a bunch of needless prose and it took me a while to get to that state.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

1. Lovely, succinct, calm guidelines

2. Active staff who are clearly having fun

3. Quick replies to my plot requests and open threads

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

1) The community.

2) The plots.

3) I have interest in threads I'm not currently involved in.

4) The staff doesn't have rules that steadily grate on me and make me feel unsafe and unwelcome.

5) I can just enjoy writing.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling comfortable in a site is what keeps me. I could care less about skins, graphics, lore, etc.. If I can't jive with the members or the people I need to write with, then I'm leaving.

• Agree 1

ad_base.png

• 3 weeks later...

To me, its the maturity of the admins and the members that keeps me on the site. Where there's no unnecessary drama and toxic behavior.

Also, if I get to vibe with at least one person on the site, I'll keep coming back.

• Agree 3

bram stokers dracula GIF

• 3 weeks later...

People that give me a decent amount to work with so that I can easily write a reply, rather than just spitting out a few sentences and expecting that to suffice. Also, people that are welcoming OOC,  especially to new players, and don't give me the clique vibe. 

Friendly people is usually what draws me in and keeps my attention. If they are welcoming, I usually will stick around and jump in. True, I can be guarded until I get to know people, but if you're worth opening up I usually do and it pays off.

• Preach it! 1

• 1 month later...

A good admin (singular or team) + welcoming community + volleyballing posts for threads.

If I'm waiting 4+ days or more for a reply to a thread or all but one of my threads, I struggle to integrate.

I know people have lives and other interests (I do, too), but I need lots of posting, especially enough to finish and start new threads, to commit.

eff GIF

Edited by Zelkova
jAV3hKd.png

Another vote for the people/community. The stronger the connection I have with the other players, the more likely I am to plot/chat/have the craic, and the more likely I am to stay. The whole site could be falling down around us, or dying a slow death, and I'll still want to stay. Such is the power and draw of great partnerships.

• Agree 1

Join us on the FRONTIER, a brand new Star Trek RPG.

• 4 weeks later...
  • active/involved and approachable staff. Like, not just them posting and being online but being one of the members. Often they are behind this weird invisible wall like my companies upper management. That often makes me feel like being part of the community is a chore and I won't stick around a site if it's a chore.
  • Active members in my genre and writing goals and expectations.
  • Aestically pleasing and calm theme(s). If a site is gonna trigger migraines yeah I'm out.
  • Preach it! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Activity and a constantly evolving plot. The site as a whole needs to be heading somewhere for me to stick around. Oh, and writers that I have good writing chemistry with. That's a big one. 

Edited by akakios

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

• 3 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, but the number one thing that makes me stick around is how "user friendly" a site is. If it's too challenging to navigate, it's usually not worth the effort. Kind of like catching my own food! I'd never survive in the wild XD

Number two would be how active the moderators are, and if they are constantly updating the world/lore, or leaving it to pile up. I hate repetitiveness. I'd rather not read things reworded a hundred different times. 

After number two would be basically everything else that fits my personal needs. I don't write mature content, and I don't like reading it. Is that distinguished well enough for me to not stumble into anything I can't unread? I also want an established political system, so I can mess with it. If it's too easy to break, then the challenge is simply not there (I might have an odd joy in breaking systems... not sure if that's a good thing). Additionally, talking animals break it for me. As well as reading/hearing/communicating thoughts with animals. I'm a realist, even in my fantasy, I'm a realist. Yes, some animals are smart, but they cannot even begin to coherently and effectively speak the human tongue. 

The world could always use a splash more color and a tidbit more light!