What Makes You Stick with a Site?

Dragon

I like to take into account how a site actually LOOKS. The font needs to be easily readable, and if it isn't the staff need to not... pitch a fit if I ask them to make it bigger or to give me the option of a larger-font skin. I also like to see how staff interact with their members, and as I've recently learned, sometimes staff act nice but they're not really... happy with the members on their site? I tend to avoid dramatic situations OOCly. ICly, sure, gimme.

• Love 1

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

There's really nothing that a site can do or give me that will make me stay if I don't like/get along with the people that role-play/run the site. So in other words; the members.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Aliensrcool said:

There's really nothing that a site can do or give me that will make me stay if I don't like/get along with the people that role-play/run the site. So in other words; the members.

Amen. Also members + good character writing!

The community of a site is hands down my number one glue ingredient. If I am part of a healthy writing family and everyone is kind (and fun to write with), you'll never get rid of me.

• Preach it! 1

https://passingstrange.net/images/misc/passingstrangebanner.png

• 2 weeks later...

Things to do that don't necessarily involve roleplaying one on one with another person. I'm kinda shy and don't click with people right away frequently, so it's nice to have some things I can do in the meantime until I have some more confidence built up.

• Agree 1

Hello! New member extraordinare!

• 2 months later...

I think activity is a big thing. Maybe it's just me but I can't get into RPs that don't reply at least once a week, or at least have a sort of consistency; I just lose motivation really quickly because the story isn't going anywhere. I don't need them to give me a lot, but it really helps if I know when to expect their next reply. 

Another thing is staff that's friendly, and shows interest in you. I feel like if no one talks to you or you talk on a chat and people just pass you over, it makes you feel really horrible. Like, I get it when they're having a conversation already, and sometimes the chat is just super active, but sometimes it's super discouraging when sites have chats that feel like you're shouting into a void whenever you initiate conversation.

This isn't a big thing, but recently I started to feel that diversity is also super important. I've been on a couple of sites where diversity wasn't much of a thing and one of the users would say something that sounded a little problematic, and I'd feel like I was the only person who was uncomfortable with what they were saying? Sites that have staff who address this stuff/nip it at the bud, or sites where I know I'm not the only person who cares about diversity definitely get my attention a lot more. 

spacer.png

A realm of magic and mythology. A Fantasy Fairy RPG

WORLD | CREATURES | DISCORD

The members, friendly and active staff, and the friendless of a site. I have found that there are things I like in a site and things will have me living it quickly. Moving images on the main page will have me out of there so fast!

rpgam.png

• 3 weeks later...

For me it's the community and if they are willing to engage with players and make plots. I have been on a lot of site where it seems people are more concerned with doing OOC stuff or hanging out on Dev boards. That is well and good but the sites that have me stick around are the ones that are making compelling site plots, allowing players to be involved, have a community of people that like plotting and RPing and MOST OF ALL, communicate with you!

• Preach it! 1

On 1/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, Khaleesi said:

I was there for two years and left because it became such a huge deal. "Accidental" blocking my IP, would twist words, say i said something negative about someone...weird.

As an admin on the game I play, this behavior in an admin horrifies me. We had a problem admin back when I was new who I found out was name-banning certain characters so they couldn't log in unless he was around, effectively forcing them to only rp with him.

I rounded up the other deputies (what we call admins there) and we spoke to the owner of the game, and got him kicked out as a deputy for that.

I am so sorry that you had to deal with that obvious abuse. The other admins should have rallied behind you, especially if you had the proof.

It especially horrifies me because not only is it an abuse of power, but I've also been bullied by admin before and how stressful it can be.

-------

To answer the actual question:

For me, I find that if I feel like I belong or have people that genuinely like to have me around, I'm more likely to stick with a place.

I also need a lot of creative freedom so my muse can run wild.

Edited by landofkarchan
Spacing issue.

image.png.c0ee5c69e645e4b9a58958d449be951d.png

If the setting interests me, the administration and community are nice, I generally am happy to stay with a site.

My biggest issues are largely that I can only focus on one site at a time, and the settings that do interest me tend to not attract many members, so the site closes within a couple of months. 😔

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

Whether or not I say depends on two factors: atmosphere and setting. If the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, fantastic. If they aren’t, I will find a way or reason to run. However, sometimes I simply cannot get into a site’s plot. Roleplaying is a hobby and I have no desire to waste time on things I’m not enjoying. 

Good host, active community and good site content where all the links work.

Commander Gabriel Reyes

Commanding Officer, USS Tesla

TF72, Obsidian FLeet

Honestly?

That I have something to reply to most times I log in.

I can forgive not having plots, not having any interesting threads, if the staff isn't that active, if my partner is really bad at writing, if the board isn't that big.... But if there's nothing for me to do, then I'm out. It's taken me many years to accept that the site itself weeds you out.

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

1. Good stories with people who do invest the time and the writing to create stuff you wanna be a part of.

2. Steady admins, if there is constant change that is kind of worrisome

3. Good communication between admin and members as well as between members

4. No bloody word count

4. No posting regulations - I work alot so patience is a bonus

5. An over all theme or races that appeal to me creatively

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

1. STAFF - I can't stress this enough. If I know the admin is a serial closer then I don't invest any time. If the staff is engaging and communicate, I'm all about that. Staff/Admins can really make the difference sometimes.

2. Members - if the members communicate and plot, it's great. I love being a part of that. Patience is a big thing with me as I work crazy hours so that is helpful as well.

3. No word counts - I'm not a fan. I've seen some short posts that are amazing and long, drawn out that can be tedious and all fluff. I also strangely feel like I'm being graded on my efforts.

4. Feel - the feel of a place can spell it all out. If I can't feel like I vibe, then I usually will move on. 

5. Plots - if I'm engaged and involved then I'm all in. I love getting into plots and having fun because that's the whole point at the end of the day.

These are in no real particular ranking order. They're just how they came to me but this is basically my overall when considering something to join.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

spacer.pngDecadence