What Makes You Stick with a Site?

Dragon

- i genuinely feel not just welcome but accepted and wanted in the community, and the members and staff seem to be happy to have me around and want to write and plot with me. 

- seeing lots of want ads available and being taken 

- daily posting activity 

- people plotting not just in dms but openly as well, while also inviting room for other interested parties to join in on plotting discussions if they have a character who might fit

- sites that are understanding and accepting toward neurodivergent people

- seeing people who are there to relax, write and have fun.  no drama, no one complaining about past drama or anything, just a focus on enjoying a fun hobby 

• Love 1

• 2 months later...

Activity and engagement with other members, for sure. Even on a site that's otherwise great, my muse would inevitably fade if my writing partners's activity dropped.

For me, it's the people, I absolutely love a good vibe from a great poster.  It's what has me thinking about boards that have been closed for years now. 

• 3 months later...

The people and the plots honestly. Its so rare these days to find an RP where the community itself feels like one big friend group that you are welcomed to and everything just slides into place you know? Even when there is a disagreement or conflict going on, the parties just get over it after venting and everything goes smoothly. Nowadays you see too many cliques especially ones that the staff either is at the heart of or lowkey promotes and even the littlest slight puts someone in a 'die mad' mode for life. 

Then when you got plots are either are thought out or somehow just formed on their own that turn into something that you just can't wait to get back to when going off to start your work day or something. Also, when plot means and actual plot and both or one side of it doesn't automatically assume 'plot=smut/ship' 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing on the same site AU Potter site for 10+ years, and pretty much that one only. What has made me stick there, if I really think about it...: 

- Having the option of letting my character grow and make a mark has been a big one. The fact that my character could have his very own knockturn shop, with it's own forum, has been heaven for me. It's made me feel like I have my very own space within the bigger picture, and it can play a part for others if they want. 

- Having options and various things to do is something I really appreciate. Like in this one, where I could be playing a student, be a professor or something completely different. There is a place for every type of character, and I get to play my dark and gloomy stuff amidst flowers and sunshine. 

- Site management also playes a huge role - to experience that the admins actually appear exicted about stuff that's going on, create site wide plots and things to join in on and make things feel new is awesome. 

- The people playing. This is the biggest one, for sure. To feel a good vibe, be respected, feel that people are excited about your writing and characters... It's the best. 

32931973_SAgif(1).gif.746e26b022202f76c8b58022c38b9a76.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Good members. Even if the RP itself goes into periods of slow or no activity for a couple of days or weeks. If it has a good staff and member base who I know will be there to BS with me, somewhere I can rant randomly to, get support for something stressing me, and not worry about cliquey behavior or all that nonsense. I'll find I'll never leave that place until the staff decides to close it down. Places like that are so very rare these days with people that form cliques, make everything their way or no way, attempt to destroy someone just for a minor annoyance, or really petty TV style high school/middle school drama. So when I find a place like that, I cling to it for dear life.

Friendly staff and members! people who let you join-in and help you get established on the site (understand the in's and out's).

• 1 year later...

To stick with a site the members need to be nice and I love not feeling pressured to post a certain amount of words. I'm a busy human at this point and I don't wanna feel like role playing is a job.

I also appreciate visually appealing, accessible sites.

• 5 months later...

The people! My current partners make me feel so appreciated, as a person AND writer, I never want to leave 😍

Granted that the site looks like a good fit and I've got a character in play, what keeps me around is a) clicking with one or two other writers, b) I actually get to write!

People are always very welcoming and engaged during the application processes, but I'll get into threads and the site will fall inactive or I have two or three writing partners drop threads. In those cases, I say my good-byes. 

If we can get past that stage, I am pretty likely to stick around as long as the site is active.