Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Morrigan

Discuss! Artist Directory

So something that came up in our discord forever ago (Thanks @Deep Sea) was a suggestion about an Artist directory. Similar to like our Writing and Links Directory something to showcase your work and to show whether or not you are taking commissions free or paid.

With the new year coming we have begun work on such a directory and are looking for feedback on what you think should be involved in this.

Now to begin we don't intend for this to be purely graphics related, we intend to allow for multiple different things to be utilized in this directory including our gallery, our themes directory, our mods directory, and our codex.

The point of the directory would be a centralized place to show your work for a user. Specifically this would be for those offering their services to those that are looking to have their needs filled. Whether their services are free or paid for would be up to the artist in question, as well as their fees. What we're looking for here is things you would like included in such a directory both from the browsing perspective and from the artist perspective.

Feel free to throw our your suggestions and we'll take them into consideration as we move forward and develop this new feature.

• Love 3

I think this is a great idea, but I second @Verridith on availability. I'm not always open for commissions but the option to show off my work and art sites would be nice- though with the gallery and coteries I feel like the way you're going to set it up is better for artists currently taking commissions to get their work out there.

5 hours ago, Deep Sea said:

Since the intent is commissions, do you think you'll have payments go through The Initiative, or leave that up to the artists?

The intent is not "paid" commissions. We encourage freely provided resources. 

Paid commissions are merely an option being allowed for artists choosing to participate. In that event, the individual artist will be responsible for their payment options - and legally speaking will be solely responsible for the content they provide. The Initiative will not be held responsible for misuse or theft of stock, and will remove any content in violation. 

14 hours ago, Verridith said:

For artists who very rarely open commissions, but would like a portfolio-type entry on such a directory - would those be allowed?

If you would like a portfolio entry, then you are encouraged to utilize The Initiative's gallery option. As @Morrigan has previously stated, Artist Directory listings will only be available if the artist is actively seeking commissions.  @Sae

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What we're looking for here is things you would like included in such a directory both from the browsing perspective and from the artist perspective.

BROWSING PERSPECTIVE IDEA:

• Obvious show of "Free" "Commission" or "Both", users can quickly see if they can afford to pay or if they cannot they can find free (similar to the site directory function where it shows "Member Active on Initiative" type of thing.
  • As well as another similar function that users are able to input what they specialize in? Tables, Graphics, etc.
  • Thank you 1

Funny this came up as I have been hunting for someone to do an art comission for me but I have no idea where to even start. This would be a very useful feature!

I think galleries with a few samples and prices would be easiest, broken down by medium. Be it art, graphics, or even coding bits. And then a subsection for requests in each of those categories. 

• Thank you 1

On 12/4/2018 at 5:26 PM, isoldehn said:

As well as another similar function that users are able to input what they specialize in? Tables, Graphics, etc.

Agreed! Some premade tags to begin with would be nice, I've made a short list desired tags.

• Digital
  • Traditional
  • Image Manipulation/Photoshop
  • Animation (for ppl who make gifs and other animated graphics)
  • Thank you 1