Is it better to draw your own art or use premade graphics?

fruity20

as much as i hate doing most of the stuff by myself, i like going  out of my way to draw my own graphics. there's a sense of pride of making things yourself than relying on premade stuff for your forum. but that's my opinion honestly. for more generic settings, premade ones do wonders. 

Its a lot of work to draw everything yourself but I really appreciate when a site has well-done custom art of some sort. That doesn't mean all images need to be original art. in fact you might do best to start from a template and replace the images as you find inspiration to do so, but a few original things really do a good job at helping set the tone of the site, and show folks what sort of aesthetic you are going for.

3 minutes ago, Kazetatsu said:

Its a lot of work to draw everything yourself but I really appreciate when a site has well-done custom art of some sort. That doesn't mean all images need to be original art. in fact you might do best to start from a template and replace the images as you find inspiration to do so, but a few original things really do a good job at helping set the tone of the site, and show folks what sort of aesthetic you are going for.

it's kinda frustrating to find premade art that exactly fits your vision. but it's now too hard.

the premade is just a place to start really, you can use art from multiple sources, or find things that are generic enough to fit most site themes. sometimes you can also use photo editing to change the tone of the art or crop it to the area you want and discard the odd stuff out. A site doesn't need to be heavy-art either. A single good header img with a well chosen color scheme and font for the site can be enough sometimes.

• Agree 1

There is no "better". It's just all about what you enjoy doing.

On my games, my staff and I draw all the artwork. 🙂 It's what we enjoy doing, and there's a great deal of pride in being capable of doing it ourselves and producing original content. Plus, we like doing art so why not? But there's nothing wrong with using premades. Not everyone has the skills, time, or programs to produce graphics for their sites, nor the money to commission things, so y'know, whatever works for you! There's no shame in it. Do what works for you.

• Cheers 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

I love seeing custom art on sites. It just shows how much love is being poured into it. 

Reality is an illusion. 

We prefer actors and movie scenes, it is easier and more visually appealling.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for drawing yourself, but only if you can actually draw.  Otherwise, I've seen some A-MAY-ZINGH editors that will do crazy beautiful stuff for avatars, profile pics, etc.  I can make something that's almost passable, but nowhere near what most of people can seem to do.

oh well.

Signature