[Solved] IPS Character Mod field call, limits, groups questions

eqsanctum

First, sorry Morrigan for pming you. I was lost on the forums because of the grid layout for the site..(im an old school viewer) and was having a heck of a time navigating. Don't get old people, it sucks. Good news there is a layout choice...if you can see it 🙂

• Whats the custom character field call? I Want to move around specific fields and for the life of me I can't figure it out.  
    {$character->customFieldDisplayByKey('my_key', 'listing')|raw} ?
  • Is it possible to limit the amount of characters someone can make. We are using a system of "Alive, dead, benched" So they can only have one alive at a time, one benched and unlimited dead.
  • Is it possible to make it where someone could make their own group change to dead, but that group move only?
  • Something else we were thinking of doing is hooking specific backgrounds for each profile, as well as specific music, using the music players. Is that possible?
  • Is it possible to turn off the active character choice for posting? I mean I could just pull the editor choice and posting choice, so if that's easiest, cool. Where would I find those?
  • We were thinking of using a couple of font awesome fonts for character groups instead of images. We are not an image heavy site and do try to stream line a bit. Is it possible to change those image options to code entry? 

Thank you ahead of time.

Edited by eqsanctum

• Admin

For custom fields we actually have a few different articles explaining them and their use:

The custom_key is the second field when creating a custom field for the items.

• Is it possible to limit the amount of characters someone can make. We are using a system of "Alive, dead, benched" So they can only have one alive at a time, one benched and unlimited dead. - At this time, no.
  • Is it possible to make it where someone could make their own group change to dead, but that group move only? There is not. The ability to change character groups is available to groups with the " Can moderate characters " setting but they will be able to do this for all members as well as editing them.
  • Something else we were thinking of doing is hooking specific backgrounds for each profile, as well as specific music, using the music players. Is that possible? If you use the above guides just about anything is possible that you want to do.
  • Is it possible to turn off the active character choice for posting? I mean I could just pull the editor choice and posting choice, so if that's easiest, cool. Where would I find those? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. The choice is intended to be able to choose whether you are posting as your OOC account or not. There is no way to turn this off. A suggested feature for a future update is to allow an "Inactive" group in which those characters won't show up in the drop down but at this time it's not a part.
  • We were thinking of using a couple of font awesome fonts for character groups instead of images. We are not an image heavy site and do try to stream line a bit. Is it possible to change those image options to code entry? If you don't upload an image and instead just use a custom formatting you can do that with CSS. You can see it in action here on the hover over for the mini-profiles. https://dawnbreak.org/topic/1788-playing-with-the-grandkids/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-13214
  • Like 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I feel like a dolt. I REALLY need to learn how to search everything here better. I am way better than this I swear. I feel like I just asked you how to turn on my computer. I'm really sorry about not researching better first. Thank you for the response.

• Admin

No worries. That's what we're here for.Our search is pretty comprehensive but we post all of our guides in our guides section.

I can also recommend to join our IPS Staff People coterie:

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. The choice is intended to be able to choose whether you are posting as your OOC account or not. There is no way to turn this off. A suggested feature for a future update is to allow an "Inactive" group in which those characters won't show up in the drop down but at this time it's not a part.

We use a dead, alive, benched system. 

You have an active character, not for posting but for story background, history etc, a benched character, someone played but then put aside until the future (can only have one benched and active at a time) and then when a character dies, still have the reference for them.

So everything in the mod is amazing, we just don't use them as posting profiles.

I figure we can just put active as the default after approval, and simply comment out the ability to change characters in the post and editing sections. That what I was asking about, where does IPS populate those lines of code within a mod. I have never had to comment them out before, core functions that is.

Edited by eqsanctum

• Admin

This would be a manual change to a core file. If you're on CiC that won't work.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

3 hours ago, Morrigan said:

This would be a manual change to a core file. If you're on CiC that won't work.

I was able to figure it out. Have most everything working. Limited ability in place as an excellent character reference set up. 1 alive 1 dead 1 benched. The only issue I have now, is changing the sort fields for the character table index on the character index page. Because we are not using post tracking I am trying to disable the "posts" field within the sorting options. Any advice?

postcount.png

Edited by eqsanctum

• Admin

Hide it via CSS.

[data-ipsmenuvalue="character_post_count"] {
display: none;
}

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Thank you for everything. We got the setup going pretty well. f I have any questions again just use the same thread?

• Admin

Either or, no worries. ❤️

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I had it.

How I can do this?

We arent using it to post as characters (right now), so we dont need a character selection. I simply cant find the the spot to comment it out

We dont want to use the character signature section, since we arent using it to post as characters, so for now, wed like to comment it out.

These items, are actually the last thing we are doing then we are releasing it for use on our site 😛

characetposrt.png

charactersignature.png

charactertopicedit.png

Edited by eqsanctum

Just in case you still need help, my band aid solutions:

For signature, I just add this to my custom css

li#form_character_signature {
  display: none
}

For change character at the bottom of a post. I can't find anything specific, so I would just try adding the following to my custom css

ul.ipsComment_controls.ipsClearfix.ipsItemControls_left li:last-child {
}

It will hide the last list item in the ipsComment_controls list, which I think is always going to be change character.

For the character field in new topics, I can't find them in the templates, but my custom css solution:

select[name^=character_starter_id],
label[for^=character_starter_id] {
}

Hope they help you!

• I read this! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

This helped a lot actually. You helping an entire RP community come out of a dismal character system, and this is working perfectly 🙂

SO thank you again for helping with this. On to the bugs 😛

On the index page, as in the "home" landing page, news etc, no forums, when using the create menu dropdown it still shows the signature field in the character form, but it doesn't anywhere else....Im still trying to wrap my head around that one. I'm not 100% sure, as I can't find it, can't the menu item that appears in the create drop menu be removed? We can do this, instead of worrying about the form loading there and just make a bar item instead that only shows for members.

incorrectsig.thumb.png.f7cb2232accc6ea7a4cecf1808d2c19e.png

correctsig.thumb.png.1486b4459e72f00a2a4131a4096948af.png

On the posting/editing page of a forum topic, the character switch fields are gone, now it just says "character" rofl Gotta find it and comment it out. Do you know the string for the character title? If not is there some CSS magic that might actually hide it? I tried checking it, but I'm a newb I guess in this respect.

topicbug.thumb.png.4ae35ce978ac75d481aaa283cede51e4.png

Also this is where we are at right now, we did a "pre" announcement and people like what they saw A LOT:

Spoiler

Character Index of all characters across the forum, created

vWTBziY.png

Character Information: This is the character landing page

All of the information on the character landing page will be in a simple title: information layout. Its is also filled out this way in the fields when making your character. Certain information is displayed differently. Examples: Title- Shows above your name, quote shows to the right of player name. Your group status for your character is before the player name(alive dead etc)

XFOz10s.png

Character Description: This is an open editor

Just like your forums posts this page uses an open editor allowing you greater freedom of information

MzhAhlC.png

Character History: This is an open editor

Just like your forums posts this page uses an open editor allowing you greater freedom of information

D8caQoe.png

Character Images: This is a file upload choice

Just like your profile, here you would upload, 3 images of your character that are displayed in a simple format

coW8zIC.png

Character Relationships: This is an open editor

O5AzSzy.png

Player's Characters

This shows all character associated with the creating accounthFot4eM.png

Added site specific sorting options

8TEwG3v.png

HhK7s7h.png

Edited by eqsanctum
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

10 hours ago, eqsanctum said:

On the index page, as in the "home" landing page, news etc, no forums, when using the create menu dropdown it still shows the signature field in the character form, but it doesn't anywhere else....Im still trying to wrap my head around that one. I'm not 100% sure, as I can't find it, can't the menu item that appears in the create drop menu be removed? We can do this, instead of worrying about the form loading there and just make a bar item instead that only shows for members.

That doesn't make any sense! I use the exact same code for my site and it works on all pages, even when navigating via the create menu. Weird! So just to clarify, did you put the following code in your custom.css? 

}

If you're certain, try altering it to this:

display: none!important
}

And of course, do the old hard refresh. If that still doesn't work, to remove the list item from the drop down menu:

div#elCreateNew_menu li:last-child {
}

As before, this will remove the last list item in the create menu which I believe is always the character link.

10 hours ago, eqsanctum said:

On the posting/editing page of a forum topic, the character switch fields are gone, now it just says "character" rofl Gotta find it and comment it out. Do you know the string for the character title? If not is there some CSS magic that might actually hide it? I tried checking it, but I'm a newb I guess in this respect.

label[for^=character_starter_id]

Is hiding the word "character" it's just being overridden by a more specific ruleset. Add !important on the end of display: none so that you end up with:

select[name^=character_starter_id],
label[for^=character_starter_id] {
  display: none!important
}

Hopefully the second time round is more successful!

• Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png