What's your IM client of choice for roleplay sites, and why?

Deep Sea

So here's something I've been mulling over today - a lot of sites have a cbox and.or Discord server in addition to the their out of character forums. For sites that you are run, or have run in the past, or will run in the future, what instant messaging clients do you like to use for your communities, and why? And if you don't like having an IM client on your site, why is that?

Please someone make a Slack RP group so that I can be more subtle at work....

Glub glub.

• Admin

I use Discord pretty much exclusively. I used to use Skype/Skype groups. I actually don't like Slack for use as an RP chat but that's because I also use it for work and I don't like to mix work with RP (even though I work from home so I'm basically able to work and RP no matter what. I just don't want to click to Slack and start typing because I saw a slack notification and end up posting that to work what should have gone to an RP chatroom.

Plus it doesn't have a dark mode.

• LOL 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

All the sites I've been on, either as a member of staff/admin, had a cbox in addition to 'something else'.  Over time, the 'something else' shifted from MSN to AIM to Skype to Discord.  I think the last of those is probably the best for online communities, because of all the features it has that skype lacks.  I clung pretty hard to skype before going full-tilt into the Discord hype.

logo.png

I use c-box. It was paid premium by my co-administrator, and it is OK for our infrequent collective discussions and for the exchange with guests. If we had more talkative people, we would have got a Discord too, complementing it, but if I make it, nobody would use it. 

• Like 1

these days i exclusively use discord. i like that you have the ability do DM users directly, that you can notify people of new messages/tags/announcements/etc. i also like being able to access it while i'm at work or on my phone - if there's a site emergency i'm always reachable that way. i also like that i can filter in tweets made by my host about service being disrupted.

i used to be all about slack, as it has a lot of the same capabilities and is more in line with helping keep my staff team organized, but it eats up too much memory anymore and slows down my system immensely. 

i'm not really a huge fan of cbox anymore considering services like discord and slack are out there. the sense of community offered by more integrative services is way more appealing to me.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I used to use AIM and MSN. I have to admit that I miss MSN sometimes, and then later Skype. 

Now I exclusively use premium cbox and discord.

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

I mean... I use Discord but infrequently. I have to be poked to go there. I check in from time to time, though.

Reality is an illusion. 

Discord and on-site boards.

I like a few others used to use Skype a lot, never really got into any of the other platforms though. I remember the days of cbox being super popular but with the rise and use of discord, cboxs that I do see are usually pretty 'slow' or 'inactive' compared to the discord probably because cbox has less options but I do miss the 50x50 icons/pixels lol. I know ooc chatter in communities/forums are sometimes on boards as well but I do not see them used very often (more so for large community discussions which is hard to have in a chat platform) but I do still like to see them there/use them (like said for bigger discussions on my personal preference). Those also are easy to dig up the exact discussion for future references, everything related to it is in one thread.

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

I use Discord exclusively. Having different channels and search features are a lifesaver. Plus the integration with the forum makes things even better. I just love Discord, plus the mobile app is great. Not to mention dark modes!

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

Discord, but in future I don't think I'll run an 'official' off site chat area for reasons that is purely about me, not about the effects on community or the software (which is fabulous).

• Like 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

We have a cbox on board and use Skype primarily for off-board chatting; though a number of our members do use discord, most of our staff team (myself included) does not so it's not feasible as an on-board option xD

IKiE2z.png

I'm having fun reading everyone's opinions!

• Agree 1

Glub glub.