Before you post in a thread....

Liannis

If you're doing a one-on-one thread, do you reread the whole thread each time or just the last post or two before posting?

What if it's a group thread?

Normally I just read the post before but I do occasionally read over other posts/the full thread when I'm waiting. That's so I can get back into the scene if it's been a while. Group threads are difficult for me to keep up with but I read all the posts before mine and TRY to respond to what my character would respond to. But it's really tricky if the posts are too long. 

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion. 

usually just the post before unless I am referencing something that happened further back. same for group threads. I read the posts before me, but not the older posts that I'd already responded to. I tend to remember enough of the gist to not feel the need to keep re-reading.

Edited by Kazetatsu
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

haaaaaaaaa i have to reread the whole thread bc i forgot like 87% of what's been written already. it's usually just skimming but still counts. otherwise my posts in the thread are horribly retconning previous posts continuously. 

• Agree 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

It depends really. Some of my threads are posted in daily so I don't need to reread anything. I can just go with the flow. My main writing partner and I can knock out a thread with 10 or so posts in it in a few days so there's not much time to forget the feel of what is happening. If it's been more than a couple of days then I will reread the whole thread to get back into the scene. My methods are the same regardless of the other number of writers in the thread. 

I also reread old threads if the characters are coming together again after some time apart (or a lot of time between being written together). I enjoy reading the history between characters though so its not unusual to catch me reading finished threads in our archives. 

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

8 hours ago, Zozma said:

threads are difficult for me to keep up with but I read all the posts before mine and TRY to respond to what my character would respond to. But it's really tricky if the posts are too long. 

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Especially if there are  more than 3 people in a thread.. Because otherwise it seems like over 75% of your post is just reacting to what everyone did.

Edited by Liannis
  • Agree 1

I always read the posts since my last (though I suppose life would be interesting if I didn't xD), but rarely go further back unless it's been a while since I last posted there or my character's movement is important -- have they already stood up, or do they need to before they can storm off?

• Agree 3

IKiE2z.png

I just read the last few posts. For one RP, it's just not doable to read _everything_ seeing it's been going for multiple years.
We're on like 200 pages by now :')

The only reason to go further back than the last post, or last 2 posts for me is because I'm unsure on something or really need to get in the zone again.

For groups, same thing applies, only you get more posts / texts in a shorter amount of time (or you should at least)

• Like 1

Always believe in yourself and keep going. You don't have to have the most talent in the world. You don't have to be the smartest person in the world. If you persist and you persist and you persist, you will be successful.

Dean Cain

IjdT9HX.png
1x1 Partner Searches | Group Searches

I try and go back and read everything since the last post.  The reality is that the time for that rarely exists, so I wind up just reading the last one or two posts to make sure I don't jack up anything in my follow-up.

logo.png

16 hours ago, Kazetatsu said:

usually just the post before unless I am referencing something that happened further back. same for group threads. I read the posts before me, but not the older posts that I'd already responded to. I tend to remember enough of the gist to not feel the need to keep re-reading.

This is how I do too, unless it has passed too long time. Then I read the whole thread, to get again in the same mood and mindset.

It depends. If I've posted recently and have a strong muse, I'll generally know what's happened and how my character will respond already. If it's a slower paced thread, then I'll read back through however much I need to until I can place myself back in the 'tone' of that situation again. When I'm not sure how to respond, I'll read through that thread (and others my character has been in that are relevant) until I get a feel of what their reaction might be. 

With groups, I'll read through each characters last post so that I'm envisioning what's happening at that time, form out my reply and double check that I haven't messed up any details or contradicted anything from earlier on in the thread. 

Depends on how long it's been since I last replied. xD Also depends on how long the thread is!

A large number of my threads are 500 - 2000 posts long. >_> Every now and then I need a refresher and will re-read chunks here and there to make sure things are consistent or remember things about the characters. But that's just if it's been a while--or if I just wanna read it for funsies. Usually, stuff stays pretty danged fresh because I do a lot of post volleying, so usually I only have to read the last post or two.

Group threads are a bit of a nightmare for me so 99% of my threads are one x one. I really only enjoy doing group threads if replies are kept relatively short, otherwise it makes my brain hurt and, indeed, I spend a ton of time just re-reading posts over and over again and trying to figure out how to make things work. xD

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

When responding to a thread I typically only read my last post and the post(s) since my last post. I will only read further back in the thread if I need to reference something earlier or if I need to verify whether or not my character should know something (like someone's name, or if something was  a thought or a statement)

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

Inanely variant, for me.

I have a habit of disappearing for long periods of time, as I need to do something else for a while, either just because or due to real life things, so sometimes I'll come back to a game, and have three threads on that site still running, but I haven't touched or thought of them, probably, in a month or more. I'm a terribly forgetful person, as well, so in general, if it's been longer than a week or two, I'll read back a few posts, just to remember what was going on. I also might skim further back if I need to remember something for continuity's sake.

I try to re-read every once in a while, because I am such a forgetful person, I don't want to end up contradicting everything, or veering the thread off into a very random place because of my inability to remember what I was doing to start with, but otherwise I just read the most recent post(s) after mine. I don't have trouble with group threads, though, even if they are long, but I may end up post-splicing eventually, but I approach them the same way.

Skybreak

Wuxia Oriental Fantasy

It depends if it's been awhile or not. If it has then I read my last post and theirs before replying, if not then I just read their last post. For group threads, if they are massive, we've gotten pretty good with tagging so you know when you're being spoken to or referenced to be able to respond to it.

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +