What is the worst character you ever created?

Morrigan

• Admin

So I figure this thread can go one of two ways but what I'm asking for here is the worst of the worst. You hated playing them (and likely eventually dropped them), people hated playing with them etc. It doesn't have to be an asshole or bitch character. Just ended up not quite vibing with the character well.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Tried to round out my cast by playing a character who was interested in the carnal all the time. He wasn't aggressive; he just flirted with everything that moved and tried to be fun all the time. And idk, I just... couldn't write him. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Essentially every "villain" I've ever made.

I've had a few; conflict is something that happens all the time, whether we like it or not, it's just that when I know a character exists primarily to be a source of conflict, my own internal bias causes me not to develop them as much as I would normally. They're just bad, because I said they are, seems to be what it ends up being like, so there's really nothing interesting about them. They're like those filler monsters in the field on video games. Just there to be shot at.

My friend, who plays very interesting villains, tells me not to approach them as "sources of conflict," and more "regular characters that eventually cause conflict," but I've always had trouble not separating them that way. Ultimately, they tend to exist for a short period, be hated for that short period, and do nothing of interesting note, and because I never develop them very far, I don't get terribly attached to them or anything, so they're pretty generic.

Edited by Nariko
  • I read this! 1

Skybreak

Wuxia Oriental Fantasy

Every very disagreeable character I've made. The fault was mine for making them as my first characters. 

I have made extremely agreeable villian characters with excellent success!

• Love 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

I feel like this might be triggering soo

Spoiler

I played a murderer who kidnapped young boys, tortured, raped, and killed them. And he had an accomplice which was one of his young boys that had grown into adulthood. Mostly we (the writers) were exploring the dynamic between those two and didn’t write out what they did in graphic detail. It was an... interesting glimpse at a darker side but a sickening character.

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• 3 weeks later...

I played a very dark, sociopathic villain character once. I hated playing her because I was hurting characters I adored... with regularity. Everyone, in turn, HATED her as a character (which let's face it they should hate her) but LOVED her as far as writers asking for trouble to hit their characters. She was the most asked for villain character I've ever played. I had more than one person tap out of storylines that were just too much (always discussed prior to starting so no hard feelings) It just came to the point where I refused to log on because I didn't want to end up playing her.

Eventually, I gave her an epic death at the hands of the people she tormented the most. That was fun. I have never before celebrated the death of my own character so damn much. Now when people ask me to play the bad guy... I shy away. I don't like hurting people!

• I read this! 1

The past is a place of reference, not residence.

My first character ever is my deepest regret. The son of Archangel and Psylocke from an alternate future, with psionic wings and psychic energy sword. I thought he was soooo cool, and he was undoubtedly so, so lame.

I was eleven, and I still sometimes lay in bed thinking about how shitty that character was.

• LOL 1

BxChg6.png
HOME | PLOT | RULES | ADVERTISE

What the Future Holds, a newly opened post-Civil War MCU site with a world fighting to find its way, and entirely new mutant canon.

BxUppO.gif

I actually have a few of these that are pretty much equal in this, however there was one that I drunk created. Lots of ideas, plans, etc. after his creation but the moment I actually started role playing him it was an obvious not meant to be.

In short the character was far from my usual playable personalities (there are just somethings I obviously cannot write well). He was a kind but firm man that lacked the native tongue and was stuck in a world that did not understand him. The goal was for him to learn the language and settle into the site but with the way things panned out he ended up being frustrated and spiteful towards everyone that didn't understand him. No friends. Any threads he was in were a bit hostile. Just not my cup of tea and I hated it. It was worse than playing a villain because he was never meant to be one. No matter what I did I couldn't connect with him or his personality I imagined. Tossed him out and recycled the design a year later LOL.

• I read this! 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

Any time I attempted to play Heroes/Good Guys. I am just not interested in doing the right thing always (in real life obviously that's different) and I have a hard time finding interesting things to say or do as someone who is always meant to be on the 'up and up'.

My idea of a living roleplay nightmare would be having to play someone like Superman. All powerful and such a boy scout.

Hard no.

• I read this! 1
  • Cheers 1

Nexusicon.png.678647df9a8611874229c6fef966a1c3.pngLDoA2.png.2b360af5aa3728450d9d1f60c2115198.pngMC12021icon.png.f5a62dba6f4cd3eb33b26a676af08cc9.pngMinus2021red.gif.596c1ccbffb851eb8b6339674762d81c.gifDoL222icon.png.4157ef5853ea802eb357bd765a221871.png

The worst character I've ever played is a little complicated. He wasn't a badly written character and he was fairly popular. But he started with a flawed concept. I was asked to make a Character NPC for a board that needed a Security Chief for one of the important player Characters. Initially he wasn't supposed to be a fully fleshed out PC. So I made a two-dimension character to start. Military Veteran who was discharged when he developed Diabetes and then went to work as personal security for this vampire. That was the entire starting concept. He had no depth, no emotional impact. But then the Admins changed their minds about how many characters you could have on the board. So suddenly they told me I had to write him out as a fully fleshed PC. Because they were going to count him against my character limit. So I had to develop him as a full character and keep intact the various thread interactions he had had so far. 

So basically he was a Nihilistic Sociopath. He had suffered from an emotionally controlling father figure and moderate abuse growing up. Was groomed for the military because of his propensity for violence and moral flexibility. Ran black ops for a while. Medically Discharged and then went into mercenary security to keep his cash flow going. He was mostly emotionally numb. Violence was the only thing that really stimulated him. 

So I started to realize that playing this character was stressing me out. He wasn't actively evil. He wasn't good. He wasn't out of control. He was just... absent. He didn't care about 90% of things. That lack of passion was draining me as I tried to play him. I started getting depressed when I logged on and tried to write to his threads. Then a friend wanted to DATE him. She said he turned her character on. I warned her he was sadistic and because of his nihilistic tendencies would be remote and it would likely be unhealthy. She said that was perfect for her character. So we had a thread where she came to his place. She started hitting on him. He responded out of boredom and they started to have sex. It was consensual but rough, heavy BDSM themes. He FELT things because of the aggression. Then she stopped responding to the thread. 

Couple weeks later she sends me a private message saying the thread had triggered her PTSD and she had to leave the board. She wasn't mad at me she said it was just too realistic and it was giving her flashbacks. I never heard from her again. I felt absolutely horrible for having ruined someone's game play. Despite the fact that everything was prediscussed and consentual. I dropped the character because it left a bad taste in my mouth and eventually ended up leaving the board. 

• I read this! 1

spacer.png

not rpg forum related, but I played this human fighter charatcer that was....personally boring. I couldn't do much with them and I eventually scarped him once the sessions stopped.

• I read this! 1

Basically every 'stoic' character that I've ever tried to make. I don't do..emotionless very well. I find it very, very hard to interact with other characters and to even connect with my own.

• I read this! 1

A while back, perhaps in 2007 or something, I was still relatively new to roleplaying and was talked into grabbing a kind of wanted ad (even though we didn't really have those at the time, only canons) since another player and I shared interest for a plot we wanted to try. Basically the character had to be a villain torturing their character for some reason. We both thought making a generic bad guy would be good enough, so I did. Nevermind the reason for torture or anything, just grab a faceclaim I didn't really know, put some lore background, and go with it.

Except that bad guy was completely one dimension, just some flat sadistic character being evil just because they wanted to be evil. Plus the other player and I also made the mistake of going straight for the torture scene in their first thread, nothing leading to it or making it a medium term story. No RP foreplay.

In the end, the thread was not even over that the other player got bored of the plot, I got bored of the plot, and on top of that, I realised this one-dimension evil with no motivation and spice to it had absolutely no use on the rest of the site. Basically, it was one purpose only, so there was no possible developing them in a realistic way unless I was to rewrite them entirely.

We also ended up feeling awkward to have such a violence-heavy and weird thread out of nowhere as well, getting self-conscious of other members reading it and finding the thread appalling. 

I think only the site dying from an unrelated cause not long after prevented me from having to ask the staff to delete the character. I learned a lesson about avoiding making a character too "single-purpose".

• I read this! 1
oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

On 12/23/2018 at 12:47 AM, xexes said:

Every very disagreeable character I've made. The fault was mine for making them as my first characters. 

I remember one of them! In hindsight though, I think a lot of the things she disagreed with were very intelligent and were things that should have been disagreed with! My character though... different story.

And on that note: one of my first wolf characters, Chanjask. 99.9% of people found him utterly intolerable, myself, occasionally, included. xD Part of this was probably due to the fact that I was new to forum RP at the time, and hadn't caught on to the etiquette and whatnot yet.

Edited by Josie