Do you like to be notified of reported actions?

StormyWays13

Okay so as a member do you like to notified on reported actions?

So let's say you report a post as spam, do you like to be updated from a staff member on the progress of that report and how it is dealt with? Or do you not care once it has been reported.

Admins, share your thoughts on this post:

• I read this! 1

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

Yes, otherwise I would think I was ignored.

• I read this! 1

I suppose for me it depends on what I reported.  If I reported a post as spam, and the post was deleted, I don't think I'd care much if they didn't get back to me and say "yep we deleted it". Because, well, I can see it was deleted. If I reported a post for something more serious, like if a member was bullying someone else, or if something broke a lore rule, or something more like that, then I'd probably like to hear back from them with at least a "thank you for the report, it is being dealt with by our moderation team". How exactly the staff decides to 'deal with' a rule break is maybe a bit more nosy than I'd be. If the post gets deleted/edited/whatever. If I was wrong about it, and it didn't actually break the rules of course I'd expect them to tell me instead of leaving me in the dark to just think the rules don't matter. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 3

For things like report buttons on accidental spam or something equally straightforward, a 'done' or 'thanks' or short acknowledgment is pleasant but not expected.

If it's something more involved in that, some insight into the resolution is ideal.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

Like others have said, it would depend on what was being reported. Spam is simple, so you don't need a response to it really, but things that are more complicated, then I would like to know what is going on with it.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

• Admin

I stated it in the Management thread but I'll state it here. I find that being notified beyond a "thanks" in a report that has nothing to do with you personally (rule breaking, misconduct etc) is actually a bit skeezy and honestly privacy breaking on the end of the staff members. To me this is intentionally causing contention and I think @Dragon said it in the other thread but "playground rules" where if you tattletale and you see that Sally Jane is punished than you are right and you have won. Requiring or even expecting such a courtesy feels like you are expecting to win in a no-win situation because now you're the nark and I'm the bad kid.

I don't need another member that THINKS I'm breaking the rules to know if I am and how I'm dealt with. What business is it of theirs?

I do save that if, say, harassment is involved, there is a different action to take but that's only between the person being harassed and the person harassing. That being said this communication should involve all parties so the result is amicable and equally understood throughout the staff and members involved.

Beyond that, I think that notification of actions taken should be between the staff and the reported. End of story.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

No just thank me and tell me you read it. I'm usually just reporting something to formally make sure staff is aware of whatever.

• I read this! 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I'm curious now if there's a difference in average responses/protocols from people who are used to all-ages environment versus adult-oriented sites.

• I read this! 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

Personally, I think that if we're taking the time to report something, there should be an acknowledgement, but...after that, I don't honestly care.  If I report something and nothing comes of it, at least let me know that it was looked at.

• I read this! 1

Signature