Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Morrigan

Open Threads... are they dead?

For the most part they're dead. I've had one or two people randomly join them on impulse (which is the idea behind them, anyone can just jump in). More often than not they ended up being tagged open, but those who actually participate are people I mention it to in the chat box, or plotting, etc.

I think people prefer to talk out a basic idea, or get the formal invite to a thread, nowadays.

• Agree 1

It's really up to the culture of the site!

But the biggest hindrance is time. The topic owner may not remember the thread, may not be interested, or may have left or dropped that character already.

New players...

A lot of new players look for open threads, so these old open threads - usually the only kind of open thread there is - can be a place where new players are accidentally/inadvertently discouraged. 

• Agree 1

I don't think they're dead. I've never put up an open thread and had no one respond. Similarly, most members on the sites I'm on put open threads up whenever they create new characters and these opens never go unanswered. It must depend on an individual site and its culture.

Maybe open threads that aren't being replied to just aren't easy to reply to either. If an open thread is boring and a character isn't doing anything other than sitting in a coffee shop or some other location, leaving no fun way for my character to join in, I'm probably just going to pass it up and leave it for someone else to reply to. So I think it could boil down to a site culture and, possibly in some cases the content of the first post in an open thread.

• Agree 1

I love when my players post open threads, I love to post open threads, and I love replying to open threads. I'm really big into everybody interacting with everybody. There are a million places to go and do one-on-one rp, but a forum is a group thing. I don't see the point in joining a forum if you only ever want to post with one other person on the site. I'm not anti-closed-threads or anything, but it's got to make sense. If you're posting in the greenhouses at midnight - yeah, it's unlikely you'll randomly bump into someone - keeping the thread closed to you and someone else is fine. But if you're posting in the dining hall at lunch on a wednesday - that place is gonna be bustling and pretty much every character is in that room, whether they choose to interact or not- it should be open. I don't care if you're worried about someone else overhearing your character talking about their deepest, darkest secret. Tough titty said the kitty. Maybe go talk about it at midnight in the greenhouses and not in the middle of the caf at lunch!

As for random encounter open threads, where there's no prior arrangement between the OP and anyone else... I do understand how people could dislike them... but I love those, too. If it's boring as hell, I jump in and try to make it interesting. We're writers, people! We are literally only limited by our imaginations. And obviously rules and canon and such, but you get what I mean. Open threads aren't dead to me.

• Preach it! 3

I love open threads, but like you said it seems like they are dying out. I can create an open thread and it will sit and sit. When my members make open threads, I always feel like I am the only one replying to them, and thus taking away from their opportunities to thread with other members of the site.

Due to this I have actually started advertising the open threads in a ticker underneath of our discord embed on the site. That way when you're replying to another character, the list of open threads is there slowing ticking by and hopefully encouraging someone to click on them.

I really do hope they are not dying out though, because a lot of my favorite plots have come from random encounters.