GIF Advertisments as a Prospective Member

StormyWays13

GIF Advertisments  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As a perspective member, has seeing GIF advertisements attracted or deterred you from joining you a new site? 

Site Admins:

• I read this! 1

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

If I see a gif advertisement I'll assume that the admin team are big on pic shipping (is that what it's called?) and that's just not something I enjoy. I also assume that it'll come with a community that I won't really integrate with.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

They are unusual, eye-catching, and I have been compelled to click. I joined some, in the past. Others had aspects which didn't allow me to join, but the gif made me click and check.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

I'm epileptic.

Nobody can choose and design animations correctly, and not manage to give me a migraine, at the very least. At least no one's managed to set off a severe reaction, but that's a small comfort. Animated gifs are so common, now, I expect to run into several, and many not-severe-but-migraine-inducing gifs together on the same page just completely tanks my day. So I have a gif jammer built into my browser. It freezes them on the first frame.

So if I come across a gif advertisement, that first frame better be poppin', or it's not doing the site any favours, and chances are, it isn't poppin'. Further, usage of a gif advertisement tells me that site is either extremely visual, and I don't need that kind of negativity, or everything on the site moves, so in general, I'll pass over sites I know use a gif advert (if I can tell... sometimes I can't tell it's supposed to be moving).

• I read this! 1
  • Thank you 1
  • Great Idea 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Honestly not a fan of solely image advertisements in the first place. Plus always felt as far as advertising it could cause issues. Sometimes images don't work right, the links break, etc. With gifs I'd imagine for mobile users who have data limits they likely would be a strong deterrent plus if say they're a member of the site you advert on they could have images set to not display(some forum hosts have this option). The ads that tend to get me are the ones that include text details or even links.

I scroll right over them without looking. I won't even read the text part if there's a gif. They just do not bode well for me meshing into the community. As others have elaborated, they just give you certain opinions about what is happening on the site. And its rare that having an unexpected flash of movement suddenly on my screen doesn't make me sick. As in nauseated/dizzy. 

• I read this! 1
  • Thank you 1

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

Eh I can take em or leave em. I barely even look at ads actually. I usually come across sites while advertising and decide to join based on the site itself not the ad. 

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I don't like blatant gif ads - they're usually super pixel-y when they're not supposed to be and just generally badly done. But like a subtle gif effect? Something tasteful? Hellz yeah I'll click on that sucker. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

On 12/26/2018 at 5:30 PM, Arceus said:

So I have a gif jammer built into my browser. It freezes them on the first frame.

I'm looking for one that works on Chrome - what browser and jammer do you use?

_______

Yeah. Gifs are an instant turn-off for me. If there's unavoidable gifs on the site or leading to the site, it's not worth the migraines for me.

• I read this! 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

@SomniacChrome Gif Jam.

It only works on gifs, so it won't jam animated pngs or gifs that use a different extension, though, but it kills most of them.

• I read this! 1
  • Thank you 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

They don't influence my decision to join at all, whether negatively or positively. *shrug* Same for any image advertisement. I ignore it and click to the site to see what it's about.

• I read this! 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

It really doesn't matter to me.  Yes, GIFs are more eye catching, but it isn't going to make or break a deal for me.

• I read this! 1

• Admin

Being that Gifs bog down load times (as they are huge images) and that they are overall not normally made particularly well I dislike them. I actually tend to avoid sites with gif advertisements as they appear to normally be flashy and overabundant in gifs (like gifs for avatars instead of a hover over gifs in mini-profiles). They are often headache inducing and I'll be honest it makes it horribly difficult to type up a reply while a jerking gif is in view and getting them out of view is a pain in the ass when you're used to using a "fast reply" feature to quickly reply. It's also a pain to try to get them out of view when you are trying to read.

To me, many gifs are like mini-strobe lights on a website. You can take them for a little while but eventually you need to get out of the strobe lights to give your eyes some rest.

Don't get me wrong, they can be awesome, but they also have the tendency to just be annoying little strobe lights on a site.

I prefer my gifs stay to where they are warranted. Normally a joke in a thread. Not a signature, not an avatar, not an advertisement but some good fun.

forevercurry.gif

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • LOL 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I'm a complete GIFaholic. I use them all the time, post them all the time and make them all the time. A well-done gif advertisement (the subtler the better, usually, or mixing static elements with small movement) will absolutely make me happy to look at it, but it won't really make me any more likely to click the add or join the site. GIF ads work for me as any other ads. I may look at them and love them if they're really well made, but if the site doesn't sound like something I'll like or if there isn't any actual information other than a pretty gif, I probably won't click it!

I voted I join sites with gif advertisements mostly because it won't deter me from joining and I love looking at them, but I don't think they'll help a lot with making me curious for a site. I had never considered that people might get migraines from them, and I'm curious about this.

Do subtle or gifs with only a small moving part suck for you too?

• I read this! 1