How do You Judge a Site's Activity

Dragon

• Operations Mod

When floating through the black hole of ads and affs in search of a fitting site - how do you determine that the activity on that site makes it worth joining? 

Alternatively, do you consider activity at all when joining? I was once on a site for nearly 5 years, and even 2 years after the site was clearly dead there were new registrations and apps posted.

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

If they're available for viewing, I generally look at the in character post sections. If the most recent post was from over a month ago in all sections, then I generally assume it is dead or dying. If the OOC section is available for viewing, once in a while I'll spot a "where did everyone go?" or "Is the site dead?" post there, which is a good clue. I also look for the site's chat box. If they have a cbox that hasn't been posted in for a month, that's a bad sign. 

• Agree 1

I look at the threads and see how long ago they were posted in. Then, I look at the “Most members online” at the bottom of the page. Re-vamped or new sites like mine are sorta the exception though. 

• Admin

" Most members online "? How does that help you? The one on the Initiative is almost a year old, for example. You get the most traffic when your site is new.

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

7 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

" Most members online "? How does that help you? The one on the Initiative is almost a year old, for example. You get the most traffic when your site is new.

Most members online sometimes will have a date and depending on when I find it I judge it from how long ago it was. Also, I look at the listing of how many characters were on that day.

• Admin

Maybe I'm being ignorant @Khaleesi I'm just trying to clarify an understanding. How does that help in determining a site's activity. A one day surge of "users online" doesn't seem (at least to me) to prove any sort of site activity. I feel it's the same as expecting an "activity check" to show you. But there are plenty of people that will log on and say they are active without doing any of the work. This metric seems to the same thing.

Could you provide more details?

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

I look at the cbox to see when the last comments were.  If it's over 2 days ago?  Too long.  1 day ago is pushing it.  Then I look at threads to see when the last ones were posted and then how many people are on at a certain time.  

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Everglow said:

I look at the cbox to see when the last comments were.  If it's over 2 days ago?  Too long.  1 day ago is pushing it.  Then I look at threads to see when the last ones were posted and then how many people are on at a certain time.  

What if a site doesn't have a cBox?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

then last threads written and people online today... or I'll check the last month for how many posts were written

And no cbox doesn't matter to me for advertising and affiliates, but if a site doesn't have a cbox that I'm thinking of joining then I stop thinking.  I like talking to the community I write with in live chat.  

• Like 1

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Everglow said:

And no cbox doesn't matter to me for advertising and affiliates, but if a site doesn't have a cbox that I'm thinking of joining then I stop thinking.  I like talking to the community I write with in live chat.  

Interesting. What do you do with sites that have converted over to discord that no longer off an on-site way of communicating?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

If it says that they have a discord or they have a widget embed then I'm ok with that.  Personally, I have a discord chat embed on my site so people can see that we have discord and that we're active with it.  But I know not everyone has that.  As long as I know a chat is available I'm happy.  🙂

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

I don't bother with cboxes or discord and the like. Communities can be the type that don't talk much, but post a huge bunch, and I'm okay with those.

The first thing I look at is, are there people online right now? Next, how many names are in the online today list? Finally, I will look at the list of recent topics/posts. If possible, I'll go back about a week. I expect at least one ic post in there.

Now, I may go back two weeks and accept one ic post there as active, because I am a patient person, but I will be considering it more carefully by that point.

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I check recent IC posts/threads for activity within the past two weeks. I also take into consideration that there may be lulls around things like holidays, nanowrimo, and college finals. In those cases, I check for activity within the past month. I have seen some 'dead' sites rise from the ashes months later. If there was activity just a little over a month prior, and I'm REALLY interested, I'll leave a comment in the guest/ooc forum or cbox, then bookmark it and check for activity for a month or two until it's absolutely clear that it's not coming back to life. The site I'm an admin on now was comatose for several months, actually. I helped the owner find new players and we did a soft reboot.

• Agree 2

I try to touch base with someone on the site OOC before joining though honestly it's been yeaaaaars and years since I've joined a site that someone hasn't personally invited me to join. The cbox and looking at IC posts in the RP areas are a good reference, and honestly I'll take a look at the who plays who and see if people on the staff accounts are posting. If staff is actively posting I'll consider the site alive... if there's no present staff I'll assume it's on the way out the door. Definitely take into account the holidays and such things I haven't got my own personal activity up since the holiday season lol, and I know some of my members are still awakening from the holiday coma as well...

I look for the last in character post. If it's been longer than a week, I'll dig around a little more to see if this is just how quickly people post. So if I consistently see an IC post is made at least once a week, the site's active. If this looks like a lull, I'll poke around to see if I can see a reason for the lull. For example, has a lot of people posted a LOA? When was the last time any of the staff checked into their site?

• Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png