How do You Judge a Site's Activity

Dragon

For me, sometimes worthiness on whether or not I join a site isn't so much about their activity-level as it is about just the community themselves. I've seen sites that are extremely active that were full of toxic people, and some that were close to death but have a handful of lovely and accepting people who still post now and then. I will take the latter over the former any day. The problem with that is you can't always tell what a community is like from the surface -- everyone always wants to put their best foot forward when a new person shows up. I get duped a lot lol.

Often I judge a site's activity/community based on how many members and how many characters there are. I generally consider a site with about 20-30 members as active without too much drama. Less than that and you lose activity, more than that, and you start to gain too many cooks in the kitchen.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

yi1tXyG.jpg

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

The first place I go is  to the active threads, and read a few of them. This gives me an idea of the characters on the site, some of the plots happening, and if I would be interested in becoming part of the community. Then I tend to look at their chat box/discord, to see how responsive staff/members are.

I am more focused on writing than community, usually, when joining. So I look at when the last posts were, when the last announcement was, when the last event was (if applicable). I also look at how many users were online today, but I look at it with a grain of salt. I was on a board once where the admin had give or take 15 characters and just switched through all of her accounts each morning to make that number look really high. Sometimes look to see when the last application was accepted.

Edited by Thyme
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I don't really always even consider "activity" before joining if it's a setting and a story that capture my imagination. If you build it, people will come. If you have something compelling, then interested folks will make their way to you over the miasma of the internet so long as you 1) don't give up and 2) keep writing. I actually prefer small sites because they're more intimate and tend to have less drama. I can get easily overwhelmed by large, busy sites. I want to write with a core group of people who "get it," which larger sites suddenly call a "clique" and get defensive about sometimes.

Activity is what you make of it. If there's a handful of folks willing to just ... keep ... going on their dreamchild of a forum? Good. Do it. I'm so there with you. 

So, I guess ... I don't really "judge a site's activity," unless, of course, nothing has been posted for a few months anywhere or their Discord is a ghost town or unfriendly. Then, well, maybe I have opinions. Har. Other than that, the best way to make a site active is to participate.

• Agree 3

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

I check recent topics, the chat box, and even OOC sections. If nothing has been posted in over a  month I usually high tail it. I tend to look everywhere, too, just to make sure. 

spacer.png

SCI-FI ORIGINAL RPG

I check recent topics, recently online, and the OOC sections such as applications. Is it many people roleplaying, or just a tiny group roleplaying with each other for months on end?

I think for me it is all down to the site itself. If there are threads being made on the forum, as in actual role play threads, and not all in plotters or apps or even the oc area, then i think its good to go. I want something semi fast paced, so if actual threads are active, even if the chat areas are not then im down.

user posted image                                                                                              

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing I check is the cbox. While most sites aren't crazy about cboxs anymore....if the last message was over three months ago, it kinda goes without saying that it's probably dead. If it's fairly recent, like within the last two weeks or so, then I'll check latest posts and how many people have been on today. Then I go down the list and see how active each forum is, and if there have been posts within that month, that's usually good enough for me. 

• Agree 1